Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Mavic SLRs for my 29er build.

So after looking at cheaper options, I retracted and went for the Mavic SLRs for my carbon 29er build. For those of you that run these. What do you like or dislike about them? I hope I made the right choice, as I could have gone with the Ritchie vantage alloy wheelset for much cheaper. It looks like a solid & light wheelset as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I have the Crossmax ST's and love them. I noticed the quicker engagement compared to the stock rims I had right away. I do have an annoying pinging sound coming from the rear spokes that I'm going to hopefully address today. No real complaints though. Have fun on your new build!

mtbr member
    I have been running the SLR's for 3 months now. I like them a lot so far, stiff, great engagement and pretty damn light. They seem really tough as I have gotten a stick in the spokes twice now, pulled me to a dead stop and no damage at all. I'm 200 lbs loaded up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The price of 1k and the width of 19mm offset the 1568g excellent weight. 19 is too skinny.
    Other wheels I would choose first are the Roval Control Carbon 29 with a bit negotiated off the 1200 list and star ratchet rear.
    I am drawn to the Syntace MX-W35 for their internal width of 28.5mm and a bit more weight for the money.
    Wheels and Hubs
    When the rims become available I'm building this with my Dt rear hub.

mtbr member
    The width doesn't seem to bother me at all but then I again, I run pretty skinny tires which don't bother me either.

Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    The price of 1k and the width of 19mm offset the 1568g excellent weight. 19 is too skinny.
    Other wheels I would choose first are the Roval Control Carbon 29 with a bit negotiated off the 1200 list and star ratchet rear.
    I am drawn to the Syntace MX-W35 for their internal width of 28.5mm and a bit more weight for the money.
    Wheels and Hubs
    When the rims become available I'm building this with my Dt rear hub.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If your terrain allows you to run 2.1" or smaller tires, a 19mm interior dimension rim could be made to work. Most likely it is something that has worked in the past. For the future? 1590g Roval Control Carbon 29 are 22mm with a star ratchet dt hub.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    So what's the fattest tire I could run on these wheels? Tubeless or otherwise.

mtbr member
    I run a 2.1 on back and a 2.1 or a 2.35 on front depending where I am riding. Ikon's are pretty narrow for the size they are marked. I am 203 lbs and run 23 psi front and 27 psi back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis M. View Post

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Might try out the Bontrager 29-4s. They're 2.3 and run fairly wide. I love these tires on my 26er (XR 4s ).

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I've used 2.1's and 2.25's and they seem to do just fine for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Bailey44-your bike is sick! That will be my next bike. I"m going to rent one while I'm in Colorado this next week.

mtbr member
    Thanks man, it's 23.45 lbs of pure bliss.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim2103 View Post
    Bailey44-your bike is sick! That will be my next bike. I"m going to rent one while I'm in Colorado this next week.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    This Syntace graphic depicts the drawbacks of using modern tires with high-volume casings, mounted to narrow rims. Is wider better? Initial testing indicates a resounding yes.

Mavic SLRs for my 29er build.-p4pb8471370.jpg
    You can run 2.25s. You just could get more out of them on wider rims. Wheels will be going for wider internal measurement because you get benefits from it like other component choices. So if you are spending 1k right now it's good to get as much as you can for the future so you don't want to repurchase in six months. Also helps maintain resale value.
    Here's a review of the wide Syntace W35 MX for some info---
    Syntace W35 MX Wheels - Tested - Pinkbike

I would buy a set of ArchEx/Hopes from Wiggle for $382(Arch means ArchEx in dropdown) before 1k on Mavics.
    wiggle.com | Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo MTB Wheelset | MTB Wheels

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Wow bailey, good weight, and I agree ! Killer bike.I hope I can get close to that weight
    , but I doubt it.
    eb, totally with you man. That's why I didn't pay full pop for them.

mtbr member
    I would buy them again without hesitation.

Just throw a lot of money at it and it will be light...lol...
    Wow bailey, good weight, and I agree ! Killer bike.I hope I can get close to that weight
    , but I doubt it.
    eb, totally with you man. That's why I didn't pay full pop for them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Aint that the truth...lol, but I'm trying to be trifty. I'd be thrilled with anything under 25 lbs.

Just throw a lot of money at it and it will be light...lol...[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey44 View Post
    I run a 2.1 on back and a 2.1 or a 2.35 on front depending where I am riding. Ikon's are pretty narrow for the size they are marked. I am 203 lbs and run 23 psi front and 27 psi back.
    This sounds so similar to me. I'm running the SLR's with the a 2.0 on the back and I was running a 2.35 RaRa in the front. I recently changed to a 2.3 ground control. Either way I haven't had any issues whatsoever and I absolutely love the wheels. I'm weighing anywhere between 203 to 205 loaded up and I am on an Epic.

To answer the OP's question, I love the fact that they are light and strong. In fact, I've cased a couple of doubles badly and the wheels are still holding true. IMO they have to be the best looking wheels out there as well. The only negative to the wheels is that the wheels use proprietary parts (such as the spokes) so if you actually break one, then it might take some time to get fixed as opposed to the shop having it in stock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJIV View Post

To answer the OP's question, I love the fact that they are light and strong. In fact, I've cased a couple of doubles badly and the wheels are still holding true. IMO they have to be the best looking wheels out there as well. The only negative to the wheels is that the wheels use proprietary parts (such as the spokes) so if you actually break one, then it might take some time to get fixed as opposed to the shop having it in stock.
    First thing I did before I bought mine was spoke with my shop about parts, they have a lot of everything, in stock at all times, to fix my wheels so I was comfortable with the purchase. There is a good chance that down the line, as newer wheels make their way into the shop, the could quit carrying the stuff I need but I never seem to keep my gear very long anyway...

mtbr member
    I think they are prone to grabbing stick as I have also caught 2 in the spokes; that stopped me in my tracks. I asked my shop if he needed to look at the spokes afterwards and he said that my frame would break before those spokes would.
    Quote Originally Posted by devinakbv View Post
    They seem really tough as I have gotten a stick in the spokes twice now, pulled me to a dead stop and no damage at all. I'm 200 lbs loaded up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    If the spokes are bent, they are still fine. If they break, they are not fine. No reason for the shop to look at them unless the wheel is not true anymore.

Since sticks are not under warranty, watch-out for sticks. Spokes are $10 each on those wheels, if you can find them. I rarely see shops carry them, so you have to buy 20 or more from Mavic. A broken spoke can easily cost over $100 with any Mavic wheelsystem with aluminum bladed spokes.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Mavic bladed spokes will eventually start creaking like crickets, once the anodization wears off the Zicral aluminum spokes, and dirt gets between the spoke crossings. It will drive you crazy...because it sounds like a rusty wheel is slowly turning. Lube only works for a few months, before the noise returns with a vengeance.

Freehub maintenence is a twice-annual thing, depending on how much you ride. Stock up on Hub Doctor aftermarket freehub bushings(waaay better than Mavic OEM!) and keep several packs of Mavic pawl kits too. Walmart Mineral Oil works just fine, when re-lubricating everything back together.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Not liking the idea of all this maintenance on these wheels.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Not liking the idea of all this maintenance on these wheels.
    I hear you. I lived with my Mavics for 3 years. Good thing people will pay top dollar for those used wheels.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Going to use them to see benefit-cost ratio . If I don't like it, I'll move on to something else!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Too bad about the mavic freehubs, because i really like the rest of the package.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast