Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 201
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    163

    Maxxis Ardent race

    Holy blithering heck!

    I'm a bit of a tyre junkie and I hadn't found much 29er stuff that floated my boat. Least favourite of all was the original ardent, it rolled well for its size but that was all it seemed good at.

    When pics came out of the ardent race I figured that looked pretty cool, probably to replace when I would use a crossmark. At least the side knobs line up.

    Getting the tyre in the flesh, it is totally redesigned and bears very little resemblance to the original Ardent. Smaller knobs, more closed tread, more solid corner knobs. Casing was 54mm wide, knobs were probably 56mm wide, so 2.2" is an accurate size!

    I couldn't get the exo version, so I got the ordinary one and mounted it on the front (Norco Shinobi, running a Pike). The sidewall felt pretty reasonable, even in the ordinary version, but I destroy sidewalls on the rear so its ust or exo only. I wasnt sure if it would stay there so I just mounted it with a tube for simplicity. I paired it with a 2.25 racing ralph on the rear as I had the snakeskin version of it and it was the exact same width across the casing.

    First ride -

    I came off high rollers so I knew it was going to feel fast. What I didn't expect was that the level of grip was going to be so high.
    Honestly on hard pack, rock, roots, light dust covered trails it was amazing. Deep loose stuff, not so much. It didnt have the open space or knob height to deal with it. I'm guessing come winter time it will pack up easily.

    By FAR the best tyre I've used for trail riding. If first impressions are correct, this tyre is a game changer the way that the Minion changed DH when it came out. I firmly believe that. It will stay on my bike till I need a winter tyre.

    I will weigh it, tubeless it and go again. I will also start hassling for an exo version for the rear (showed up the racing ralph as the weird, skittery, squirm and skip at the same time thing that schwalbe xc tyres can be) and some 26" versions for my sons bike.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: alexcited's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    37

    Maxxis Ardent race

    I'm in the market for new tires myself. I'll have to check these out!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

  3. #3
    West Chester, PA
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,873
    Looking forward to the weight. This tire was introduced over a year ago and maxxis still doesn't have any specs on their site. Way to go maxxis.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    163
    Ardent race 3c tr 2.2 x 29 = 687gm

    Thought I'd grab some other weights, to at least give some relevance to my numbers. All weights on the same scale.

    Racing Ralph pace star snakeskin 2.25 x 29 = 710gm
    Ikon exception 2.2 x 29 = 570gm
    Ardent exo 2.4 x 29 = 842gm
    Conti x-king 2.2 x 29 = 770gm
    Conti mountain king 2.4 x 29 = 783gm

    To my mind, the ardent race is about the minimum reliable trail riding weight. I assume the exo version will weigh low 700's.
    I'm not certain that "race" should be in the name, unless you are talking enduro. Certainly far too porky for the traditional xc crowd.

  5. #5
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    20,539
    I want to see pics. Agree 100% with you on the original 2.25" Ardent, sucked big time as a front tyre for me, can't say I like the 2.4" version much better, but the bigger/taller knobs help. Have the new 2.25" Ardent in 650B and it looks almost the same as the 2.4", but haven't seen the race version of this tyre.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JoshM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    516
    This thread needs pics big time. Wonder how it would do as a rear?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    163
    A Google image search produced better photos than I can.
    I'm sure it will be excellent as a rear, just like the original ardent only more predictable when leaned over. The lower knob height may have a slight positive impact on rolling resistance, the 3c (maxxspeed) compound is pretty good, I'd imagine it will sit between the crossmark and ikon for rolling resistance.
    The center line is solid enough that most people should even get reasonable mileage, even those who have to ride roads to get to the trails.
    I have friends who are blessed with the problem of wheelspin when they climb on a crossmark, when I get a rear I will make sure they have a go. Either my puny chicken legs don't develop the same power or I am amazingly skilled after all these years riding :-)

    The schwalbe tyres will always feel more lively, I'm still fairly certain they are the king of low rolling resistance, but finding the gems in their range can be a frustrating and expensive exercise.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elsinore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    457

    Maxxis Ardent race

    Is this tire available yet? I can't seem to find it anywhere .

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    967
    This tire is definitely awesome. It's the hot shit tire for trail riding. I think if you are doing light singletrack riding, the IKON would be the way to go, but as the OP said, for "trail" riding this thing is the best rear tire I've tried.

    Ardent 2.4 front, Ardent Race rear. Done and done.

    -Tom

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    163
    What? Light singletrack riding?

    I used my Ardent race for black diamond enderpo riding on the weekend. Still impressed.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    967
    Maybe you misread. Light single track = IKON.

  12. #12
    West Chester, PA
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,873
    Are you guys testers for maxxis ? Nobody has this tire listed.

    Hope the exo version is in the low 700s.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    967
    Mine are prototypes. I was pretty excited when I heard that they were going to make them.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    163
    I'm not involved in any way, I just bought them from an online shop.
    Maxxis Ardent Race 29x2.20 3C EXO TR Folding MTB Tyre
    I have no idea how they appear to be available in Australia before the US. That never happens.

    Quote Originally Posted by trhoppe View Post
    Maybe you misread. Light single track = IKON.
    I didn't misread, I just have no idea what this is.
    I started and there was mountain biking, then xc or dh, then all mountain, now there are more sub categories than headset standards.
    Race tyres are just that, for everything else you need a pattern that suits your terrain, and a compromise of weight, strength, rolling speed, grip and wear that you can live with.

    The ikon weighs sub 600gm, the sidewall is noticeably lighter. It isn't a tyre I can ride reliably, the terrain I ride has too many sharp rocks.
    I think most riders can work that out for themselves, some tyres may be tough for their weight, but maxxis is pretty consistent. Close to 500gm is light but weak, 700-850 is their middle ground, 1kg or more is shuttle only dh tyres.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    967
    I wasn't trying to describe a discipline, but more describe the type of trail and/or terrain.

    You said your terrain has too many sharp rocks. I wouldn't describe that as "light singletrack". Your terrain is exactly the type of terrain that I would ride an Ardent on. Except my choice would be Ardent 2.4 regular on the front and the Ardent Race on the back. I just love the grip of the 2.4 and will give up a little bit of the rolling resistance for that grip.

    "Light singletrack" IMO is that sort of ribbon of packed dirt and some rocks/roots as well, but not anything that is rocky enough to tear up sidewalls. As just like you, my experience with the IKON is that it's a great tire pattern but because the tire is optimized for light weight, the sidewalls, even the EXO version don't stand up to rocks.

    I do endurance MTB racing, so 6 hour singletrack as well as 100 mile mixed terrain races. The IKON is just not worth it as one flat will set you back more than running a burlier tire. If I was doing 20 mile XC races on "light singletrack" I would choose the IKON as my weapon

    My fun trail bike (Trek Remedy) has Ardent 2.4 26" front and rear as it goes anywhere and grip > rolling resistance.
    My MTB endurance race bike (29er) has Ardent 2.4 front and Ardent Race rear
    My bikepacking/exploring bike (29er) that I don't take on super rocky stuff is Ardent 2.25 front and IKON rear. That bike sees that light singletrack type of terrain as well as gravel/pavement.

    -Tom
    Maxxis fanboi

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    792
    Interesting, looks like it'll be a good tire to pick up.

    Sidenote, but why doesn't Maxxis have more Exo tires? Being that i run mine tubeless i won't buy anything without a burly sidewall. I've been consistently disappointed to find my favorite tires unavailable with Exo in several sizes.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thuren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    789
    Quote Originally Posted by weedkilla1 View Post
    The ikon weighs sub 600gm, the sidewall is noticeably lighter. It isn't a tyre I can ride reliably, the terrain I ride has too many sharp rocks.
    My Ikon 2.35 EXO's are 705g
    Bend, Oregon

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    792
    Quote Originally Posted by thuren View Post
    My Ikon 2.35 EXO's are 705g
    They were probably talking about the 2.2. I didn't realize they made a 2.35 Ikon Exo though, good to know. How's the *actual* width? My 2.2's are more like a 2.0-2.1.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thuren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    789
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    They were probably talking about the 2.2. I didn't realize they made a 2.35 Ikon Exo though, good to know. How's the *actual* width? My 2.2's are more like a 2.0-2.1.
    At about 35psi, 2.30" casing, 2.36" knob-to-knob. This is on 24mm ID rims.

    Sweet freaking tires. Very flat profile so the side knobs engage quick.
    Bend, Oregon

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thuren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    789
    I'd be curious to know some actual casing height and width numbers. If big enough, I'd love to try the Ardent Race.
    Bend, Oregon

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    163
    54mm casing width, 56mm tread. On a 23mm id rim.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thuren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    789
    Quote Originally Posted by weedkilla1 View Post
    54mm casing width, 56mm tread. On a 23mm id rim.
    Bummer...... If they made that tire in a 59mm or so casing width, with a tallish sidewall, I'd be all over it. Liking the higher volume tires for expensive carbon rim protection.
    Bend, Oregon

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    719
    Quote Originally Posted by weedkilla1 View Post
    Holy blithering heck!

    I'm a bit of a tyre junkie and I hadn't found much 29er stuff that floated my boat. Least favourite of all was the original ardent, it rolled well for its size but that was all it seemed good at.

    When pics came out of the ardent race I figured that looked pretty cool, probably to replace when I would use a crossmark. At least the side knobs line up.

    Getting the tyre in the flesh, it is totally redesigned and bears very little resemblance to the original Ardent. Smaller knobs, more closed tread, more solid corner knobs. Casing was 54mm wide, knobs were probably 56mm wide, so 2.2" is an accurate size!

    I couldn't get the exo version, so I got the ordinary one and mounted it on the front (Norco Shinobi, running a Pike). The sidewall felt pretty reasonable, even in the ordinary version, but I destroy sidewalls on the rear so its ust or exo only. I wasnt sure if it would stay there so I just mounted it with a tube for simplicity. I paired it with a 2.25 racing ralph on the rear as I had the snakeskin version of it and it was the exact same width across the casing.

    First ride -

    I came off high rollers so I knew it was going to feel fast. What I didn't expect was that the level of grip was going to be so high.
    Honestly on hard pack, rock, roots, light dust covered trails it was amazing. Deep loose stuff, not so much. It didnt have the open space or knob height to deal with it. I'm guessing come winter time it will pack up easily.

    By FAR the best tyre I've used for trail riding. If first impressions are correct, this tyre is a game changer the way that the Minion changed DH when it came out. I firmly believe that. It will stay on my bike till I need a winter tyre.

    I will weigh it, tubeless it and go again. I will also start hassling for an exo version for the rear (showed up the racing ralph as the weird, skittery, squirm and skip at the same time thing that schwalbe xc tyres can be) and some 26" versions for my sons bike.
    I've been riding a prototype version of this tire that I was fortunate enough to get my hands on early in the riding season. I am not a racer (couldn't be much further from it), and I ride on rough and rocky east coast trails. In the past the Exo Ikon was my favorite rear tire because it rolled fast, gripped well enough for my riding style and held up reasonably well (I could get 2-3 months on it generally, although a friend trashed his in one ride - I guess I have a little finesse...). However, the Ardent TR Race that I have is IMO the perfect tire for a rider like me. It has been substantially more durable - at 6-7 months of use the sidewalls show minimal scuffing and only a few surface cuts. The tire rolls well, and while I am sure it is heavier than the Ikon (sorry - I didn't weight it before I mounted it), the extra weight is more than welcome for the durability it provides. The most noticeable thing at this point is that the side knobs are certainly looking pretty chewed up. Not to the point where I won't use the tire, but you can definitely see the tire is well used.

    For my $$ I'd buy this tire again in a heartbeat. I can only hope that Maxxis hasn't made any substantial changes from the version that I am running. I'm sure there are folks out there that would prefer it to be lighter but as far as I'm concerned that is what the Ikon is for. I can't wait for the Ardent TR Race to hit the market.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: antonio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,978
    Favorite rear tire, or front and back?

    Thanks!

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    719
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio View Post
    Favorite rear tire, or front and back?

    Thanks!
    It's my favorite rear tire. I've been running a 2.35 Nobby Nic up front and am happy enough with it to keep using it. The Ardent Race TR is the one I rave about though.

  26. #26
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    20,539
    You should really do yourself a favour and put a HR2 on the front and learn what real confidence and grip is like
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnerConvert View Post
    It's my favorite rear tire. I've been running a 2.35 Nobby Nic up front and am happy enough with it to keep using it. The Ardent Race TR is the one I rave about though.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    719
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    You should really do yourself a favour and put a HR2 on the front and learn what real confidence and grip is like
    I have no doubt that the HR2 is impressive as far as grip goes, but it is way more tire than I want to push, and is really overkill for my riding (at least my riding style). I had a Hans Dampf up front (tried both PaceStar and TrailStar compounds), and the extra effort to pedal these on anything flat to uphill was very noticeable for me. Maybe if I can get back to riding >2 times per week, I'd be happier to accept the extra rolling resistance that comes with the improved grip that the HR2 offers. For now the Nobby Nic isn't perfect, but it is a reasonable compromise.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,154
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnerConvert View Post
    I have no doubt that the HR2 is impressive as far as grip goes, but it is way more tire than I want to push, and is really overkill for my riding (at least my riding style). I had a Hans Dampf up front (tried both PaceStar and TrailStar compounds), and the extra effort to pedal these on anything flat to uphill was very noticeable for me. Maybe if I can get back to riding >2 times per week, I'd be happier to accept the extra rolling resistance that comes with the improved grip that the HR2 offers. For now the Nobby Nic isn't perfect, but it is a reasonable compromise.
    funny I experimented with hans dampf and nobby nic in front. The hans dampf is rock solid, but I shaved a ton of weight going to the nobby nic and I could definitely feel it. The nobby nic isnt as sure footed, but is still "just right".

    Right now Im trying to work my skills up so I can ride an ikon in the rear. It is so fast.. Im riding a specialized ground control which is faster than a 2.25 ardent but has a touch less grip. When I tried the ikon I was failing to make lots of technical stuff. Eventually my skills will reach the point where it will be ok.

    A friend of mine rides 590g bontrager tires (look similar to SB 8's) on the same terrain and clears everything because he is a much better rider. If I tried to do that I would be walking everything.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    208

    Re: Maxxis Ardent race

    Quote Originally Posted by TurnerConvert View Post
    I've been riding a prototype version of this tire that I was fortunate enough to get my hands on early in the riding season. I am not a racer (couldn't be much further from it), and I ride on rough and rocky east coast trails. In the past the Exo Ikon was my favorite rear tire because it rolled fast, gripped well enough for my riding style and held up reasonably well (I could get 2-3 months on it generally, although a friend trashed his in one ride - I guess I have a little finesse...). However, the Ardent TR Race that I have is IMO the perfect tire for a rider like me. It has been substantially more durable - at 6-7 months of use the sidewalls show minimal scuffing and only a few surface cuts. The tire rolls well, and while I am sure it is heavier than the Ikon (sorry - I didn't weight it before I mounted it), the extra weight is more than welcome for the durability it provides. The most noticeable thing at this point is that the side knobs are certainly looking pretty chewed up. Not to the point where I won't use the tire, but you can definitely see the tire is well used.

    For my $$ I'd buy this tire again in a heartbeat. I can only hope that Maxxis hasn't made any substantial changes from the version that I am running. I'm sure there are folks out there that would prefer it to be lighter but as far as I'm concerned that is what the Ikon is for. I can't wait for the Ardent TR Race to hit the market.
    I run the 2.2 Ikon Exo on the rear of my ht and generally like it, especially given the weight. My two minor complaints are volume and climbing grip in loose conditions. How does the Ardent race compare to the Ikon 2.2 in these areas? I'd be willing to give up some weight for a little more cush. Was considering going to an Ikon 2.35 on the rear like I run on the front.

    Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    719
    Quote Originally Posted by TedS123 View Post
    I run the 2.2 Ikon Exo on the rear of my ht and generally like it, especially given the weight. My two minor complaints are volume and climbing grip in loose conditions. How does the Ardent race compare to the Ikon 2.2 in these areas? I'd be willing to give up some weight for a little more cush. Was considering going to an Ikon 2.35 on the rear like I run on the front.
    I'll check the width tomorrow - however, it isn't an incredibly high-volume tire and I would ballpark it as being similar to the 2.2 ikon. Also, the tread on the Ardent Race is a lower tread height than the original Ardent; I think it's a little taller than the Ikon but not significantly. The place for me where the Ardent shines is the combination of durability and lowish rolling resistance. It seems like most tires that roll well have flimsy sidewalls that I wreck in a handful of rides and most tires that are built to be durable roll like tanks. The Ardent Race (prototype in my case) is the rare combination of these two. As I said before I just hope they haven't changed it much from the prototype I have going into production - otherwise I personally don't think there would be much to differentiate this from the Ikon.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BacDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    612
    Quote Originally Posted by weedkilla1 View Post
    Ardent race 3c tr 2.2 x 29 = 687gm

    Thought I'd grab some other weights, to at least give some relevance to my numbers. All weights on the same scale.

    Racing Ralph pace star snakeskin 2.25 x 29 = 710gm
    Ikon exception 2.2 x 29 = 570gm
    Ardent exo 2.4 x 29 = 842gm
    Conti x-king 2.2 x 29 = 770gm
    Conti mountain king 2.4 x 29 = 783gm

    To my mind, the ardent race is about the minimum reliable trail riding weight. I assume the exo version will weigh low 700's.
    I'm not certain that "race" should be in the name, unless you are talking enduro. Certainly far too porky for the traditional xc crowd.
    Interesting to see real world weights. Most retailers list the 29 2.25 RR snake skin as 605g.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    886
    I haven't seen the Ardent race yet but sounds promising. There was a lot of discussion a few months ago on the Ikon 2.35. I just put one on and its def. different tire than the Ikon 2.2. Much taller side knobs, and a lot of volume. Looks to be a great rear tire paired with the new Ardent up front.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 8iking VIIking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,252

    Re: Maxxis Ardent race

    Anybody have any idea when these are coming out in the US??

  34. #34
    Now broadcasting from CO
    Reputation: PAmtbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,224
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    Anybody have any idea when these are coming out in the US??
    Followed, because I want to know as well. Looks like my ideal race tire.
    Brought to you by rocks.

  35. #35
    Cars Are Evil
    Reputation: Vermont29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,121
    I've been really happy with a "micro knob" type tire in the back for endurance events. Conti Race King rolls real nice and grips great though I put a hole in the sidewall that spwed sealant so I switched back to a tube.

    I'm mainly rolling on a pair of Hans Dampfs in TrailStar compound these days. They roll just fine compared to my Big Dummy with a toddler on the back :-)

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    108
    Anyone find the Ardent Race in 29 in the US?

  37. #37
    West Chester, PA
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,873
    Quote Originally Posted by White Bear View Post
    Anyone find the Ardent Race in 29 in the US?
    BTI and QBP still don't have any eta on them.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1
    With ardent's being a popular front, would ardent race's make a good XC front (XC trails with the occasional race)? I've noticed lots of talk about using it as a rear...

    Thinking about Ardent race at the front and Ignitors at the rear (or would crossmark/ikon make a better alternative)?

    edit: looks like ikon might be on the rear instead of ignitors for 27.5" (ignitors not in 27.5")....hmm or crossmarks?
    Last edited by evilsync; 12-10-2013 at 07:56 PM.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 8iking VIIking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,252

    Re: Maxxis Ardent race

    From what I've read it sounds like it would be an awesome front tire for xc applications. Or as a rear for a trail bike with a beefier tire up front. Would love to try one but would rather not order one from overseas...

  40. #40
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    20,539
    If you're looking for tyres for real XC, then I'd say Crossmark R/Ikon F. Crossmarks will still give you an amazing amount of traction and grip out back and the Ikon will match the sort of grip fr cornering as compared to the Crossmark on the rear, IMHO.

    Quote Originally Posted by evilsync View Post
    With ardent's being a popular front, would ardent race's make a good XC front (XC trails with the occasional race)? I've noticed lots of talk about using it as a rear...

