mtbr member
    Jan 2013

New question here. Marzocchi Corsa 29 SL Fork for a Specialized Rockhopper?

Hello,

I recently bought a 2012 Spec. Rockhopper 29er Comp as my first mountain bike. I live in Phoenix, AZ and these trails are kicking my butt due to handeling all the rocks. I constantly feel like I'm about to go over the bar. Everything I read about the bike suggested the fork was the issue and that it shouldn't be used on agressive tech trails.

I'm uncertain as to what to get and really wouldn't like to spend over $300. Along with the uncertainty of what fork to get, I also don't understand the dimensions and if it should be tapered?/non tapered...etc.

I'm not looking to race or go nuts on the bike. At its current state I find it almost unrideable on these trails. Would this be a decent shock to take a look at?

Looking around I found a post on CL :

i have a lightly used corsa 29 fork. 15mm through axle. retail is $670 new. asking 325 obo

Marzocchi Corsa Superleggera 29er Fork

Features:
    100mm travel
    TST Micro RC
    Micro Adjust Compression
    Rebound
    AER
    Air+ Neg. Spring
    29" Tire Clearance
    QR15 Thru Axle
    32mm Nickel Treatment Aluminum Tapered Stanchions
    Aluminum hollow crown
    In-House Measured Weight: 1680g (3.74 lbs)
    Last edited by AndyE12; 01-30-2013 at 03:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyE12 View Post
    Hello,

I recently bought a 2012 Spec. Rockhopper 29er Comp as my first mountain bike. I live in Phoenix, AZ and these trails are kicking my butt due to handeling all the rocks. I constantly feel like I'm about to go over the bar. Everything I read about the bike suggested the fork was the issue and that it shouldn't be used on agressive tech trails.

I'm uncertain as to what to get and really wouldn't like to spend over $300. Along with the uncertainty of what fork to get, I also don't understand the dimensions and if it should be tapered?/non tapered...etc.

I'm not looking to race or go nuts on the bike. At its current state I find it almost unrideable on these trails. Would this be a decent shock to take a look at?

Looking around I found a post on CL :

i have a lightly used corsa 29 fork. 15mm through axle. retail is $670 new. asking 325 obo

Marzocchi Corsa Superleggera 29er Fork

Features:
    100mm travel
    TST Micro RC
    Micro Adjust Compression
    Rebound
    AER
    Air+ Neg. Spring
    29" Tire Clearance
    QR15 Thru Axle
    32mm Nickel Treatment Aluminum Tapered Stanchions
    Aluminum hollow crown
    In-House Measured Weight: 1680g (3.74 lbs)
    I am pretty sure those are the specs for the more upgraded Marzocchi fork with the tapered steer tube. The Rockhopper has a straight tube and the Corsa fork you need is on sale right now on Blue Sky for $250. Don't forget you probably have a 9mm QR on your bike not a 15mm that he craigslist listing has, or the one on Blue Sky I mentioned. Honestly I haven't had bad luck with the fork that came on my 2010 Rockhopper 29er. It is heavy as a brick, but the coil / oil performance has been surprisingly good on the local trails (no DH obviously).

I would keep the fork you have and ride it until it fails, after getting is set up for your weight properly. Just my $.02
    Toughen Up Buttercup

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thank you for the reply. I see your riding in AZ - I've been doing a lot of South Mountain, Trail 100, etc. The fork is just not doing anything for these downhill and XC trails. Riding on rocks the entire time and going downhill is a mess. I've tried to find out the QR (I have no technical knowledge of bikes) for the bike but everything online just says QR, no number beside it. Would anyone know, personally on what QR this bike is?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyE12 View Post
    Thank you for the reply. I see your riding in AZ - I've been doing a lot of South Mountain, Trail 100, etc. The fork is just not doing anything for these downhill and XC trails. Riding on rocks the entire time and going downhill is a mess. I've tried to find out the QR (I have no technical knowledge of bikes) for the bike but everything online just says QR, no number beside it. Would anyone know, personally on what QR this bike is?
    Generally, if the hub is listed as QR, it will be a 9mm QR (what you have) it is the standard tried and true system that has been around forever. 15mm thru and 20mm thru are more modern setups and on more premium bikes and components. In a case like yours, you may want to upgrade the fork and wheelset at the same time. This way you are not spending money on a fork, then later on upgrading the wheelset but still limited by the 9mm.

A lot of people will criticize spending money on the Rockhopper, so get ready for a lot of comments saying to save money and get a whole new bike in a year or so. I personally love my Rockhopper and choose to ride it despite its reputation as an entry level hardtail. If you feel the same way about yours, a fork and wheelset will drop about 3 or 4 lbs off the total weight, and transform the bike!
    Toughen Up Buttercup

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I'm starting to wish I never bought it, to be honest. I just put it on craigslist to try to get rid of it. I think I would rather spend some extra money and grab a full suspension. Great bike on the easy trails - ie. Papago peak/thunderbird....but National - trail 100 was just a pain.

mtbr member
    If you go that route, my only advice is to do tons of research before pulling the trigger. There are so many specs, details and buzzwords, it could make your head spin... maybe rent or demo a few before buying. Of course, buying used is an option too. As you are about to find out, reselling a bike comes with a big money loss, so let someone else take the hit on your full squish... CL is full of bikes that were bought and rarely used!! good luck, I am sure that I will see you out there one of these days!
    Toughen Up Buttercup