Thread: Maxxis Ardent

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Maxxis Ardent

Trying to decide on which ardents to get exo,lust, or ust
    I have a 13' stumpy with the stock roval wheels that are setup for tubeless and will be running Stan's. I will be riding in central florida. I was looking on amazon for them and they have like 7 versions.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Gjb89 View Post
    Trying to decide on which ardents to get exo,lust, or ust
    I have a 13' stumpy with the stock roval wheels that are setup for tubeless and will be running Stan's. I will be riding in central florida. I was looking on amazon for them and they have like 7 versions.
    Yes, there are a few options for the Maxxis Ardent in 29"er size. Here's the list directly from the Maxxis website...

Ardent29

Just to clarify one thing: the LUST version is their UST (can be run without sealant as long as you have sealed the area around your valve, and with the thick sidewalls you can go really low with the psi for velcro grip without any sidewall squirm). TR is the tubeless ready version (must use sealant). Skinwall are the new lighter racing version. EXO is the extra sidewall protection version. And of course, they have one version that has a wire bead instead of all the rest that are folding bead.

Do you need the extra sidewall protection in your area of Florida? Are there lots of sharp rocks? Are you going to be racing? Sounds like the TR version with sealant would be just fine for you in Florida, but they will all take sealant and run tubeless on the Rovals.

Then choose your size. Just make sure you have clearance in the rear for a good 60-61 mm width (the 2.4). It's a pretty tall casing as well, so you need some good clearance in the rear for the 2.4. Fun tire though.
    The 14 warmest years have all occurred in the 16 years since 1997.

mtbr member
    If you want to minimize weight, you could go EXO on the back and not on the front. Or, as BB said, if sidewall protection isn't a big deal, non-EXO front and back. I have the 26x2.4 EXO front and back for Moab, tubeless. I imagine the 29x2.25 would be more than enough out there (there have been a BUNCH of posts on this, and the 29x2.25 seems a favorite). I also have the Ikons - a great tire and lighter and faster than the Ardents - another favorite on the 29er boards.

mtbr member
    Yea get a nice quality rear tire, and just buy a cheap version up front.. Really? I guess I am one of those who tend to think that a front tire failure can be much more dangerous than a rear.

Ardent's are good tires. If you need the sidewall, do them both. The problem is they only come in 2.4 with the EXO version. The 2.25 seems to be the popular size, depends on your area and needs. I think the Ignitors are worth a look. The 2.1 size looks about the exact same as the 2.25 Ardent when inflated and they come with a kevlar sidewall.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I just installed a set on my 29er today, I put the EXO 2.4 on the ft and the 2.25 TR on the rear , tubeless of course.......I like the 2.4 EXO on the ft except its actually only a 2.3 but that should be ok ( I like really big ft tires , the 2.4 ardents used to be 2.5 big but they are smaller now) ......then the 2.25 single on the rear, and it is really kind of a joke , its 10 mm shorter overall than my worn out 2.2 saguaro and its only a 2.1 width barely ...........so I kinda screwed up .

I should have put the EXO 2.4 ft and back like I wanted to at first , but I second guessed myself and screwed the pooch !!

So do not do what I did .

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    have you measured the 2.25? What is the measured 2.25x29 width at the casing?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    unfortunately for me it measures 1.9 .......

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstr View Post
    I just installed a set on my 29er today, I put the EXO 2.4 on the ft and the 2.25 TR on the rear , tubeless of course.......I like the 2.4 EXO on the ft except its actually only a 2.3 but that should be ok ( I like really big ft tires , the 2.4 ardents used to be 2.5 big but they are smaller now) ......then the 2.25 single on the rear, and it is really kind of a joke , its 10 mm shorter overall than my worn out 2.2 saguaro and its only a 2.1 width barely ...........so I kinda screwed up .
    I don't think you'll find any evidence that a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 ever measured out to be a 2.5 (63.5mm width) unless it was on some sort of "out of the norm" super wide rim. Give the tire time to "grow into" its size (could take days, weeks or months). A good thread on all of that can be found here with regard to the 29"er Ardent 2.4.

The 2.4 up front with the 2.25 in the rear is a nice combination. I'd go 2.4 front and rear for a rigid bike (like SS) or a bigger hit full suspension bike for some fun monster truck riding in mountains that involve some fun downhill stuff.

I even enjoyed racing them on my Dos Niner for the care free descending, but the rear knobs would rub the frame in the rear on serious out of saddle efforts due to clearance issues on wide 29"er rims and that frame. So I've opted for another large volume, but small knob tire on that bike (Renegade 2.3) which is more XC race oriented than the Ardent 2.4 - especially as a rear tire.

Wheelhouse Drops

Give your tire a bit of time to stretch and grow. Maxxis bases their measurements on a tire being inflated to 60 psi using a tube as their "industry standard" way of measuring.

BB
    The 14 warmest years have all occurred in the 16 years since 1997.

mtbr member
    FWIW......

I recently bought (4) Ardent EXO 2.4's all at a similar time. Love the tire. Rolls fast for how aggressive they are. Here are the weights...

855g
    850g
    835g
    765g

For having a listed 805g weight, mine were WAY off.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    I don't think you'll find any evidence that a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 ever measured out to be a 2.5 (63.5mm width) unless it was on some sort of "out of the norm" super wide rim. Give the tire time to "grow into" its size (could take days, weeks or months). A good thread on all of that can be found here with regard to the 29"er Ardent 2.4.

The 2.4 up front with the 2.25 in the rear is a nice combination. I'd go 2.4 front and rear for a rigid bike (like SS) or a bigger hit full suspension bike for some fun monster truck riding in mountains that involve some fun downhill stuff.

I even enjoyed racing them on my Dos Niner for the care free descending, but the rear knobs would rub the frame in the rear on serious out of saddle efforts due to clearance issues on wide 29"er rims and that frame. So I've opted for another large volume, but small knob tire on that bike (Renegade 2.3) which is more XC race oriented than the Ardent 2.4 - especially as a rear tire.

Wheelhouse Drops

Give your tire a bit of time to stretch and grow. Maxxis bases their measurements on a tire being inflated to 60 psi using a tube as their "industry standard" way of measuring.

BB
    You are correct , the 2.4 never actually measured 2.5 but after a month of pounding it would come close , its just generally on 33 mm internal rim width that the freshly installed 2.4 at 60 psi tubeless would run around 2.36 to 2.37 , this 2.4 EXO is right at 2.30 , which I can live with and I know that in a month of beating it it will grow .

Its the rear 2.25 being short and narrow that I really did not like .

But I just did a 24.4 mile loop with 1000 ft of climbing ( just some light XC stuff here in AZ ) and I was really amazed how well that little short narrow rear tire climbed and did not slip in the loose hacky shale and dry marbles that we have here in AZ . ( the 2.4 ft was just absolutely fantastic , I just love this tire ).

Now in the real AM DH nasty crap with sharp alligator teeth and razor sharp loose shale will more than likely kill the poor little thing , but I will try it while I am waiting for my correct 2.4 to get here so I will have a matching set .

P.S. That is a good looking SALSA your on there in that pic, I remember when I was that young and healthy looking