    Thinking about Ardent race at the front and Ignitors at the rear (or would crossmark/ikon make a better alternative)?

    edit: looks like ikon might be on the rear instead of ignitors for 27.5" (ignitors not in 27.5")....hmm or crossmarks?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 8iking VIIking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,252

    Re: Maxxis Ardent race

    Ikon 2.35 front/ikon 2.2 rear is a good combo. I suppose ikon 2.35 front/ cross mark rear would work well also. I wouldn't recommend the ikon 2.2 out front though....its just not grippy enough IMO

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bholwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,247
    Quote Originally Posted by White Bear View Post
    Anyone find the Ardent Race in 29 in the US?
    Just call up Maxxis USA; they should be able to give you an ETA. Maxxis International Locations & Contact Information

    Quote Originally Posted by evilsync View Post
    With ardent's being a popular front, would ardent race's make a good XC front (XC trails with the occasional race)? I've noticed lots of talk about using it as a rear...

    Thinking about Ardent race at the front and Ignitors at the rear (or would crossmark/ikon make a better alternative)?

    edit: looks like ikon might be on the rear instead of ignitors for 27.5" (ignitors not in 27.5")....hmm or crossmarks?
    Every year I would order some special one-off's for my sponsored riders, and one tire would always be the Ardent 2.25 with a 120 tpi casing; essentially a lightweight version of the Ardent for XC for the front, where sidewall protection is not usually needed. I thought it would be better to make an XC race-specific version of the Ardent for the public, though; hence the Ardent Race was developed. So it was really designed as a front tire XC race tread, though the Exo version should make a great rear trail tire.

    I would pair it with an Ikon on the rear. Although if your trail conditions are really loose, you could go with the Ignitor. Or if you ride a lot of pavement to the trail head, go with the CrossMark.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

  43. #43
    GMM
    GMM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    946
    I just received mine yesterday. I'm in California and ordered internationally from Pushys online. Simple push of the button and it arrived in 2 weeks.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by GMM View Post
    I just received mine yesterday. I'm in California and ordered internationally from Pushys online. Simple push of the button and it arrived in 2 weeks.
    Awesome, what do you think of them now that you see them in the flesh? Ride report to follow?

  45. #45
    GMM
    GMM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    946
    Maxxis Ardent race-maxxis-ardent-race-exo-tr-mounted.jpg

    Just mounted it up last night. It's a good looking tire for sure. 747 grams in EXO/TR version. I like the look of the tread pattern . I am looking for a faster rolling tire with some reasonable grip, and I hope these are the ticket. Will trade off some weight for durability/cornering so long as there is good rolling resistance.

    I will report back after my first ride.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 8iking VIIking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,252

    Re: Maxxis Ardent race

    Quote Originally Posted by GMM View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maxxis Ardent Race EXO TR - Mounted.jpg 
Views:	15105 
Size:	168.6 KB 
ID:	854631

    Just mounted it up last night. It's a good looking tire for sure. 747 grams in EXO/TR version. I like the look of the tread pattern . I am looking for a faster rolling tire with some reasonable grip, and I hope these are the ticket. Will trade off some weight for durability/cornering so long as there is good rolling resistance.

    I will report back after my first ride.
    Awesome, looking forward to it!

  47. #47
    GMM
    GMM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    946
    Despite being under the weather (not ideal testing conditions), I headed out to the trails today for my first ride on my Ardent Race EXO/TR. I paired the Race on the rear with the regular Ardent (2.25) Exo/TR on the front. These tires replaced 2.3 High Rollers, which are admittedly in a different category. The HR's are 900+ gram terrain eating beasts. If I get the courage to try an Enduro race, I'd throw those back on.

    Now on to the Ardent Race. Before reaching the trailhead I had to pedal about a mile on paved road. There is a cork screw turn on the road which starts the climbing. I stood up to test the acceleration and was very pleased with how the bike jumped forward. Obviously, night and day different than than the HR's-- no surprise there.

    On the trail, the Ardents scooted along nicely on the fire road climb. (climbed about 1,500 in 5 miles). Now onto the descent: The tires picked-up speed very nicely and cornered very confidently through some fast single track. No problem through the fast rolling hills type rockier sections either. On one steep rock garden descent, the rear tire did break loose. In fairness, the section is a handful for most tires, and I would have been surprised if there was no slippage. I approached the section slowly and didn't really decelerate suddenly. So I think the slippage was a function of the tire more than technique. In this particular section, I am ok with some rear wheel slippage. Fortunately, the front wheel was well controlled.

    At the end of the descent, there is a long fire road climb back to the car. It was nice to have tires with good rolling resistance and reasonable weight. On several sections of the climb, there was some loose gravel, not particularly thick but certainly noticeable. On those sections, I tried to stand and climb to test traction, and here's where the shorter knobs of the Ardent Race were a real weakness. I thought traction in those conditions was weak. Of course, it's best to avoid standing on gravel covered climbs, but there are times when I do it, and there are better tires for this. Here's where I should note that I run tire pressure higher than many on these boards. I like to keep the rear around 30 psi, whereas I see many on these boards in the low 20's. With low profile center knobs, I may drop to 27 lbs and have another go. My experience running lower than that on any tire hasn't been positive.

    Since I've only had my new 29er for a short time, I don't have a bunch of 29er tire experience. So can't offer many comparisons. I definitely prefer the Ardent Race to the HR's, but am not sure it's so much faster than the regular Ardent (which I rode on several demos) to warrant the trade-off in loose climbing. I'm assuming the gravel spin out issue would also manifest itself in loose shale type conditions which I find riding the high mountains in the summer. For my local San Francisco Bay Area riding, I think the Ardent Race will be a fine tire, but I'm not ready to crown it my favorite tire yet. But I'll definitely need to adjust tire pressure before making any final decisions.

  48. #48
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    20,539
    GMM, never have been a fan of the Ardent, just don't like the lack of intermediate knobs, the only place I'll run one now is on the rear. Saying that, I like to run the HR2 upfront with something faster outback and the Ardent works a lot of the time if you don't have mud, and/or if you don't mind having to work very hard if you do for traction and control. The tyre I wish Maxxis would make a wider version of in 29", for some reason they seem dead set against - would love a 2.35" Ignitor. On my rigid I now run 2.4" Ardent rear/2.4" Chunky Monkey front and it works very well.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by GMM View Post
    But I'll definitely need to adjust tire pressure before making any final decisions.
    Thanks for the review! good job even under the weather!
    You didn't mention whether you're tubeless or tube, and your weight but I'm guessing tube. I'm running a wider rim ~ 27mm internal and find that tire traction is more dependent on inflation than tread pattern, at least for climbing rock and loose. It's about the size of the contact patch, imho, and with NN and others I typically run 20-22 psi tubeless (weigh 185 loaded). When I run 30 psi for the first few miles after putting on a new tire, it's unrecognizable...totally a pos traction wise. After lowering the pressure, the tire dynamics change dramatically. If running tubes then I understand why the higher pressures. It's no fun having snakebites.
    I know you know all this, but just wanted to reiterate the point about how critical tire pressure is to tire function for others.

  50. #50
    GMM
    GMM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    946
    White Bear, I'm actually running tubeless with WTB I23 rims. I also weigh close to 185 lbs, loaded with camelback. I know I have probably been too conservative with tire pressure-- mostly to avoid burping as I've had some bad experiences. Burped twice in a race last year with 26 psi, but I'll admit it was a very rocky course. I should go back out at 27 psi and see how that changes the Ardent Race's performance, which wasn't bad at 30 psi, but probably not ideal. If I need to run in the low 20's, then it probably isn't the tire for me.

    LyNx, I love the grip of the HR2 upfront, and thought of pairing it with a faster tire in the rear, but I may want to enter another race or two again this year with lots of climbing. While that's uncertain, I'd like to find a tire combo that won't punish me on the climbs in case I do race. There is some intermediate drift with Ardents, but I doesn't bother me too much. If tires won't so damn expensive these days, I'd be experimenting more.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Maxxis Ardent 29 x 2.4, will it fit?
    By cableguy77 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-23-2016, 07:20 PM
  2. maxxis Ardent ?
    By hitechredneck in forum 29er Components
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-10-2012, 12:38 PM
  3. Maxxis Ardent 2.4
    By azlakerfan12 in forum Specialized
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-13-2012, 05:22 PM
  4. Maxxis Ardent 2.25?
    By bassn in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-03-2012, 12:32 PM
  5. Maxxis Ardent 29 UST
    By Danny P in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-28-2011, 09:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •