cash money

Mavic Crossmax ST 29 upgrade for Superfly 100

I am thinking of these wheels as my upgrades... Supposedly much stronger than SLR 29 and only 90 grams more... Any thoughts/ experiences with these wheels? These would be for my 2012 Trek Superfly 100 AL Pro... It is 15qr front and 142 by 12 rear...I mean it seems like these wheels would be a real sweet setup. I would be racing on them and doing xc/ trail riding on them as well...
    I work at a bike shop. Trek, Gt, fuji, DB, etc...

2012 Trek Superfly 100 al pro-sold
    Soon to be 2014 trek slash 8

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    19mm inner rim width. 24 spokes. ArchEX is 21mm FlowEX is 25.5mm.

mtbr member
    The new ones ?

Nice! Get them. My next upgrade.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Can't speak for the new STs but I've been running C29ssmax wheels for one year on a HiFi. ~2500 miles and all of it in Pisgah. Much of that was training and racing the 111k. No issues what so ever. Super simple to maintain and adjust. More engagement points on the new free hub and the flexibility of fitting different axles would be a nice upgrades. CKs and I9s are super sweet, but if you can't afford them, Mavic may your next best option.
    Good Luck

tg
    mtbr member
    They will be on my new Satori by late fall.

mtbr member
    I have the 2012 Crossmax ST 26" wheelset, which has the same hub and rim width.

It is rated for 1.5 - 2.3 tires and I do think that an oversized 2.3 or any 2.4 would be undesireable on such a narrow rim, and might not setup tubeless. But you have a superfly 100, so I'm guessing that you may not care about (or be able to fit) a 2.4" anyway. I think it's a fantastic XC and trail wheel.

The ITS-4 hub engagement is 7.5 degrees, which is a big improvement over older Mavic hubs (15 deg). It also makes more noise when freewheeling, but it's still not quite the buzz or volume of a Chris King.

The rim is super tough, that's why it has so few spokes. Of course, I'm only 167 pounds, 175 or less ready to ride. Also, on this subject, you should consider the MP3 warranty. It was $63 for my wheels for 2 years of no-fault, nearly unconditional damage protection. Taco a wheel? Covered. Wife backs her car over your bike? Well, at least the wheels are covered...

Final tip: I had great luck with Specialized 2Bliss Ground Control (Control model, LOL) tires-- they aired right up with a floor pump. I didn't want the weight of UST. Since you work at a Trek shop, if you use Bonty TLR tires you should be good to go. The only thing you need besides the wheels and tires is an injector and sealant.