mtbr member

Masterpiece is not for me

I have a Thompson Masterpiece with setback on my RDO with a 120mm fork, with a resultant STA of 73.5* according to Niner. And while it is a quality post and all, the range of adjustment is insufficient to level my WTB Rocket.
    I am able to get the saddle to" nearly" level with the front adjustment bolt tight(- no further forward tilt available, which is also not advised by Thompson), in this position I am not able to get the rear bolt tight enough to completely tighten on the rails at the rear, resulting in creaks and wobble in the saddle, though not enough to cause slippage.

Anyone experienced this? Suggested fixes? Any suggested alternate light setback posts with a greater range of tilt? Need 350mm length and 31.6 diameter

mtbr member
    DO you have the seat rail clamp installed correctly with the right part facing forward?

mtbr member
    I use a Gussett Skyscraper with micro-adjust. I have no idea of the weight but it isn't heavy at all. They sell shorter versions of the same post, somewhere around $40.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater View Post
    DO you have the seat rail clamp installed correctly with the right part facing forward?
    This. Or Thomson recommends to flip the clamp section backwards if you need more tilt in one direction or the other.

I also use anti-seize on the threads of the bolts and grease on the pivot section to fight off the creaks on my commuter - never had any issues on other bikes with Thomson posts but my commuter gets exposed to the worst weather.

I'm sure you know this but if your saddle is level with the bike stationary, it's going to be angled down when your fork sags. You might want to leave it 1-2 degrees nosed up so that it's level in actual use.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    ^^^ This. I had to flip my around to get the right tilt also. I f that doesn't work send that POS seatpost to me and Ill get rid of it for you
    Seeking MB-2 Fork (19.3), Ritchey FD post silver 26.8

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater View Post
    Yes. I'd thought of that too and tried it reversed it just to see... it didn't even come close to level that way.

mtbr member
    Regarding the effect of sag, it is a FS bike and sags pretty equally front and rear.

I can get it quiet and annoyingly tilted up, or comfy level and creaky. I even thought about shimming the rails with something( beer can) so that the clamp would have more to clamp onto LOL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclutch View Post
    Yes. I'd thought of that too and tried it reversed it just to see... it didn't even come close to level that way.
    Take the whole clamp assembly apart because there's one piece that could be reversed and reassembled.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Problem diagnosed and fixed I found that it is not so much a problem with forward tilt range but clamp interference when rotated near the max forward tilt. Reversing the top part of the clamp would not help- actually couldn't get anywhere near level that way. Reversing the bottom piece has no effect as it is fore-aft symmetrical.
    BUT what I found is that when in extreme tilt/STA applications there is a web of aluminum between the rear lower rail troughs that interferes with a bulge of alum in the top clamp piece in which the cylinder nut rests. So I filed away a couple of mm of this web between the rail clamps-> BINGO- solid clamping with a level saddle! I could even get some forward tilt if I wanted to.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    OP - glad you could make it work. Now, go re-name the title of your thread....
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"