Thread: maxxis Ardent ?

I'm with stupid

maxxis Ardent ?

Well it is that type of season again and the snow is going to start flying very soon. I was wondering How the Ardent 2.4 did in snowy conditions, be packed snow on trails or fresh tracks. Anyone have any experience with this tire in the snow?

forgot to add I can run this tire or a nevegal with the "steve pete" cut on it. I cant afford to get any new tires for this winter so Im trying to make the best choice before I set them up ghetto tubeless so I can run low psi. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I ran my 2.25" Ardents last week in snow. Heavy, packed snow, which it did fine. Just keep the PSI low. I ran my 2.4" Ardents last year and it was about the same. Both set up ghetto tubeless.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I ran my 2.4 Ardent last winter at 20 PSI and it had great traction. The wider footprint is nice too so that you don't slide out suddenly and sharply. It's more forgiving if you lose traction.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Sorry for a slight hi-jack. How does this tire perform on loose rock trails? We have hard clay soil with tons of loose rocks - golf ball to baseball sized. I'm looking for a better tire to handle the rocky conditions. Also looking at the Kenda Nevegal. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Where there is snow, there is eventually going to be ice. Where there is ice, studded tires rule. I know you are on a budget, but factor in the all advantages of studded tires. You ride full speed and stop on a dime and get to your destination faster. You can use them for 3 or more years. IF you can use your bike instead of warming up and driving your car in the winter, you save money. You virtually eliminate the risk of slipping and injuring yourself, which is something that could really blow your budget.

Best of all, it just makes winter riding a blast--I can hardly wait to get out and ride in just about any condition except deep snow.

Paste eater
    As far as 29er options go, the ardent is pretty good. I do not think it is as good as some of the other agressive Maxxis options Advantage/Minion. Sadly, no 9er versions for in those? Just wish the knobs both side and center were a bit bigger sometimes. The tire just seems to slide before the aforementioned options...

rr
    I don't do PC
    I have never liked the Ardent in snow, hardpacked it's fine but so is pretty much any tire, in soft or pow cond's it rides like in our loose stuff here.

Luckily I have some new rubber to try for this winter tho, DHF/DHR 2 combo, awww yeeeh

I'm with stupid
    **** ricky bobby get me a set! lol

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I don't even want to think what these tires will be like in the snow