Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Are Maxxis Ignitors still experiencing bubble problems? What's good & light?

(I put this in the 29er component section since I'm specifically interested in 29er feedback.)

I've been doing lots of research on a new front and rear tire for my new hardtail S-Works 29er. It currently has S-Works Renegade tires, which I've never ridden before, but I have quite a few miles on my girlfriend's Specialized Ground Controls, a much toothier tire that is only been just okay in the mix of loose/muddy trails combined with fast fire roads and single track. The GC's slip too much unless its bone-dry, and mud clings to it like cake frosting on a spatula. As a reference point, on my M2 S-Works and Trek Top Fuel, I used a Panaracer Dart in the front and Smoke in the rear. It's an old-school combo, but it was light and super grippy.

I'm looking for a light tire in a 1.95-2.1 size that can handle going tubeless. Cost isn't a huge issue even though on principle I hate the idea of paying $60 for a mountain bike tire when the tires for my Miata cost the same (!). I was about to pull the trigger on the Ignitors when I saw this thread on Ignitor bubbles. It seems that some Maxxis tires had or have issues with bubbles in the tread. The post was from 2009, so I'm hoping that, four years later, Maxxis has figured out the problem and resolved it.

1) Has anyone who has bought 29er Ignitors in the last year or so had any bubble problems?

2) What is the best tire out there for the northeast riding that I do? It has to be light and fast, yet very good in muddy conditions. I'm not interested in anything over a 2.1, and I'd like to keep the weight at around 600 grams per tire but am open to heavier tires.

Thanks for any help!!
    Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 03-07-2013 at 07:39 AM.
    '12 S-Works Stumpjumper carbon HT
    '13 Specialized Carve Comp
    '94 S-Works M2

mtbr member
    I'll chime in. I've been running the standard Ignitor on the front of my EMD (Crossmark on the rear) for about a year and I haven't had even one problem. It hooks up great for the N. Georgia XC trails. I'm not completely in the know, but I haven't heard any issues of people having them bubble as you're asking about. I just run them tubeless on my Arches with Stan's sealant. Everything is fine for me and my only complaint is that it's just a tic too narrow. I'd widen it to a 2.25.
    - KERSH -

mtbr member
    Great, thanks for your comments!
    '94 S-Works M2

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore View Post
    2) What is the best tire out there for the northeast riding that I do? It has to be light and fast, yet very good in muddy conditions. I'm not interested in anything over a 2.1, and I'd like to keep the weight at around 600 grams per tire but am open to heavier tires.
    Try Geax Gato:
    products Geax.com

Sizes 1,9" and 2,1" in two versions. It is good in dry weather too.

Should be perfect for your type of riding.

Another one is this:
    Beaver

not so super...

My EXO Ignitor is still going strong after a year being used with Stan's goop.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    I used Ignitors tubeless for about 3 years, and for the most part I didn't have any issues. The last one I had was an EXO version. When there was still life left in the tire I noticed about 8-10 bubbles. Most were small, but two were larger then a quarter. I din't bother with a warranty. I trashed it, and got a new tire.

mtbr member

I've been running the 29ers on Flow rims tubeless with no problems......well mostly no problems. The tires seem to occasionally appear "wet" which I can only assume is some sealant seeping thru. Live the ignitors. Great tire for the Philly/NJ/DE area.
    Misfit diSSent 1x10
    Jet 9

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DerBergschreck View Post
    Try Geax Gato:
    products Geax.com

Sizes 1,9" and 2,1" in two versions. It is good in dry weather too.

Should be perfect for your type of riding.

Another one is this:
    Beaver
    Good alternative. Thanks for the lead!
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA View Post
    Excellent, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    I used Ignitors tubeless for about 3 years, and for the most part I didn't have any issues. The last one I had was an EXO version. When there was still life left in the tire I noticed about 8-10 bubbles. Most were small, but two were larger then a quarter. I din't bother with a warranty. I trashed it, and got a new tire.
    Good to know; thank you.

I just got off of the phone with a Maxxis rep who told me that they don't have a UST Ignitor in a 29" size, but that they do have it for 26ers. He mentioned that the ammonia in the sealant can cause issues with the rubber, so they don't condone the use of sealant. When I pressed him further if I was guaranteed to have an issue if I ran Stans in the tire, he couldn't answer the question but said that many riders have used sealant in non-UST tires without issue.

Food for thought.
    '94 S-Works M2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pascale27 View Post
    I've been running the 29ers on Flow rims tubeless with no problems......well mostly no problems. The tires seem to occasionally appear "wet" which I can only assume is some sealant seeping thru. Live the ignitors. Great tire for the Philly/NJ/DE area.
    Interesting. How long have you been using them?
    '94 S-Works M2

mtbr member

About 1.5 years. It's not really an issue, I don't have to reseal them more often then the UST tires on my 26 FS bike. It's more if a cosmetic thing. I have no problems with them holding air or sealing a puncture while riding.
    Misfit diSSent 1x10
    Jet 9

mtbr member
    Thanks for the clarification, pascale. Going to go to the LBS next week to pick up a set.
    '94 S-Works M2

mtbr member
    Same here. I've been running my Ignitors for about a year now tubeless, with Stan's (who claim there is no ammonia in their recipe) and no issues. The tires do weep a bit, but hold air and haven't blistered. I just replaced my front one with a Specialized Ground Control for a bit more volume after ripping the sidewall (of the Ignotor... and it held air while I finished my ride).

So, holds air. No blisters. Weeps. I used them for about 3 years before going tubeless and really like the tire.
    Last edited by skiahh; 03-09-2013 at 12:53 PM.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    May 2006

I'm running them on my tallboy. Over the last year I've replaced one and will likely replace the other this spring due to wear and bubbles. I use Stan's and ride a lot. The temperature is pretty warm here in the summer if that makes any difference. They seem to be perfect tires for my riding style and terrain so I guess replacing every year is the price of admission.
    My local shop has seen a lot of bubbles in igniters and Kenda nevegals.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Quote Originally Posted by pascale27 View Post
    To add to my post, my igniters occasionally appear wet as well which is sealant weeping through in spots.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Never Forget 9-11
    Ignitors on the front of my 29 and 26 with no problems after purchasing about 6 months ago. Very pleased with the weight and performance of both sizes.
    It's such a fine line between idiocy and genius.

clk
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    My dad and I have about 6 months on a set with stans on arch rims with no problems. I did weigh both sets and they averaged around 680g.

mtbr member
    Double post, sorry.
    Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 03-09-2013 at 08:00 AM.
    '94 S-Works M2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Same here. I've been running my Ignitors for about a year now tubeless, with Stan's (who claim there is no ammonia in their recipe) and no issues. The tires do weep a bit, but hold air and haven't blistered. I just replaced my front one with a Specialized Ground Control for a bit more volume after ripping the sidewall... and it held air while I finished my ride.

So, holds air. No blisters. Weeps. I used them for about 3 years before going tubeless and really like the tire.
    Didn't know that about the Stans. Actually, I know very little about them since I've always run tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by bikeriderguy View Post
    I'm running them on my tallboy. Over the last year I've replaced one and will likely replace the other this spring due to wear and bubbles. I use Stan's and ride a lot. The temperature is pretty warm here in the summer if that makes any difference. They seem to be perfect tires for my riding style and terrain so I guess replacing every year is the price of admission.
    My local shop has seen a lot of bubbles in igniters and Kenda nevegals.
    More conflicting info. Thanks for the data point!

Quote Originally Posted by vqcnasvj View Post
    Okay, thanks! The Exo is the lightweight version, right? How fragile is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by FujNoob View Post
    Ignitors on the front of my 29 and 26 with no problems after purchasing about 6 months ago. Very pleased with the weight and performance of both sizes.
    Cool, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by clk View Post
    My dad and I have about 6 months on a set with stans on arch rims with no problems. I did weigh both sets and they averaged around 680g.
    Is this a 26x2.35? Maxxis has listed the 29x2.1 Ignitors at 595 grams. I think there's a thread where someone said they had weighed a few of their Ignitors and all of them were about 600 grams. I've read so many tire threads in the archives that my head is spinning.
    '94 S-Works M2

not so super...

EXO is the sidewall protection.

EXC is the lightweight version.
    Nothing to see here.

I'm with stupid
    My ignitots work just fine tubeless. I ended up taking them off one bike and putting a beefier tire on. I still run them on the rear of another bike for almost 2 years and have not had a issue. Not much tread left but no bubbles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    My ignitots work just fine tubeless. I ended up taking them off one bike and putting a beefier tire on. I still run them on the rear of another bike for almost 2 years and have not had a issue. Not much tread left but no bubbles.
    Thanks! Lots of widely varying experiences. What tire pressures do you normally run?

For the rest of the folks who responded, regardless if you have or have not had bubbling issues, can you let us know what tire pressures you use?

I wonder if higher pressures cause more bubbling? On the face of it, that hypothesis would make sense, but maybe low pressures are causing rubber delamination. Way too many variables to truly know, but there might be a trend if we can get more data from users.
    '94 S-Works M2

mtbr member

27 psi, I'm at 200lbs. My bike is a HT.
    Misfit diSSent 1x10
    Jet 9

mtbr member
    32 rear, 30 front. I'm a clyde and this is on the 429. Any less and the tires get squirmy.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Happy Trails

4 months tubeless on mine with no problem. I like them. They work well in dry Arizona.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast