Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mavic sucks

mtbr member

Mavic sucks

I have to rant here on how crappy mavic crossmax st wheels suck from day one they creaked and i have sent them back twice and the 2nd time they came back they were worse then when i sent them back! there customer SUCKS DO NOT BUY MAVIC PRODUCTS!!!!!

Plays with tools
    That's a little harsh. I've had pretty good experiences overall with Mavic in the ~15 years I've been selling, riding and dealing with them. Sure they have had a few issues over the years but they've always done an adequate job of dealing with them.

mtbr member
    I dig my Crossmax...

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Best RIMS in the business. But everything else, from spokes to hubs to headsets...they never seem to get quite right...
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Best RIMS in the business. But everything else, from spokes to hubs to headsets...they never seem to get quite right...
    I think the 2013 hubs are really good.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hey Guys,
    I've been running Mavic wheels for over a decade and I've found them to be some of the most reliable wheels around. I started doing Community Management for them this year so I'm around to answer any questions you might have. Feel free to DM me or post them up here. Napa, I read your comment about creaky wheels and it's a really simple fix. The hub/spoke interface on the wheel wheel can dry out and since both components are aluminum they can creak. A drop of mineral oil right where the spoke heads sit on the rear hub will fix it, just be careful not to use too much and avoid your rotors. Hope that info helps and allows you to enjoy your wheels a little more.

Jeff

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I don't want to trash Mavic, some of the stuff they do is really nicely engineered and innovative. But in my somewhat limited experience Mavic wheels are pretty hard to work with. Many models feature proprietary parts that cost a ton of money. The nipples tend to seize and make the wheels very hard to true. I've worked on two pairs of these wheels and even the very experienced wheel builder at the LBS can't loosen the nipples.

the road wheels just as proprietary and yet somehow Ksyriums are standard on almost every bike.

AZ
    banned
    I really liked the Mavic wheels I have used.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Very decent rims. Can't say the same for their hubs however

Contact with HQ regarding their 650b AND 29er rim offerings for 2014 was met with little enthusiasm. Hopefully they will embark on rim production to include wider, welded not pinned models that can accommodate up to 36H hubs

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I've had seized nipples on just about every wheel Iv'e owned, not just a Mavic issue.

Also I have a set of STs I've been riding for 2 years and all I've done to them is lube the freeheub, which I found to be quite easy.

JGL
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I bought a low-spec Titus Motolite six years ago with the thought that I would replace the low-end stuff as it broke. That is how it has worked out, except, that the only parts I haven't replaced have been the two that I viewed as most likely. Avid Juicy three brakes and Mavic Crossrides. I have beaten the crap out of them (I weigh 230 and used to be much heavier and ride in Utah's Wasatch, Moab and St. George). Never trued, hubs serviced once. I've been impressed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Send them to me for proper disposal.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey44 View Post
    I think the 2013 hubs are really good.
    How many yrs did it take them to get it right?
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by threebikes View Post
    Send them to me for proper disposal.
    You are not a certified metal head so you can't dispose of metal properly. I will have to take care of them myself. The sacrifices I make for the people on this board are astounding.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I liked their rims, but they sat on their hands and stopped developing new UST rims. The 819 and 823 have been unchanged since 2007 since I started back mtb. A lighter 823 would have had me stay with Mavic instead of building my new wheelset with WTB I23 rims.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    How many yrs did it take them to get it right?
    I don't know, I have always used CK laced to Stan's until 2013...

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by napa View Post
    I have to rant here on how crappy mavic crossmax st wheels suck from day one they creaked and i have sent them back twice and the 2nd time they came back they were worse then when i sent them back! there customer SUCKS DO NOT BUY MAVIC PRODUCTS!!!!!
    So, quit your whining and just sell them. You know they suck (in your opinion) so why are you hanging on to them?

There are folks lining up for Mavic system wheels like yours. I'll bet you could sell them and take the cash and buy a decent solid traditional wheelset without too much hassle.

Personally, I shy away from any 'system' wheelsets. My issue is, anything goes wrong with them and you're dealing with your LBS, the manufacturer, shipping and a whole slew of headaches that would be avoided with a good quality traditional wheelset. Me, I just wanna ride. If I pop a spoke, I can just drive 2 miles down my hill to my local shop (a very not bike friendly drive, or I would just ride another bike... plus, I'm down there all the time getting groceries, picking up kids, etc.), spend $3 and replace it myself that night.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The only Mavic product I have is shoes and they're decent but will probably get something better when it's time to replace.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    The only Mavic product I have is shoes and they're decent but will probably get something better when it's time to replace.
    Don't know about the shoes, but love Mavic socks.

Mavic Socks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hey guys, I want to start a constructive dialog regarding the common gripe I hear about "proprietary parts" on wheels. I've been a Mavic athlete for close to 10 years so I'm very familiar with the products and I answer a lot of questions on forums on their behalf when I feel like I can add something to the conversation. I'm just trying to understand the pushback I read about sometimes regarding the system approach to bike components, particularly wheels. Most manufacturers that have the resources are pushing towards a complete wheel system these days because when all the parts are designed to work together you can achieve some low weights and consistent ride characteristics. I've been using Mavic wheels for over decade now on all my bikes, in all different types of applications and I've never had an issue where my downtime was a result of a part that I couldn't find a replacement for. I think the idea of building wheels as light or as strong as some of the popular systems using off the shelf parts seems idealistic but it's just not realistic. I tour around to a lot of bike shops and double butted spokes, aluminum nipples, rims strips and similar stuff is just as difficult to find in my experience as a particular wheel manufacturers part. What's your opinion or experience?

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffLenosky View Post
    and double butted spokes, aluminum nipples, rims strips and similar stuff is just as difficult to find in my experience as a particular wheel manufacturers part. What's your opinion or experience?
    My opinion is that you're a paid shill that's incapable of differentiating fact from fiction.

As such your opinion will not be trusted WRT wheel stuffs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    My opinion is that you're a paid shill that's incapable of differentiating fact from fiction.

As such your opinion will not be trusted WRT wheel stuffs.
    Kettle meet Black

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffLenosky View Post
    Hey guys, I want to start a constructive dialog regarding the common gripe I hear about "proprietary parts" on wheels. I've been a Mavic athlete for close to 10 years so I'm very familiar with the products and I answer a lot of questions on forums on their behalf when I feel like I can add something to the conversation. I'm just trying to understand the pushback I read about sometimes regarding the system approach to bike components, particularly wheels. Most manufacturers that have the resources are pushing towards a complete wheel system these days because when all the parts are designed to work together you can achieve some low weights and consistent ride characteristics. I've been using Mavic wheels for over decade now on all my bikes, in all different types of applications and I've never had an issue where my downtime was a result of a part that I couldn't find a replacement for. I think the idea of building wheels as light or as strong as some of the popular systems using off the shelf parts seems idealistic but it's just not realistic. I tour around to a lot of bike shops and double butted spokes, aluminum nipples, rims strips and similar stuff is just as difficult to find in my experience as a particular wheel manufacturers part. What's your opinion or experience?
    14-15-14 DB J spokes are easily sourced here, Mavic spokes , not so much. I really don't get the low count , high tension thing for MTB either? Like we need aero for 8-20mph?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The reality is that products like the Crossmax as light and well engineered as they are, are not locally serviceable. The parts are not easy to find and they are extremely costly. On the Crossmaxes there is not one component that is not proprietary. I may be a bit of a curmudgeon when it comes to wheel building and repair. But when the nipples seize on these things and you can't even true them without fear of expensive damage, that's a problem for a non-sponsored rider who doesn't have extra wheels sitting around.

I don't want to travel to ride in some distant location, bend a rim and lose the use of my bike as no local shop can source parts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have a set of Crossmax SX, first generation. Got about two years on to them before they needed attention. Getting parts such as the Zycral spokes and freehubs have been a pain in Canada meaning downtime waiting for parts. I bought spares when stuff broke to avoid downtime. I understand that Salomon Canada will be handling distribution directly next year though so hopefully the problem goes away.

I will say that it would be nice if Mavic made their UST tubeless rims wider for all mountain wheels. I find the 21mm wide ones are too prone to burping for my liking.

Jeff - fully realized you are sponsored by Mavic - I think you made that pretty clear in your first post.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast