mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Maxxis IKON or Ignitor for rear all over Colorado and UT?

Looking for a recommendation for the type of rocky mt riding -

Currently running an Ardent 2.25 rr and Rampage 2.35 frt (29ers). Have held up well but I would suggest the Ardent is a wee bit sluggish on the rear and straightline grip could be a bit better - been durable and no issues with all the rocks

Plan to keep the Rampage on front and replace with Ardent 2.4 in future...

down to the IKON and Ignitor - IKON knobs seem "smaller" than I'd normally use - but maybe time to open the mind?

Grip (climbing) in mostly dry - rocky, dusty conditions, but will get some wet depending on trails. Riding the kokopelli from Fruita to Moab in 2 weekends...

thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Looks like we'll be riding together, then.

I've been using Ignitors out here (I'm in Colorado Springs) with very good success for the past 4 years now and have done the Kokopelli Trail twice with them so far. They're good on just about everything, though I can't say I've had a lot of mud time with them. Gravel roads, rocks, sharp ledge type rocks, roots, sand and hardpack. No issues. They're probably not the fastest tires out there, but definitely not the slowest. And they seem pretty tough. At the risk of jinxing myself, I've never ripped a sidewall or blown one out. I use 'em on both front and rear.

I just converted to tubeless and they're doing a pretty good job of holding air with Stan's and no sign of the dreaded bubbling the Ikons are having.

All in all, the Ignitors are a very good choice.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    I actually run the Ikon as a front tire and the CrossMark as a rear. They work grate and hook up really well on the stuff around the front range. The only time I have any problem is when its super dry and the powder sand starts to build up in places.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks Skiahh and Pulser - good info,

I've found the exo versions of both of these avail online - about $10 diff. Need to make decision and your info def helps

Skiahh - are you running the exo version?

Pulser - is that you on the Track (on the red Triumph i believe?) I raced here with the MRA - out of the big boy stuff now (racing 2smoke mini's on kart tracks now). Still ride my ducati or aprilia on weekends - have a great group of Euro riders out of Denver. We meet in Golden on Sat mornings and than go enjoy the canyons

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    Thanks Skiahh and Pulser - good info,

I've found the exo versions of both of these avail online - about $10 diff. Need to make decision and your info def helps

Skiahh - are you running the exo version?

Pulser - is that you on the Track (on the red Triumph i believe?) I raced here with the MRA - out of the big boy stuff now (racing 2smoke mini's on kart tracks now). Still ride my ducati or aprilia on weekends - have a great group of Euro riders out of Denver. We meet in Golden on Sat mornings and than go enjoy the canyons
    Yea thats me. Its a 99 Triumph Daytona 955i. I don't get out on it much the last few years. It just gets me in too much trouble.

mtbr member
    Nope, just the basic Ignitor. I've thought about EXO and keep saying I'll buy some, but at the last bike sale (where I usually stock up on spare parts), there were no EXOs, so I got the regular ones with no worries.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

not so super...
    Get the EXO version of either tire. IMO the Ikon is better on solid rock surfaces than the Ignitor.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA View Post
    Get the EXO version of either tire. IMO the Ikon is better on solid rock surfaces than the Ignitor.
    That may be, but how often do we ride strictly on solid rock surfaces?

For Kokopelli, there will be dirt, rocks, ledgy type rocks and drops, loose gravel, sand, a bit of pavement and, of course, some slickrock.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Curiously ambivalent
    Jul 2009
    I have ridden both a lot and won't go back to the Ikons, at least not in front. The Ignitors simply hook up better on loose dirt. I had too many crashes from cornering at high speed on the Ikons.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Im happy with the IKON EXO as a front tire 90% of the time, but it has washed out on loose over hard surface. I'm not sure of any tire that would hook up on this surface. Also be prepared to deal with the "bubbles" on the IKON if they havent fixed the issue

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I like my rear Ignitor Exo. I had a regular Ignitor at first, but slashed a sidewall on some exposed rock in the Buffalo Creek area. Replaced with an Exo and have had no problems since. I did accidentally install it backwards (oops) and have noticed that it doesn't work as well in loose conditions. It's like Maxxis designed directional tread for a reason.

I also have a 2.4 Ardent up front and can recommend the combo.

mtbr member
    I'm currently running the Rampage front and the Maxxis Crossmark rear and I love it. Grippy and light as a rear tire, the Crossmark has been a great rear tire for me. No complaints, runs great as tubeless.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for all the great input - gonna be riding Ardent 2.4 up front and Ikon Exo rear -

ill post back after i complete the kokopelli with my impressions - but anticipate it will be a good combo as its similar to my current setup except the rear - and also the recommended setup by 'fruitafrank' as posted on the bikerpelli facebook page for the ride