mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Maxxis CrossMark (not UST) - can I run it tubless

Can I simply put Stan's sealant in a new Maxxis CrossMark and use it tubless on my ZTR rim? This is not the UST model of the CrossMark. The bike store said yes, but admitted they didn't really know - it was all they had.

I race XC and that is all the riding I do. Can't afford going flat. Any help or ideas appreciated. thx

mtbr member
    May 2006
    yes
    Canuck in the homeland

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Most brands of tires will work as tubeless. However, they might not hold air as well as tubeless ready or they might not be as durable. A few brands are known to be not really tubeless compatible, hutchinson is one of those brands.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    The 2.1" Crossmark (non-UST) was the only tire that I have not been able to get seated on a Flow rim. Way too loose. Hopefully, you won't have the same experience.

conjoinicorned
    I've sealed it on a flow and an arch without too much hassle and no issues while riding.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    The 2.1" Crossmark (non-UST) was the only tire that I have not been able to get seated on a Flow rim. Way too loose. Hopefully, you won't have the same experience.
    I do have to use a compressor when seating them on my Flow rim, but once they are on, they work great with Stan's sealant. I have been using one as a rear tire for a few years now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    yes

MTB B'dos
    Yes, it will work, but be for warned, if it is the normal, very lightweight version (non LUST) you risk slashed sidewalls if you ride anywhere with sharp rocks as they are designed to be run with tubes. You will also see a lot of weeping of the sidewalls and they'll take more sealant than a tyre with thicker sidewall - you can add some glitter to the sealant mix to help seal any bigger holes. As to using them, did it, but as said only lasted like a couple rides before I slashed the sidewall, but no issue with them not staying on my Flows. I have the LUST version now and completely different tyre, don't even need sealant if you don't have thorns etc the sidewalls are so beefy (the tyre actually stands up by itself unmounted) weighs a smidge over 800g compared to the avg weight of 600g for the normal version.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I ran them on my arch ex no problems whatsoever. Super easy to setup tubeless with Stan's.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Yes, it will work, but be for warned, if it is the normal, very lightweight version (non LUST) you risk slashed sidewalls if you ride anywhere with sharp rocks as they are designed to be run with tubes. You will also see a lot of weeping of the sidewalls and they'll take more sealant than a tyre with thicker sidewall - you can add some glitter to the sealant mix to help seal any bigger holes. As to using them, did it, but as said only lasted like a couple rides before I slashed the sidewall, but no issue with them not staying on my Flows. I have the LUST version now and completely different tyre, don't even need sealant if you don't have thorns etc the sidewalls are so beefy (the tyre actually stands up by itself unmounted) weighs a smidge over 800g compared to the avg weight of 600g for the normal version.
    This is the exact opposite of my experience with 60 TPI foldable crossmarks (600g version).

They hold air great, and have had no torn sidewalls on very rocky terrain, and are my tire of choice for rocky trails.

I've run one for over 2000km, and it still has some life in it.

banned

yes

Ran Crossmark front and rear last year tubeless without any issues once sealed up. Didnt trust it on the front though. Will through one on the rear again this summer. This was on a Stans 355 rim.

MTB B'dos
    Curious, rocky, smooth rocks or rocky sharp a$$, jagged rocks? My rocks are coral and have some nasty sharp edges, slash the tyre going down through a little stream crossing, tight with rocks, 2nd or 3rd ride trying them tubeless. Now the lightweight Ignitors on the other hands never had a problem run tubeless, actually thinking about picking up at least another in the EXO sidewall.

Quote Originally Posted by Goran_injo View Post
    This is the exact opposite of my experience with 60 TPI foldable crossmarks (600g version).

They hold air great, and have had no torn sidewalls on very rocky terrain, and are my tire of choice for rocky trails.

I've run one for over 2000km, and it still has some life in it.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics