mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Maxxis Ardent 29 X 2.40"

Hi Everyone!

I'm riding Bontrager 29-4, 29 X 2.30" wide front and rear that came with the bike when I first bought it.
    The 29-4 is a big tire, and its pretty good for my style of riding (full day desert trails, single tracks, steep rocky descends), but It's kind of slowing me down on flat sections of the trail.

So, I'm looking for a better rolling resistance tire (F/R), but steel want it to be an agressive one that suits my style of riding ang grip as well as the 29-4.

What do you think about the Maxxis Ardent 29 X 2.40"? heard and read good things about it, but I'm affraid it's gonna be too wide and slow me down on the flat sections too . Is the 2.40" version of the ardent rolls as good as the 2.25", or should I buy the 2.25" Ardent?

Did anyone tried the Schwalbe Hans Dampf 29 X 2.35"? How is this one rolls compared to the Ardent 2.40"?

Thanks, Mo.

hispanic mechanic
    Last year I raced a super rocky 50 miler with the Ardent 2.4 front and rear. I was suitably impressed with how the rear rolled, and the EXOs held up really well in conditions that were shredding other tires. I switched out the rear to an Ikon simply because the Ardent was overkill for most of the courses I race on.
    In my experience, the Ardent both rolls better and handles more predictably than the 29-4.
    I haven't been on the Hans Dampf, but I understand it's kind of slow rolling comparatively.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mo6500 View Post
    What do you think about the Maxxis Ardent 29 X 2.40"? heard and read good things about it, but I'm affraid it's gonna be too wide and slow me down on the flat sections too . Is the 2.40" version of the ardent rolls as good as the 2.25", or should I buy the 2.25" Ardent?
    I tried both and kept the 2,4" Ardent because I could not really feel any difference in rolling resistance. You could try an 2,4 Ardent on the back and keep your 29-4 at the front.

hispanic mechanic

Maxxis Ardent 29 X 2.40"

Quote Originally Posted by DerBergschreck View Post
    I tried both and kept the 2,4" Ardent because I could not really feel any difference in rolling resistance. You could try an 2,4 Ardent on the back and keep your 29-4 at the front.
    I found the Ardent to be a much more confidence-inspiring tire up front than the 29-4. It's simply not as good as the Ardent, IMO.

Los
    Jens Voight

Stoked for summer!
    I'm running ardent 29's front and rear. 2.4 up front 2.25 in the rear. The 2.4 is a much nicer tire; not much heavier but has taller knobs and better protection. The 2.4 is very grippy!

An option for you as well is running the Ardent 2.4 up front with something like the new Ikon 2.35 or a racing ralph in the rear; those will run quite a bit faster.

hispanic mechanic

Maxxis Ardent 29 X 2.40"

Quote Originally Posted by maximum.minimum View Post

An option for you as well is running the Ardent 2.4 up front with something like the new Ikon 2.35 or a racing ralph in the rear; those will run quite a bit faster.
    Yeah, I think a 2.35 Ikon in back would pair well with a 2.4 Ardent!

Los
    Jens Voight

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by maximum.minimum View Post
    I'm running ardent 29's front and rear. 2.4 up front 2.25 in the rear. The 2.4 is a much nicer tire; not much heavier but has taller knobs and better protection. The 2.4 is very grippy!

If you ride trails you will miss the cornering knobs of the Ardent with an Ikon on the rear wheel. I don't like it, if in curves I have good cornering traction on the front and the back looses traction if I lean over.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mo6500 View Post
    Hi Everyone!

I'm riding Bontrager 29-4, 29 X 2.30" wide front and rear that came with the bike when I first bought it.
    The 29-4 is a big tire, and its pretty good for my style of riding (full day desert trails, single tracks, steep rocky descends), but It's kind of slowing me down on flat sections of the trail.

So, I'm looking for a better rolling resistance tire (F/R), but steel want it to be an agressive one that suits my style of riding ang grip as well as the 29-4.

Did anyone tried the Schwalbe Hans Dampf 29 X 2.35"? How is this one rolls compared to the Ardent 2.40"?

Thanks, Mo.
    I'd go 2.2 in back and 2.4 in front. I love the extra grip/contact patch on the front tire and I love the lighter weight on the wheel that I'm rotating with my pedals. It's a solid compromise IMO. I also like the Continental Trail Kings which are a bit stickier, and possibly as fast for faster if you get the protection (not the UST) model. With Maxxis, the LUST versions are pretty heavy so go with the EXO, even for riding tubeless set ups if you're concerned with rolling resistance/weight, etc...