mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Mavic crossmax st or Stan's arch ex with Hope hubs

Hi all

I am 185 lbs with no gear, 6'3". I am looking for a more durable and better performing wheel than the Bontrager Race Lites that came on my Superfly 100 AL Pro.

I ride all mountain and have a 12 hour and 24 hour race this summer and a number of 50-100 mile rides planned.

Which wheel is going to be the most trouble free and best performing??

Lets say that the cost is the same. The Mavics are the 2013 and the Stan's would be hand built.

Thanks for any insight.

Cheers

MTB B'dos
    Don't like proprietary anything, so most def not the Crossmax wheels, can't just happen to pick up a spoke at any little shop in some small town in the middle of nowhere, but you can find a normal J-bend spoke most places close enough in length to work.

I've been on my Stans Flow/Pro2 wheels for over 4 years and they've been fantastic, no issues with the rims or hubs except replacing the bearings on the rear once recently and the smaller older design 2 internal bearings on the freehub which are now replaced with a needle bearing which should be much more durable. I've rebuilt them once since they're built with alloy nipples and I live on an island and regularly ride right along the sea, so they corrode no matter what. Just got a new Pro2 EVO laced to a Crest and running it upfront and it's working fantastic as well.
    Last edited by LyNx; 04-30-2013 at 06:48 AM. Reason: to fix paragraphs and readability.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Good point on the spoke issue. Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    You'll probably get many different answers but I'd personally take the mavics only because the hope hubs are really loud...just my personal preference. You can always buy an extra couple spokes to keep on hand if that's a concern. I've owned both wheelsets and as far as durability, I would imagine both are the same..neither gave me any problems. I just recently bought the American classics all mountains and those are my new favorite in that price range. Your getting a wider and stiffer rim which also weigh slightly less then both of those other wheelsets. At the end of the day, I think you'll be happy with either one you choose.

On a side note, Does mavic still do the crash protection plan? A little added peice of mind if going that route.

mtbr member
    I would go for the Hopes with Arch EX's.

The Hopes are only loud when you're coasting...

SPP
    Rigid.

HAHA PWN
    I got the ST and I think it's okay. I'll get some LB carbon rims on the Hopes instead of the Arch EX if I had to do it all over again.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Interesting question!
    I have crossmax st's on my Santa Cruz nomad and I have arch ex's on my tallboy carbon.
    I'm 185ish.
    Mavic's have been bulletproof for 2 years and roll great. No probs whatsoever. I did just have my rear hub serviced.
    My arches are laced to dt Swiss 350 hubs. Roll very fast and tubeless setup is very simple.
    I have taco'd an arch ex on one of our local techy dh trails. Funny thing is, halfway down the trail I recall asking myself 'why am I on my 29er and not on my nomad'. Shortly thereafter I landed a small drop wrong and taco'd.

Tough call. Personally if you're more xc inclined go arch. More all mountain, go mavic.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I have a set of Hope Pro 2 / Crest wheels ( Don't bother with these )

I have a couple of sets of Pro 2 Arch EX's & they are Ok & would work Ok if you are looking for ( OK )

I have got I9 / Flows & they have been great, As have my other Flow wheel sets but they are a bit heavy.

I had a set of I9 / Light bike carbon wheels for a couple of weeks & really liked them ( A lot ) but my friend wanted a set so I sold him mine & brought myself a new set of I9 torch Trail carbon wheels & they are awesome.

So having played with many wheels, My pick for you would be Carbon Light bike rims on something like Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs to keep the price down.

A bit pricey but I also like the I9 torch Trail Alloy wheels.

I have owned Mavic's but I'm not a big fan.

As for not being able to get spokes, Well they do sell them & there is no law stopping you from keeping some your self, just like a spare chain or Quick links etc.

Bikes!
    I have the Crossmax ST's and have had a few sets of Hope Hoops, the last having Stans rims which I wasn't impressed with. If Mavic released a tubeless rim like the one they use on the Crossmax ST's then I'd probably have them fitted to a Hope Pro II Evo, however they don't and I've been very impressed with the ST's since I bought them in October. Very stiff, the hubs are a massive improvement on recent years so much so they are now up their with Hope in my opinion.

If you do go for the Mavics, take them up on their MP3 option, as it means worry free biking as far as the wheels go.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Thanks for all of the replies. I am hoping for a long term wheel set. Mavics will be 100-200 more than the Stan's and hopes from prowheelbuilder.com

Any other thoughts out there??

Cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bwj75 View Post
    Thanks for all of the replies. I am hoping for a long term wheel set. Mavics will be 100-200 more than the Stan's and hopes from prowheelbuilder.com
    With the price difference it is a no-brainer...

Get the Hopes w/STan's.

SPP
    Rigid.

Big Boy
    I would look at the hope pro 2/wtb frequency i23 from prowheelbuilder also. Cheaper, wider, lighter, stiffer.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!