Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Maxxis Ikon EXO on Stan's Crest Tubeless?

I need to replace a rear tire on a Stan's Crest rim (see my post yesterday about my Specialized 2Bliss fiasco in 'Wheels and Tires'). Does anyone have experience with mounting/running a Maxxis Ikon EXO on a Stan's Crest rim with Stan's sealant in a tubeless configuration?
    Last edited by dcubed; 09-03-2012 at 06:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Worked fine on my bike. No issues with that exact setup.

Twin Six METAL Team
    Works fine for me as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Check out the thread about the bubbling issue...

Maxxis Ikon EXO 29er "Long Term" Review

Twin Six METAL Team
    Weird. I've been running them on both my Niner's, and haven't had an issue. Wonder if there was a bad batch or something.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgardner73 View Post
    Weird. I've been running them on both my Niner's, and haven't had an issue. Wonder if there was a bad batch or something.
    That's what I was wondering too. I have got a lot of racing scene and industry contacts in my country and I have never heard of the bubbling issue until I saw that topic. Lots of riders racing Ikon's here in the Netherlands.

Offcourse, the MTBR forum works like a magnet for faulty products, but those topics say nothing about the quality of the tire in general. We simply do not know the total number of tires sold and returned.

My Ikon EXO's work great on Crests. Very easy to seat and seal. Great tire. Grippy, durable, reasonably allround and fast.

hispanic mechanic
    As far as I can tell, Maxxis had an issue with older tires and ammonia heavy sealants. It's been a while since anyone I know has had a bubbling issue, so I believe it to be taken care of.
    For what it's worth, I'm on Bontrager rims, but running Maxxis tires (Ardent front/Ikon rear,) tubeless for some time now. I've set up a few customer's bikes with Ikons on Crests, easy set up.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I have that exact setup on my Tallboy with the same tires since February. No issues at all, seals well and it is a great tire. I need to replace rear and I am going to get the same one. The only thing is check your pressure before every ride, they tend to airdown a bit faster than my Kings.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I mounted an Ikon EXO on my crest rim with a tube (per several poster's recommendations) the first inflation did not fully seat so I sprayed some soapy water on the bead. The second inflation seemed to seat properly. I will let it sit overnight and then set it tubleless w/ Stan's.

wnymba-imba ~VP
    Sep 2009
    i have arch and arch ex rims and have only used maxxis tires exo and exc for the past 2 years with no issues. i personally have used the ikon exo this year tubeless with stans...no issues.

funny mention about the bubbling?! my friend had that happen to one of his ignitors.
    www.wnymba.org
    Building trails and keeping them open...

Niner Air9C

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    These set up flawless for me with a Lezyne Floor Pump. Got the beads to seat in less than 30 seconds with no sealant or anything in them... Super easy!

mtbr member
    needed my compressor to get it sealed up, but works perfectly.
    '14 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5"
    '11 Giant Anthem X1 29er
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

mtbr member
    I used to run Ikon EXO's on my American Classic 29 tubeless wheels with no dramas.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I run them on Arch Ex rims. I bent the hell out of a wheel last week and the Ikon still held air and showed no damage. Great tires

ADIDAB
    I picked up a new wheelset last week with Arch EX's and bought a set of Ikon EXC's to go with them. I'm a noob to tubeless and found that although the tyres were initally a little tight to get on they aired up no problem with my floor pump. With sealant, the tyres have held their pressure pretty well. I guess time will tell in regards to durability with this set up but the first few rides have been pretty impressive...
    My LBS | Riding this and this

mtbr member
    I have a pair on crests for about a year- sealed up with floor pump, no soap. ghetto'ed: a layer of gorilla tape and WSS 1.0 homebrew sealant.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    This setup will never work.

mtbr member
    Got mine seated to crest rim after a bit of sweating and swearing with floor pump, generally happy with tyre, ive had a few scary moments cornering on loose stuff, i think im going down, then the tyre grips again :-)
    Running 24psi up front, should i try a bit higher?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1017 View Post
    This setup will never work.
    Personal experience?

mtbr member
    Not sure what your issue was with the Specialized tires but I've run them tubless with stans for years with not one issue. I've always found them to be very easy to seat and normally can be done with a floor pump. But I know all rims are different. Case in point could not get a set of Conti Race Kings to even com eclose to seating.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Ikon Exos on flows no issues at all for last 7 months. Mounts easier than Geax tires (Still a Saguaro fan though).
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Sounds like some people may just don't know how to install tubeless tires....

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    They fitted so well, I thought this tire was specifically developed for this rim.

mtbr member
    I've been running this setup since December, ridden a few races and ride about 6 days a week, and have never had a problem.
    Yeti SB-66 Carbon

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronpass View Post
    Sounds like some people may just don't know how to install tubeless tires....
    Sounds like some people just don't write English so good

To be fair, the poster probably had it right. I replaced the rear tire with a Maxxis Ikon. The whole process went smoothly. I still think a sidewall tear is a bigger issue with a tubeless setup; Stan's just won't seal the tears as well as punctures. That said, I will probably continue to roll tubeless for the advantage of running lower tire pressure

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast