Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Tried an Ardent 2.4 on the front?
    They still roll very nicely.
    No but I'm thinking if the ikon doesn't work out in front after a while ( or wears out) I'll try the ardent, or a 2.3 spec ground control.

mtbr member
    Quick question for you guys on the Ikon 2.35
    I have the 2.2's on the F&R on my Lefty and love them...
    What I'm thinking about doing is running the 2.35 F&R on my Tandem.
    Most of the Tandem Teams run the Ardents 2.4 but what I'm reading is they don't roll that fast.
    I'm using Conti Protection 2.4 Xking F&R at the moment and was looking for something less weight and fast rolling would these 2.35 do the trick??

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Xc mike, I ran a xking 2.4 protection out back for a small while, the tire only lasted me like 300 miles. But I do prefer the ikon over it in all respects. IMO there was nothing the xking did better. The ikon is slightly bigger volume wise as well, not much but it's bigger and the tread pattern is wider.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    I run an Ikon 2.35 rear and DHF 2.3 on my Honzo. Its good combo for dry to slightly dustry trails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    2.35 upfront for me. More cushin' for the pushin'.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by 993rs View Post
    2.35 upfront for me. More cushin' for the pushin'.
    Yes. Keep in mind - the psi is KEY! Too many over-inflate their XC lower knob mountain bike tires and don't reap the benefits of just how a 29"er tire can really perform in most environments so well. An Ikon 2.35 on the front of my wife's bike is like glue at 15 psi. Traction, suspension, cornering, braking and it all works to her delight. The same 2.35 Ikon tire pumped up in the 20's for her weight (113) bounces all over the place for her. It performs great for me at 23-24 psi up front due to my weight (175).

Not that it would matter, but when people post about the Ikon 2.35 (or other tires) it would be informative to know what psi the tire is being run and what the rider weight is. Not that every gauge measures the same, but at least we'd have more information to add to one's opinion when they state it.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    18psi, 23mm rim, 185 lbs.

The Original Suspect
    Just got done installing an Ikon 2.35 as a rear. Man this is a big tire. I plan on running it about 25 lbs to start and adjust from there. I weigh about 170 geared up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    19 psi (155 lbs) on a wider NOX rim, usually rigid and sometimes a Rockshox fork.

Perpetual n00b
    Ikons did not fail me today

The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    18psi, 23mm rim, 185 lbs.
    The tyres were a bit low so yesterday I pumped them up too much so I could let them down to 18f/20r before today's ride.
    I forgot to let them down.

It rolled REALLY nicely. It went so well, I couldn't wait to get home and find what pressures were.

18f/20r
    Surprised the hell out of me, I can tell you.
    Was sure there was at least 22f/24r in there.

Now I'm trying to work out what was different about the ride than normal...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    Ikons did not fail me today

Where is this?

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOrca View Post
    Where is this?
    I'll never tell!

Hood river, Oregon
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    A little over a month on the ikon 2.35 both f and r. Abandoning the ikon on the front. It's my favorite rear tire, but it doesn't let me push through anything on the front. It rolls up hill fast, and when I finally gather the cash to build a more xc bike, I'd throw one on the front, but for my do everything bike they let me down when it came to cornering on anything other than dry hard pack.

So I said screw it and ordered a dhf for up front, I ain't racing anyways, so why not have fun. We will see atleast I'm hoping with this combo that I won't be afraid to take it anywhere for trips out of state.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Just discovered this tire and it sounded exactly like what I was looking for in a rear tire. I already knew the Ikon had a good reputation but was seeking something both fat and relatively light for the dry season(summer) here in Victoria Canada.
    My bike is a Motobecane Fly Ti 29er w/XTR. Yeah, it sounds like a strictly XC bike and perhaps it is but I have made it more trail with certain tweaks like a beefier Formula Volo Scandium rear wheel (the front is a light weight Crest but I figured I can get away with it as I am only 160lbs), wider bar, short stem and most importantly tires.
    I also chose the 3x front because I must ride to the trail and I need a granny for our local terrain. I also figure that a light titanium frame should make for a great toosable trail bike that can handle some rough treatment while being a bit smoother for long rides and while the Maxxis Beaver was great for the soggy conditions here(not to mention extremely light) , now that its dry I wanted something that could both further smooth out the ride and provide more grip.
    I chose the lighter exc version because ,despite the reputation BC has for it trails, I rarely slash the sidewalls here(perhaps all the rain tends to smooth out the rocks?).
    Anyways, I just finished my first real ride, my typical 45km(28mile) loop that begins on pavement in town to bike path to double track/fire road made up of hard pack and finer gravel on hard pack to actual single track which again is hard pack to loose rock over hard pack to loose dusty dirt and bare mountain rock.
    I was immediately happy with its rolling. For such a fat tire it rolls quite well. I should mention that I run both tires in their early 20s with my front being a Conti MK2 2.4".
    What probably stood out most to me, and this kind of surprised me as I didn't think a rear tire would make this kind of improvement, was fast cornering on finer gravel over hard pack. The bike gave me so much more confidence and responded well to how I handl4ed the bike. It plain hooks up without the vague feeling I had with the Beaver(mind you the Beaver isn't designed for this kind of terrain and is only 2.0" but still...). This was very noticeable.
    Once at the actual trail area called Hartland or the Dump(its next to our regional dump, only the best for us mountain bikers. Lol) I climb this shorter steep switchback trail that is mostly hard pack with some fine loose stuff and the typical roots which are everywhere in BC- this thing hooked up great, no spinning. A rock ledge soon came up and I wondered how this new tire would handle this challenge-again, no issues, the sheer volume combined with their tread pattern and compound grabbed onto the rock. This is always a balancing act as I have to unweight the rear to get the back end up and over then may need to immediately have grip if momentum isn't enough to complete the section. There are lots of these kinds of features here and while skill and strength are the biggest factor traction sure helps when lacking in either area and these tires impress.
    Now I am at the main horrible fire road the steeply winds its way up our little hill here and its often covered in chunky loose rock. Now, no tire can prevent a spin when torqued on top of a larger rock but this thing did recover fast once over it and generally seemed to have more grip than I am accustomed to. It was also here that I was happy to not notice the extra weight compared to the extremely light(500g) Beaver.
    Finally, the last noticeable improvement was a smooth rock feature that is basically, 2 sections with a root running along the best line. It is further made tricky by the light dusting of dirt from other riders coming down the opposite direction. I see that most guys on FS bikes make this look easy but on a hardtail it takes power and a carefull balance as you must stand and climb while appying the right amount of power and weight to the back end. I am 42 and a smoker and not the best of riders , I ride for fun, and think I beat this once and no I did not beat it this tuime either but I wasn't really trying. I was surprised how far I got though considering I wasn't seriously trying to conquar this thing on this particular day. It hooked up better than anticipated despite the slippery dust which I honestly thought would affect all tires no matter how fat.
    Well, thats it for now, got to go to work. Just thought I would add my experiances seeing as its was noted and obvious after having just installed it.
    Happy trails.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Thinking of migrating my front 2.35 Ikon to the rear, replacing the 2.2 Ikon and trying a 2.4 Ardent on the front.
    It'll help the rear and give a little more winter grip in the front.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Flucod View Post
    Careful with that Ardent 2.4 in the front, in hard cornering there is a dead spot in the tread design that under the right circumstances the tire just washes out. I thought it was a string of bad luck when I kept having the front wheel break free and down I would go. Changed it out and it has not happened since. There is another thread somewhere that speaks of this.

Weight 215lbs, 21 Psi front and back
    Let's not forget proper set up with plenty of one's weight over the front wheel for cornering and technique. I've seen guys rail turns on Nano's in mud and rain, guys nail turns on DH runs with Small Blocks and minimal tread tires.

"Run whatcha brung" and "skills prevents kills" seem to rule the day for this sport. Not saying good rubber doesn't help, but in the hands of a skilled rider - it's amazing what can be accomplished out there on the trail.

The Ikon 2.35 makes for a pretty great front (and rear) aggressive XC tire.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I had to relearn how to push through turns after putting the dhf up front instead of the ikon. The ikons forced me to ride my bike like it was an xc bike. Which is good and bad.

The ikon never instilled any confidence up front for me, off camber roots and rocks didn't pair well with it out front either. Out back it rocks, unfortunately I don't see it lasting too long as I'm starting to rip knobs already, but good thing iv got 2

The dhf up front is more than I need for the majority of my riding, but I can't complain as it rolls faster than the mkii that the ikon originally replaced. That and I can once again push hard through my favorite sections of trail, and I don't worry about landing on loose rock or roots anymore after going airborne. I think I'd run this combo anywhere dry and be completely happy. We will see when I get it on some more dh trails hopefully soon.

Rocks belong
    So which has larger volume? The 2.35 Ikon EXO or the 2.4 Ardent?

For rear use on a 29er HT
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Flucod View Post
    Careful with that Ardent 2.4 in the front, in hard cornering there is a dead spot in the tread design that under the right circumstances the tire just washes out.
    Interesting. Most threads relating to this complain about the 2.25 Ardent not the 2.4

Cactus Cuddler
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    So which has larger volume? The 2.35 Ikon EXO or the 2.4 Ardent?

For rear use on a 29er HT
    The look the same - but I broke out some calipers and the Ardent is in fact a touch wider.
    That said: Run the 2.35 Ikon out back because it's awesome. Seriously awesome.

As far as the Ardent feeling a bit wash-y.... I've had that problem and experienced it, and it's basically about having the widely space transition knobs - on some loose over hard it basically gets the worst of both worlds, and doesn't really want to grab. Lean it over further, and it'll bite... but it's spookier than necessary getting there, and the limit at the farther end is still not particularly high. The 2.4 is better about it because the tread is slightly taller, but that's just how the Ardent design works - and it's fine over true hardpack, works over slickrock, and makes it behave better than similar tires might in mud, but loose over hard that range of lean angles just sucks in my experience - and full lean is a full commitment exercise (and why I'm really glad I run a fat Ikon out back that will let go very predictably just before the front).

If they made a 2.5 Minion DHR2 I'd probably run that out front instead, I still might move to the 2.3 DHR2 just to get that tread pattern out front, or just eat the rolling resistance and weight penalty of the 2.5 DHF monster truck tire out front.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Well, all this talk about the Ikon made me curious. My trail are loose over hard, sandy, with a decent amount of roots and some rocks. I picked up a brand new Ardent 2.4 and Ikon 2.35 to compare against a 2.35NN and 2.35RaRa.

Schwalbe is the tire a lot of people run in the area, and the RaRa doesn't seem to suffer from the advanced wear that a lot of users post about. Mounted both up tubeless on Blunt35's last night (w/ the help of a compressor, vs. floor pump for Schwalbe). Well, the Ardent really doesn't "appear" to be much bigger than the 2.35" NN I have mounted on FlowEX rims, and the same goes for the Ikon/RaRa. But the Maxxis tires are brand new, so I will compare more in a month or so after they have stretched.

I have to spend more time w/ the Ardent to determine the ideal tire pressure, but for me the NN outperformed the Ardent as a front tire. The transition did seam a little odd and uneasy for me, but again...I need to play more. The Ikon is clearly outshined by the RaRa in the braking dept, the Ikon really loved to break loose...I was dragging the rear a lot more than I remember w/ the RaRa.

I will add these are mounted on my rigid SS Karate Monkey, and as promised the do provide relief from some of the smaller roots and rocks. I am also very new to rigid (I have a rigid fat bike, but that is a 4.8" tire on 80mm rim), and the downhill rough stuff is still teeth chattering.

MTB B'dos
    You're doing it wrong obviously, not having enough fun or your mouth would be open all the way hooting and hollering as you go Seriously do find the 2.35" Ikon is a bit drifty on loose over hardpack under braking, haven't ridden a RaRa in so long can't say for sure, but can't remember them being any better, but climbing traction with the Ikon is loads better, definitely don't have to work as hard as I did with the RaRa.

Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    ...........I will add these are mounted on my rigid SS Karate Monkey, and as promised they do provide relief from some of the smaller roots and rocks. I am also very new to rigid (I have a rigid fat bike, but that is a 4.8" tire on 80mm rim), and the downhill rough stuff is still teeth chattering.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The Ikons are cheaper and will last way longer than the RaRa.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Seriously do find the 2.35" Ikon is a bit drifty on loose over hardpack under braking, haven't ridden a RaRa in so long can't say for sure, but can't remember them being any better, but climbing traction with the Ikon is loads better, definitely don't have to work as hard as I did with the RaRa.
    I will pay attention to climbing, which typically isn't a large issue in my area. I am really looking for more cush in the rear, and a stellar front tire...as the front tire in my area does 80% of the work.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonerider View Post
    The Ikons are cheaper and will last way longer than the RaRa.
    The Ikon 3C EXO TR my lbs ordered wasn't much cheaper than a RaRa Snakeskin EVO

Always Learning
    I will pay attention to climbing, which typically isn't a large issue in my area. I am really looking for more cush in the rear, and a stellar front tire...as the front tire in my area does 80% of the work.

The Ikon 3C EXO TR my lbs ordered wasn't much cheaper than a RaRa Snakeskin EVO
    You are comparing some great tires there. I love the Ikon 2.35s, the Racing Ralph 2.4's and now 2.35's (I've got that combo on my SS Karate Monkey), the Nobby Nics and the Ardent 2.4's. All great tires, but the Ikon and Racing Ralph are really XC oriented race tires. Braking during an XC race? Please. Minimal braking at best to scrub as little speed as possible. That's why I run a 140mm rotor in the rear. Who needs to brake during a race?

The side lugs are taller on the 2.35 Ikons than their smaller 2.2 sibling, but the extra volume does provide a better footprint in the rear for better traction on out of saddle climb efforts than the 2.2's. Racing Ralph's - no matter what size - do out climb traction wise the Ikon in my experience simply due to the taller center lugs. Nobby Nic front, Ralph rear certainly would be a great combo if one's terrain has a lot of loose, dusty, dry and you need dig to corner.

My wife digs her Ikon 2.35's front and rear.

She likes to brake a lot

I still adhere to the reality that for XC riding and racing, the Ikon 2.35 is a pretty aggressive tire on a 29"er.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    You are comparing some great tires there. I love the Ikon 2.35s, the Racing Ralph 2.4's and now 2.35's (I've got that combo on my SS Karate Monkey), the Nobby Nics and the Ardent 2.4's. All great tires, but the Ikon and Racing Ralph are really XC oriented race tires. Braking during an XC race? Please. Minimal braking at best to scrub as little speed as possible. That's why I run a 140mm rotor in the rear. Who needs to brake during a race?

The side lugs are taller on the 2.35 Ikons than their smaller 2.2 sibling, but the extra volume does provide a better footprint in the rear for better traction on out of saddle climb efforts than the 2.2's. Racing Ralph's - no matter what size - do out climb traction wise the Ikon in my experience simply due to the taller center lugs. Nobby Nic front, Ralph rear certainly would be a great combo if one's terrain has a lot of loose, dusty, dry and you need dig to corner.

My wife digs her Ikon 2.35's front and rear.

She likes to brake a lot

I still adhere to the reality that for XC riding and racing, the Ikon 2.35 is a pretty aggressive tire on a 29"er.
    I can't help but notice...is the rear tire reversed on that bike?

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    I can't help but notice...is the rear tire reversed on that bike?
    No, there is only the Maxxis yellow lettering on the rear tire (on both sides) as it is one of the original Ikon 2.35 test tires and didn't have any of the names or logos on it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    No, there is only the Maxxis yellow lettering on the rear tire (on both sides) as it is one of the original Ikon 2.35 test tires and didn't have any of the names or logos on it.
    I wish all of the Ikons were void of that sh!t. They are really getting carried away with all the logos.

As far as breaking, I do agree that they are race oriented tires, but you aren't going fast enough on the rest of the trails if you don't have to use the breaks in a corner! ha

The Ardent feels a lot different in a (loose over hard) corner than a NN. For some reason it "feels" a lot harder, like its not connected.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    How does the Conti X-King 2.4 Protection Black Chili compare to the Ikon 2.35? Anyone compared on front or rear?

I keep hearing good things about the black chili and want to try it, sounds like it should be better when the trail has wet spots?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Horrorshow View Post
    How does the Conti X-King 2.4 Protection Black Chili compare to the Ikon 2.35? Anyone compared on front or rear?

I keep hearing good things about the black chili and want to try it, sounds like it should be better when the trail has wet spots?
    There is nothing the 2.4 xking does better than the ikon in the rear IMO. I ran one, it wore very quickly. Rolled alright. The ikon 2.35 is similar volume, maybe a hair bigger. I liked the black chili compound on the set of conti mkii tires I owned, but did not care for the xking. The x king did nothing special for me. I may have gotten a bad one though, it lasted all of 200 miles before knobs were falling apart.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    The Ikon 2.35 is much bigger than the XKing 2.4.
    I'm running the XKing on my rigid ss 26" and the Ikon on my 29" hard tail ss.
    Nothing bad to say about the Contis or icons.
    Last edited by NordieBoy; 07-11-2015 at 03:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    my update
    the ikon 2.35 on AC wide lightning as front
    in the loos and debris this summer not much of traction for cornering

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I would like to try an Ikon 2.35 as a rear tyre. Sounds like a good tyre for me here..

What front would you recommend? Was thinking about an Ardent...

Want something that corners well for some trail use..

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Ardent 2.4 on the front.

mtbr member
    2.42!? Are you sure you're reading it right? 2.31 for the Ardent sounds bang on (going by Arts Cyclery Web site of 2.30). According to AC, the Ikon comes in at 2.25 (tread) 2.17 (casing). Hopefully it's not as big as you claim ^^ as I'm waiting for one in the mail...

-------------------------------------
    Opinions are like A-holes... everybody
    has one & they're usually full of...??
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The 2.35 Ikon is definitely a big tire.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    The Ardent should stretch a little with a few miles on it.

mtbr member
    lol!! You're almost pinch flatting that Ardent! And you're barely touching the Ikon!

MTB B'dos
    Correct, the casing will stretch out a decent amount, should end up the same casing width as the Ikon, AFAIK, they're both built on the same casing.
    The Ardent should stretch a little with a few miles on it.

achiever
    Re: Ardent 2.4 grip for a front tire. I ran them for a while, both front & back. I really liked the grip on the rear & the front felt great until it got leaned over in a turn. It wound grip, grip, grip & then let go. I'm liking the Ikon 2.35's much better.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Ikon 29 2.35. Exo not TR, setup tubeless fine so far. Weight 719g. With a 26mm inner width rim, It's a huge tire that has low rolling resistance and more grip than it looks like it should. Pairs nicely with Nobby Nic 29x2.35 up front. Running 26-28 psi at 180 rider weight and measuring 2.4" wide! I would not run it up front, but I would guess for XC riding it would be ok. I ride rough rocky and root laden trails on the weekends with generally high moisture (western NC) and wouldn't trust it up front. If it holds up and continues to perform I think this is my new go to summer rear tire.

MTB B'dos
    And yet you trust a Nobby Nic? Have to admit, once it stays dry, the NN is a pretty nice tyre, but once you get some moisture the think is very scary compared to a Maxxis tyre, seriously. If I were you I'd give a DHF, HR2 or even DHR2 a try in 3C compound upfront to find out what "real" grip is on wet rocks and mossy rocks or at leats the most you might get from a tyre.

Quote Originally Posted by skey44 View Post
    Ikon 29 2.35. Exo not TR, setup tubeless fine so far. Weight 719g. With a 26mm inner width rim, It's a huge tire that has low rolling resistance and more grip than it looks like it should. Pairs nicely with Nobby Nic 29x2.35 up front. Running 26-28 psi at 180 rider weight and measuring 2.4" wide! I would not run it up front, but I would guess for XC riding it would be ok. I ride rough rocky and root laden trails on the weekends with generally high moisture (western NC) and wouldn't trust it up front. If it holds up and continues to perform I think this is my new go to summer rear tire.

mtbr member
    And yet you trust a Nobby Nic? Have to admit, once it stays dry, the NN is a pretty nice tyre, but once you get some moisture the think is very scary compared to a Maxxis tyre, seriously. If I were you I'd give a DHF, HR2 or even DHR2 a try in 3C compound upfront to find out what "real" grip is on wet rocks and mossy rocks or at leats the most you might get from a tyre.
    Didn't they redo the NN for 2015? I wonder if it's better. I have tried one up front in the past and was also not impressed. Between that and the uber fast wear of the Racing ralph on the rear I've sworn off schwalbe. Ill admit I'm a bit of a maxxis fanboy but I'm still loving this tire on the front of my 29er hardtail and on the rear of my 27.5 fs bike. They really hit it out of the park with this one

mtbr member
    Just installed Ikon 2.35 on 25.5mm internal width rim... it measures 55mm (tread).

The current Ardent up front, on the same rim - measures 60mm (tread).

Guessing the Ardent has stretched over time. But, I don't think 5mm would be likely.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    Just installed Ikon 2.35 on 25.5mm internal width rim... it measures 55mm (tread).

The current Ardent up front, on the same rim - measures 60mm (tread).

Guessing the Ardent has stretched over time. But, I don't think 5mm would be likely.
    It will stretch given time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I have the NN 2015 trail-star (softer) triple compound with SnakeSkin sidewall and love it, I run the Hans Dampf ft and rr for enduro racing. The NN sticks very well for me and has a nice low mass. This is admittedly my first attempt with maxxis tires.

mtbr member
    First ride on Ikon today... 600+m of climbing then a short-ish descent. Tire climbs fine... Not sold on descending prowess yet ;-)

Sent from my Kin[G]_Pad

MTB B'dos
    Wel, can't say I don't blame you if you're on loose/dry powdery stuff, if you're on nice hard compacted, tacky dirt or rocks, we or dry the Ikons work great, but the loose stuff they are not great for braking and or steering, not if you're accustomed to something with more bite and carrying serious speed and braking late on top of that. A 2.35" Ikon with beefed up side knobs would be a great compliment to a normal Ikon on the rear or if Maxxis will ever listen a 2.35" Ignitor.

First ride on Ikon today... 600+m of climbing then a short-ish descent. Tire climbs fine... Not sold on descending prowess yet ;-)

Sent from my Kin[G]_Pad

Trail Ninja
    It doesn't suck at descending. It just sucks at braking. If you're trying to hit the brakes on descents (braking in the spots it doesn't like), unable to handle the extra speed and lack of rolling resistance, why not go back to a slower tire? My best times are on Ikons, and it's always bone dry.

mtbr member
    I think we need to keep in mind that the Ikon, even the 2.35 version, is still a xc or "light trail" tire. Of course it won't have the cornering or braking grip of a true all-mountain/enduro tire. But for what it is, it truly is a near perfect tire IMO. Light weight, great rolling resistance, big volume and reasonable grip all in one. Love mine on the front of my xc race bike and the back of my trail bike

MTB B'dos
    For me, yeah braking sucks on what we've got now, which is seriously loose from being ridden on so much over hard, back just likes to step out. Haven't run it on the front since I was testing the 2.2" version and I think I was riding a bit slower back then, also more on rocks and weather wasn't so dry, so more tacky dirt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    It doesn't suck at descending. It just sucks at braking. If you're trying to hit the brakes on descents (braking in the spots it doesn't like), unable to handle the extra speed and lack of rolling resistance, why not go back to a slower tire? My best times are on Ikons, and it's always bone dry.
    You are right, for it's intended design, the tyre is excellent, no two ways about that.
    I think we need to keep in mind that the Ikon, even the 2.35 version, is still a xc or "light trail" tire. Of course it won't have the cornering or braking grip of a true all-mountain/enduro tire. But for what it is, it truly is a near perfect tire IMO. Light weight, great rolling resistance, big volume and reasonable grip all in one. Love mine on the front of my xc race bike and the back of my trail bike

mtbr member
    Trails were hardpack over rooty, rocky... w/ a dab of moisture. I have bought it for endurance type events, so speed over grip. 2.2 Ardent Race does ok despite being quite narrow w/ smaller teeth.

mtbr member
    Going to try the Ikon up front w/ Michelin Wild Race'R 2.25 out back... Likely next weekend ^^

Sent from my Kin[G]_Pad ™

Formerly of Kent
    Going to try the Ikon up front w/ Michelin Wild Race'R 2.25 out back... Likely next weekend ^^

Sent from my Kin[G]_Pad
    That might be my next tire combo, too. High volume, fast.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    That might be my next tire combo, too. High volume, fast.
    If I like how the WR'2 handles, it'll be my race day setup ^^

There's always next year.

This. (Also what Lynx said.) I've got some time on these tires now, and this is a great description of them. I wonder if people see the width, and think "Endurobro" tire, and run it expecting crazy grip and still have great rolling resistance. The truth is, if you know what you are doing, its an amazing tire. I feel that it's a tire that doesn't suffer fools or inexperienced riders--I'm speaking from experience on this one; been dumped off the bike when I pushed too hard in a corner, but also gained some PRs on some downhill sections as well.

They are fast tires, with a descent to good amount of grip as well. Liked them in smaller 2.2 size, and absolutely love them in this 2.35 size. Everything that was there in the smaller size is extra awesome!

The Original Suspect
    All of a sudden, mine doesn't hold air for shit...

Mavic Crossmax wheels (UST)
    Stans Sealant, added recently (within 2 weeks)

Valve stem is fine, no thorns, rips or tears.

I lose 15lbs overnight. Can't figure out why...

MTB B'dos
    Fill a tub or barrel with enough water to immerse a good bit of it and rotate around and look for air bubbles releasing. Go slowly, could be very small ones that you can hear. I'd guess you have a puncture or hole you can't see or maybe you dinged your rim and didn't see it and that's where it's slowly leaking from.

Quote Originally Posted by HitmenOnlyInc View Post
    All of a sudden, mine doesn't hold air for shit...

Mavic Crossmax wheels (UST)
    Stans Sealant, added recently (within 2 weeks)

Valve stem is fine, no thorns, rips or tears.

I lose 15lbs overnight. Can't figure out why...

The Original Suspect
    When I added sealant, it held fine and I thought it was just dried out Stan's. Now I'm in the same boat. To be fair the tire is not a TR tire but is is a 3C 120tpi tire. I didn't have any problem for the first month it was installed then I went on vacation and found it almost flat...

mtbr member

Good job!

I am holding out for an Ikon 3" or even 3.5" for a 29+ FS on 50mm rims. Fast and a little bit of that Fat Bike sensation.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    What is the biggest non fat 29 inch tire available. Seems like 2.4 is the biggest I have seen. Anyone make something like a 2.6 orb2.7?

mtbr member
    Ordered up an Ikon yesterday to put on the front of my ride. Already running the 2.2 Ikon on the rear. Once that one wears out I will order another 2.35 for the rear or maybe transition the front to the rear and go with something more aggressive.

Can't wait to try it out.

ben

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MostChillin View Post
    Maxxis Minion DHFs come in 2.5
    My buddy has one...and that is one BEAST of a tire!!

mtbr member
    Maxxis Minion DHFs come in 2.5
    My buddy has one...and that is one BEAST of a tire!!
    It is an awesome tire is size and grip. So much that I think I might move my DC version to the rear and get a 3C for the front of my 2016 Honzo once I get it. According to owners the 2015 Honzo the clearance is there. No need to try b+ for if my plan works out. I know it won't fit to MYs prior to 2015 because an Ardent 2.4 barely cleared and had slight rubbing on the chainstay yoke on my 2013. I think the minion, ardent and ikon all share the same casing.

mtbr member
    Any comments that you can share on how well the DHFs roll?

I've been really pleased with the Ardent/Ikon combo for my local trails as it addressed my front Ikon wanting to washout on loose over hardpack.

I went and rode more technical trails this weekend with far more elevation change and felt at times that I could use a more aggressive setup - a DHF/Ardent is what I had in mind. I felt the Ikon on the rear drifting in fast, downhill sections and certainly could have used more braking power. And I'm thinking this setup could be good for winter locally but I really like how well both the Ardent and Ikon (especially) roll thus my question.

Thanks!
    The DHF rolls well enough for a front tire. It's well worth the small penalty in rolling resistance IMO, they grip like crazy.

mtbr member
    anyone else feel like the ikon 2.35s are a little drifty?? felt good climbing..
    Last edited by F29Lefty; 09-03-2015 at 06:29 PM.
    -No Shortcuts

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The DHF rolls well enough for a front tire. It's well worth the small penalty in rolling resistance IMO, they grip like crazy.
    That tire is MASSIVE! Huge knobs and very large volume. It makes my NN/Ardent looks like a kids toy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    ... if Maxxis will ever listen a 2.35" Ignitor.
    +1 for a 2.35 Ignitor. Let's go Maxxis, make it happen.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Hey Maxxis another +1 for a 2.35 Ignitor. The Ikon does not have enough side knobs for loose gravel.

mtbr member
    I'm running a 2.35 now on the front of a 25mm internal width rim. I love the look and round profile of the tire. I tried it tubeless running about 26 pounds of pressure. I feel like I need to go lower. I'm about 200 pounds in my gear before adding the weight of my camelbak. Should I run lower pressure?

Grip was good, but I still feel it could be better. Didn't feel like the tire was flexing too much or anything like that. Actually noticed how loose my rear was (2.2 Ikon) as a result of the better performance up front. Yet, I was timid to try and push the limits of the front during my first ride on it.

ben

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HitmenOnlyInc View Post
    When I added sealant, it held fine and I thought it was just dried out Stan's. Now I'm in the same boat. To be fair the tire is not a TR tire but is is a 3C 120tpi tire. I didn't have any problem for the first month it was installed then I went on vacation and found it almost flat...
    Craig,

Both of my 2.35's do the same thing. after a year of on and off use they have lost their desire to seat on my rims. I've cleaned and scrubbed them to no avail. They seem to lose their ability to bead up for some reason, no matter how much air I throw at them. All of my other maxis tires do not have this problem even after sitting in my tire pile for a year.

I am finding the Ardent Race up front and the ikon 2.2 in the rear really hooks up like crazy at BR, but you have to run them at really low psi around 22.

mtbr member

I agree..I run dhf 2,5 3c exo front and ardent 2.4 exo rear during summer time here in Nor cal...Im happy. Rolls better than my fall/winter which is a dhr2 rear.

mtbr member
    I am really starting to dig the ardent race at 20-22 psi up front and the ikon 2.2 in the rear for riding here in the desert. The AR really hooks up up front and yet rolls at a very good pace when paired with the ikon in the rear.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Finally chucked my 2.35 Ikon up front and my Wild Race'R 2.25 out back...

Can feel the rolling resistance has decreased since taken Ardent 2.4 off of front.

The 2.25 Race'R is almost as wide as the Ikon!?

Hopefully some sun and drier trails to follow soon.

Sent from my Kin[G]_Pad

mtbr member
    Finally chucked my 2.35 Ikon up front and my Wild Race'R 2.25 out back...

Can feel the rolling resistance has decreased since taken Ardent 2.4 off of front.

The 2.25 Race'R is almost as wide as the Ikon!?

Hopefully some sun and drier trails to follow soon.

Sent from my Kin[G]_Pad
    How do u like the ikon up front? Felt sketchy to me in the corners... But pretty fast. But not as fast as the rocket Ron.
    -No Shortcuts

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by F29Lefty View Post
    How do u like the ikon up front? Felt sketchy to me in the corners... But pretty fast. But not as fast as the rocket Ron.
    Need more time on it...

Will report back soon o_0

Sent from my Kin[G]_Pad ™

mtbr member
    Not too much time yet with the Ikon 2.35 up front.... but, after a weekend of riding on a variety of trails - rooty, rocky, muddy gnar - pine needle covered flow trails through to pebble covered rail type trails - I think the Ikon will do fine up front. Tire gives ample warning when it's limits are being reached. Didn't happen often. Only when really leaning it over on turns with loose over hard.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    'Yes! I'm an opinionated Mofo... Next question'.

MTB B'dos
    This where the Minion SS comes into the game, fast centre tread like the Ikon, big outer knobs of the DHF, give it a look.
    Quote Originally Posted by F29Lefty View Post
    Not too much time yet with the Ikon 2.35 up front.... but, after a weekend of riding on a variety of trails - rooty, rocky, muddy gnar - pine needle covered flow trails through to pebble covered rail type trails - I think the Ikon will do fine up front. Tire gives ample warning when it's limits are being reached. Didn't happen often. Only when really leaning it over on turns with loose over hard..

mtbr member
    That's not meant to be a front tire is it? More suited as a rear tire like the Rock Razor, Slaughter etc.

mtbr member
    This where the Minion SS comes into the game, fast centre tread like the Ikon, big outer knobs of the DHF, give it a look.
    Looks like dhf front/ss rear would be a killer combo

MTB B'dos
    Yeah, and...? Neither is the DHR2, but lots of people run it upfront. For someone who has an Ikon 2.35" upfront for XC and wants a bit more in the side knobs dept, I think it's a perfect replacement with just that. If it comes in 2.5" on the same casing as the 2.4" Ardent, Ikon 2.35" and DHF 2.5", then I think it'll be an excellent tyre for XC to Trail riding, depending on trail conditions and makeup, especially for those on rigids who want more volume, but not a 29+ tyre.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    That's not meant to be a front tire is it? More suited as a rear tire like the Rock Razor, Slaughter etc.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't compare it to the DHR. As someone who has run a 2.35 Ikon and DHR2 upfront, and currently runs a Rock Razor out back...there's no way I'd run the Rock Razor up front on any legitimate dirt trail. Feel free to try it though and let me know how it works out for you, you never know until you try.

Is the Minion SS even available yet?

mtbr member
    I've run the RR 2.35 out front on my 650b steed, on several occasions ^^ no dramas... obviously you can't push it as hard as a Minion or High Roller, but those massive side lugz save your ass just as it tightens up and thinks 'Uh-oh, here I go!!'

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Live and ride in San Diego county. Loose over hard mostly and very dry.

Been using the Ikon 2.35 in the front for the last few months and really enjoy it. Also had an Ikon 2.2 in the back for a while and then switched to an Ardent Race 2.2. Not a big fan of the AR and feels like a liability.

Ride aggressive XC and trails.

Opinions on running Ikon 2.35 front and rear on my Giant Anthem X 29er? Want something in the back that I can lean into a little more and the taller side knobs of the 2.35 look to fit the bill?

If the Ikon 2.35 works well in the back but someone has another more aggressive tire in the front that pairs well, I'm all ears/eyes.

Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokoe View Post
    If the Ikon 2.35 works well in the back but someone has another more aggressive tire in the front that pairs well, I'm all ears/eyes.

Thanks for the help.
    Run one of the more aggressive Maxxis tires; 2.5 or 2.3 DHF, 2.3 DHRII, 2.3 HRII. It's a fast combo with a ton of grip in the front for cornering and fast drifty, low rolling resistance rear end making climbing less painful.

Even though this is a Maxxis thread look at the 2.4 Goma and 2.4 Chunky Monkey for an aggressive front tire also.

And yes all of these tires are over 900gms so disregard if you're a WW.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokoe View Post
    Live and ride in San Diego county. Loose over hard mostly and very dry.

Been using the Ikon 2.35 in the front for the last few months and really enjoy it. Also had an Ikon 2.2 in the back for a while and then switched to an Ardent Race 2.2. Not a big fan of the AR and feels like a liability.

Ride aggressive XC and trails.

Opinions on running Ikon 2.35 front and rear on my Giant Anthem X 29er? Want something in the back that I can lean into a little more and the taller side knobs of the 2.35 look to fit the bill?

Thanks for the help.
    Ikon 2.35 front and rear works great! My wife loves that combo. Racing Ralph 2.35 front and rear is an alternative and excellent combination as well if you want to push the bigger volume meat with tread that also grips for XC.

Rim width, tire pressure all contribute as well. If you like the 2.35 Ikon up front, why not give one in the rear a try as well. The larger volume 29"er tires (such as 2.3 and 2.35) offer a heck of a lot of grip in all kinds of conditions.

mtbr member
    What are you running on the front with the RR out back? Some of your early posts about the Ikon 2.35s convinced me to give them a go. Thanks Colin.
    Currently a Magic Mary.

The Ikon 2.35 front and rear is a great setup and very fast with adequate grip.

I wanted a tad more grip up front, so I went the the MM.

I will say that the Ikon behaves better in climbing and braking traction than the Rock Razor.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Thank you for the feedback everyone!

Might try picking up another Ikon 2.35 for a F & R setup (glad this is a viable option) and then something with a bit more bite like a DHF in the front to see how they contrast.

mtbr member
    OT: my DHF 2.3 should be arriving in a day or two :rubs-hands: can't wait... DHRII 2.3 out back and the DHF up front :woot:

mtbr member
    OT: my DHF 2.3 should be arriving in a day or two :rubs-hands: can't wait... DHRII 2.3 out back and the DHF up front :woot:
    Good combo..imho

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575inCA View Post
    Good combo..imho
    Thinking about keeping DHF up front for general riding (apart from race day), and using the DHR II outback for wetter months... and maybe getting a Spec GC grid 2.3 (r) for summer riding.

Ikon (f) and Race'R (r) for events.

PS - either selling or chucking the Ardent 2.4... I don't like it =(

Sent from my Kin[G]_Pad

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Loving the Ikon rear, but wearing it out and its getting loose around here. Thinking of rotating the Nobby Nic to the rear and getting the DHF 2.3 for the front. Any advice on which of the myriad of compounds to run? Maxx Terra? Dual Compound? DD?

mtbr member
    I ran a dhf 3c exo maxterra up front and loved it for all conditions.

MTB B'dos
    Not sure how the DHR2 is in the wet compared to the HR2, but had good luck with the HR2 in wet/mud. In my experience the Spesh tyres don't compare to the Maxxis when it comes to wet.

Don't checuk the Ardent if you can't give it away, it's still a nice, high volume rear for a rigid or HT .

Thinking about keeping DHF up front for general riding (apart from race day), and using the DHR II outback for wetter months... and maybe getting a Spec GC grid 2.3 (r) for summer riding.
    Ikon (f) and Race'R (r) for events.

PS - either selling or chucking the Ardent 2.4... I don't like it =(

mtbr member
    Selling DHF & DHRII... getting a Mountain King 2.4 - German made ^^

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Selling DHF & DHRII... getting a Mountain King 2.4 - German made ^^

Mountain King 2.4 is junk like all Continental tires.

Formerly of Kent
    If Maxxis made the Ikon 2.35 in the tan sidewall version like they do for the Ardent, they'd have my money in a heartbeat.
    Death from Below.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Tanwall Ardent front, and Ikon rear.
    Oh yeah

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Tanwall Ardent front, and Ikon rear.
    Oh yeah
    This is one of favorite combos, Bontrager XR4 team issue 29x2.30 front and Maxxis Icon 2.35 rear. I never like the Ardent front on rear!!

The XR4 is nice and light at 785g for big 2.30 good size knob tire. The sidewalls are also bombproof!! I get them for 55 each. Must get the team issue not the expert!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maxxis Ikon 2.35-p1070236.jpg  

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast