Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    used to be RipRoar

Marzocchi 44 Micro Ti QR15 29

Not too many reviews on this thing I can find....anyone have an update on their experience to date?

mtbr member
    I don't have the 'Ti version' but I think its works quite well and heavier than other brands but it simply works..so far anyway.

Living the Dream
    Feb 2004

I've been searching like crazy too.

I am supprised at how little information is out there. It makes me wonder if it is a dud. I had a 66RC3 that I loved and I was hoping that this 29er would be the perfect fit to my DW Sultan. I am hoping for some more 140mm options in 2010.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

err, 27.5+
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow
    I am supprised at how little information is out there. It makes me wonder if it is a dud.
    Might have something to do with the market size. Other that a handful of MTBR fanatics how many people rushed out to pick up long travel trail 29ers? They are cool and all, but like snow bikes I think that there just isn't a big demand. MTBby198 did some reviewing of the niner WFO equiped with one. Look him up for a first hand report. IIRC when I rode with him he was liking the fork.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    I think it has more to do with availability. I have been waiting for them to become available for months...as it stands, it looks like I should see mine in the next couple weeks.

Living the Dream
    Feb 2004

cool thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    I think it has more to do with availability. I have been waiting for them to become available for months...as it stands, it looks like I should see mine in the next couple weeks.

For some reason, I was thinking you already had one. How are things down south. I am too much of a pu$$ to ride today with 20 degree temps and 30-40mph wind gusts.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    For some reason, I was thinking you already had one. How are things down south. I am too much of a pu$$ to ride today with 20 degree temps and 30-40mph wind gusts.
    We're getting ready to head out for a ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Marzocchi 44 micro ti

We did a review on the Niner Bikes WFO9 at http://www.29eronline.com

We are reviewing the Marzocchi separately.

What we found initially is that it works good on medium to large size hits. It has been terrible on small bumps. This is especially true at speed.

I have recently taken apart the fork as per the recommendation of Marzocchi. I bought molycote O-ring lube for the bushings. I also switched to 2.5 weight oil to speed up the valving(also recommended by Marzocchi)

Initially I felt the rebound was to slow. I took video of it to check. I sent the video to Marzocchi. What I noticed was the rebound seemed o.k. But as it hit the top out point the rebound became very slow.

I also felt that the front end seemed low for a 140mm fork. With the fork off the bike I noticed it was sitting at about 120mm. I can hold the axle and crown and pull the fork legs open the rest of the way to 140mm but it will not come out on it's own.

So far it has been frustrating and disappointing. I have owned many Marzocchi forks in the past. I have also worked with the first Marzocchi 29er forks(not my favorite). I was hoping for the Marzocchi feel of the past. Big gushy plush suspension.

I am trying to give Marzocchi a chance to fix this fork before I do the final review and have not completely dismissed the Marzocchi 44 micro ti. But as of today it is giving me more problems then doing me good.

One other performance note. The nickel coated sliders are super sticky. I would like to try the cheaper black sliders.

The only plus I can come up with is that it is the stiffest 29er fork I have ridden.

For the record it is a tapered head tube 15mm axle version. I have ridden the Fox tapered steer tube with 15mm axle for comparison. The Rock Shox and Manitou I have are standard axle and steer tubes so the comparison to those models is unfair.

I photographed the build process and plan to to a tech article on rebuilding the fork if the rebuild helps. So far it is not as sticky(O-ring lube) but other then that I dont have much else to say yet. I will also get feed back from a couple of more testers before I say anything to conclusive.

I hope this helps.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by AL29er
    Might have something to do with the market size. Other that a handful of MTBR fanatics how many people rushed out to pick up long travel trail 29ers? They are cool and all, but like snow bikes I think that there just isn't a big demand.
    Much like the "All Travel" system used by RS, the two Marz 44 29" forks can be set to 140mm, 120mm or 100mm travel.

Hmmm, I've seen them available for a few months. They do seem to be more widely available now. Looking forward to seeing how you like it.

Living the Dream
    Feb 2004

Thanks for the info and review.

Does anyone know if the cartridge sizes for 29 and 26 inch Marzocchi's are the same size? I would consider trying to get a 44RC3 cartidge aftermarket for the 29er 44 fork if it could be swapped out.

This brings up another point, why not offer the RC3 ti as an option. Not everyone on a
    29er wants a travel adjust air fork and this would solve the small bump issue.

Oh well, the pushed reba 120mm team I have is a damn good fork, I just want a buttery smooth marz coil front on my Sultan.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Does anyone know if the cartridge sizes for 29 and 26 inch Marzocchi's are the same size? I would consider trying to get a 44RC3 cartidge aftermarket for the 29er 44 fork if it could be swapped out.

This brings up another point, why not offer the RC3 ti as an option. Not everyone on a

Oh well, the pushed reba 120mm team I have is a damn good fork, I just want a buttery smooth marz coil front on my Sultan.
    I asked the guys at Marz about upgrading my 44 TST2 Air QR15 29 to an RC3 and was shown the difference in the lowers. The lowers are different for the RC3 model forks and since they don't have any 29er RC3 lowers for any forks, it apperars that an RC3 29er frankenfork isn't possible.

mtbr member

FWIW...a couple guys I know who have the micro ti have a VERY different point of view regarding small bump compliance.

banned
    Wow I almost bought one of these.

Working Man's Toilet
    I don't have the Ti version, but the cheaper Un-Ti version.
    I like it. I have it set on the 140mm of travel on my Behemoth. Not as stiff as the Modded Fox 36 I used to run, but that is not news. For the $$ ($380 or so) this has been a sweet fork. Lock-out works great. Downfall- travel adjust requires taking the fork apart and moving a spacer- yuck. I like it way better the Reba I had, somewhat better than the Manitou Minute I have, not as good as the modded Fox 36 (but also not as expensive).

mtbr member
    Some time ago there was a posting by "Mr.P" entitled:

Marzocchi 55 TST2 conversion to shim damping: step by step

To quote "Mr.P":

This is a modification to a Marzocchi 55 TST2 fork damper cartridge. This modification converts the lock-out to a low speed compression adjustment and adds a high-speed compression shim stack.

The cheaper 44 TST2 Air QR15 29" of course has the same TST2 damper as the 55 so I called Marzocchi Tech. and was informed that it was possible to do the same mod on the 29" fork. I really liked what he claimed the results to be and conceivably changes it into a viable long travel 29" fork. It's well worth the read, I think.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by D3DO
    I don't have the Ti version, but the cheaper Un-Ti version.
    I like it. I have it set on the 140mm of travel on my Behemoth. Not as stiff as the Modded Fox 36 I used to run, but that is not news. For the $$ ($380 or so) this has been a sweet fork. Lock-out works great. Downfall- travel adjust requires taking the fork apart and moving a spacer- yuck. I like it way better the Reba I had, somewhat better than the Manitou Minute I have, not as good as the modded Fox 36 (but also not as expensive).
    Did you have a 120mm Reba? I think this Marz at 140mm would be a sweet fork length for the Moth.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Working Man's Toilet
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    Did you have a 120mm Reba? I think this Marz at 140mm would be a sweet fork length for the Moth.
    Yep- too flexy for me (not the new 15mm TA either)- but I am a behemoth riding a behemoth- 6'6" 230. 140 definately floats the front end higher (compared to a modded Fox 36), negatively affecting my tech climbing- as the front wanders all over- BUT I am also running a 120mm stem with 10degree angle and am going to a 0degree to see if it will eleviate the problem. (not to mention the cardio-lac-vasculitis)

used to be RipRoar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie

To quote "Mr.P":

This is a modification to a Marzocchi 55 TST2 fork damper cartridge. This modification converts the lock-out to a low speed compression adjustment and adds a high-speed compression shim stack.

The cheaper 44 TST2 Air QR15 29" of course has the same TST2 damper as the 55 so I called Marzocchi Tech. and was informed that it was possible to do the same mod on the 29" fork. I really liked what he claimed the results to be and conceivably changes it into a viable long travel 29" fork. It's well worth the read, I think.

Ronnie.
    I just read That, thanks. I love that kind of stuff! Post your results if you do the mod..

R.I.P. DogFriend

To quote "Mr.P":

Ronnie.
    Definitely good news to have options should the 2010 TST2 unit prove unworthy. Maybe worth doing anyway. Thanks for posting that link.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RipRoar
    I just read That, thanks. I love that kind of stuff! Post your results if you do the mod..
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    Definitely good news to have options should the 2010 TST2 unit prove unworthy. Maybe worth doing anyway. Thanks for posting that link.
    If I decide to get the fork I'll definitely do the modification. I have no need for a lockout and the addition of adjustable low speed compression is a real plus.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    were do you find the tech paper on taking apart the fork and air pressure settings, i think my fork set at 120mm it looks short i wanna take out the spacer if its in there. what your measurement of the nickle plated stactions fully extended? im getting about 5 inches but i can see that when i pull up on the bars i get a little more...

mtbr member
    forget about my last post i put air in it for my weight and now its measuring 5.5 inches on the stanchions... sorry i had senior moment, thanks anyway! someone should still a tech paper on how to take her apart though...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Marzoochi hasn't been the same company for years now. Can't believe you guys are willing to pay the price of two forks to mod this one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thaphillips
    Marzoochi hasn't been the same company for years now. Can't believe you guys are willing to pay the price of two forks to mod this one.
    The mod. is not for the very expensive 44 Micro Ti. Rather it is for the 44 TST2 which is well priced at $389 and could be a great fork with the mod. fitted.

Ronnie.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    The mod. is not for the very expensive 44 Micro Ti. Rather it is for the 44 TST2 which is well priced at $389 and could be a great fork with the mod. fitted.

Ronnie.
    I know Marz bashing is kind of in vogue these days (and in some cases, deservedly so), but my 44 TST2 has actually been a damn fine fork for me without any mods.

i heart singletrack
    And previous experience... As a current Fox, Manitou and Maverick owner, I have very little need to add another fork to my stable until I'm convinced it'll be a good one. Thus far, I haven't conclusively been convinced it will.

Marzocchi has both distribution and marketing challenges, as I see it. They don't have credibility with me, nor are they available enough around here (midwestern US) for them to gain credibility.

It's a lose-lose for them... I'll never say never, but it'd take a demo fork magically arriving on my doorstep for me to give one a shot at this point. That's where I'm at with the Marzocchi.

Moderator Moderator
    I know Marz bashing is kind of in vogue these days (and in some cases, deservedly so), but my 44 TST2 has actually been a damn fine fork for me without any mods.
    Agreed, I've got a Marzocchi 44 Micro TST 140mm Tapered on my RIP9 and it's a tremendously stiff fork, that gets 140mm of travel. At least mine is! But I'm the type that will just pull it out of the box, play with air pressure until it feels good, and ride it. I'm not the type to play with all the knobs on the top to dial in compression this and that - or tune for different bump compliance, etc.. I've been riding it all summer and it still feels really really good to me. It fact I'm tearing sidewalls on tires about every other month now and I never used to tear sidewalls! I think this fork allows me to push the bike faster in the rough chunky which must be harder on the tires.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Marzocchi 44 Micro Ti QR15 29-rop92.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Bike looks good, but you're missing a watter bottle screw, and what's with the crazy long brake hose?
    This computer system is not intended for use in the operation of nuclear facilities. -Mac

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow
    Agreed, I've got a Marzocchi 44 Micro TST 140mm Tapered on my RIP9 and it's a tremendously stiff fork, that gets 140mm of travel. At least mine is! But I'm the type that will just pull it out of the box, play with air pressure until it feels good, and ride it. I'm not the type to play with all the knobs on the top to dial in compression this and that - or tune for different bump compliance, etc.. I've been riding it all summer and it still feels really really good to me. It fact I'm tearing sidewalls on tires about every other month now and I never used to tear sidewalls! I think this fork allows me to push the bike faster in the rough chunky which must be harder on the tires.
    Now that's a good recommendation! If you're pushing it harder than you were pushin' it before, that's a good product...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I have a Micro Ti TST tapered version and like it so far after a few rides. I've heard that some people think the small bump response is poor but I think that is with the TST2 version or a defective Micro Ti. I weigh 170 and am running 50psi with the damping full open so far.
    2 wheels

Cars Are Evil
    I'm interested in any updates any folks might have about these forks. Anything new?

If I modded a TST2 and lost the lockout, how bad would it bob when I stood and hammered? I'm considering this for my Simon Bar hardtail.

mtbr member
    i think its a great fork, been riding mine the past few days and she is plush, i dont know why people are saying she doesnt have small bump sensitivity, mine does... very plush, more than the rear on my wfo, and the wfo is plush....but im still messing with the settings though she has alot of them...oh and i agree with what was said about it being very very stiff... i think this fork is underated...ive had fox, lefty, and rock shock...

Cars Are Evil
    I think the comment about being stiff was a good thing, as in it doesn't flex.

Do you like it better than the Fox, Lefty and Reba?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Air pressure

I saw for over 200lbs the range is 45-60psi? Is this correct? I am 215lb, just put 60psi in the fork. Can it go higher if needed?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cphil
    I saw for over 200lbs the range is 45-60psi? Is this correct? I am 215lb, just put 60psi in the fork. Can it go higher if needed?
    It is just a guideline, to start from. Use the pressure that works for you, as long as you don't exceed the maximum limit.

Ronnie.

Underskilled
    Don't forget there are two good options for a long travel 29er fork.

White Brothers Fluid 135 and 150 and Manipoo Dorado.

I have had a year a piece on both the fluids and have the dorado sitting on my bike to be tested this weekend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    It is just a guideline, to start from. Use the pressure that works for you, as long as you don't exceed the maximum limit.

Ronnie.
    What is the maximum limit? Didn't see that.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by cphil
    I have been running 60-70psi in my TST2 model with no issues (I weigh 270lbs FWIW). Do you really feel like you need more pressure if you're 'only' 215lbs?

You also have the volume adjuster to play around with and can always dial in a little more 'progressivity' if need be.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Long time lurker, but donít usually have that much to add. Thatís not the case this time, so ďHelloĒ andÖ.

I've been running the Niner OEM Micro-Ti version on a WFO I built up over the winter, and also beg to differ on what seems to be a collectively negative opinion of the 44.

I'm a decent sized guy at 225ish geared up, and find that at pressures around 75psi the 44 is pretty sweet for me. Most of my weekday riding is in a few small but technical parks in W. NY, with plenty of steep/rocky/rooty trails, and on the weekends I can head south for legitimate AM/DH rides and shuttle runs. Though I've only been running the 44 for about a month, Iíve got about 20 riding days on it and here's what Iíve found:

1: Small bump compliance - adequate. While I'm not blown away by the small bump compliance, given that this is a 32mm fork targeted at an AM application in a huge bike, I didn't really expect to be. On the short, steep, and technical stuff I ride during the week, I think the fork does fine, and has comparable small bump compliance to to 80mm Fox F29 I run on my hardtail (I mostly run the 44 with the rebound in the midrange, and the TST compression wide open). So while I wouldn't describe the small bump compliance as gushingly plush, it's a long way from poor. Still, I could probably talk myself into some 2.5 weight oil when I have to rebuild it.

2: Medium hits - money. This thing does a great job on midsized hits/bumps, especially at speed. After a few initial slower rides through some steep local downhill sections that are about as much big root/small drop as they are dirt, I started to push the 44 through at speed and finished at the bottom with that "look what I just found" ecstatic grin on my face. I followed those up with some weekend trips to lap a longer sustained downhill area that runs through quite a bit of creek bed/rock garden, and took home the message that I was going to have to expand my perception of what I could get away with flying into on a 29er. I didn't even come close to using the fork to its potential, let alone overwhelming it. Especially at speed, the 44 ironed out pretty heavy chop fantastically.

3: Big Hits - jury out, but looking good. I've only hit 5-6 things over 3 feet so far, so I can't really offer a tremendously informed opinion at this point. What I have hit it's done well on, but I so massively overwhelm the RP23 on anything bigger than 2 feet that I'm going to wait until Iíve swapped to a coil before rendering an opinion.

4: Miscellaneous: Set up with the 15mm TA and I9s, this is a mindblowingly stiff fork. Stoked on that. Also, though Iíve read about the issues with some forks not returning to full travel at rest and people having to pull them to get all 140 mm of stanchion out, I don't have this problem. At 75psi, the fork returns to full travel, so no complaints there either.

Overall I think this is a pretty good fork for what it is and where in the developmental timeline of longer travel 29er forks it's been brought to market. You can argue about both the white brothers offerings and the dorado, but in reality the 44 represents the first long(er) travel 29er fork really brought to mass market, especially given the OEM link with the longest travel mass marketed 29er frame (Iím using "mass" pretty liberally here, and yes, I know all about the smaller boutique frame makers). As such, I wasn't expecting Talas 36 performance out of the box, and I'm pretty happy with the 44 as a stepping stone to more aggressive 29er parts.

I don't have enough time on this setup yet to really be pushing it, but by the end of this season I'm sure that the fork will be holding back a frame which clearly surpasses it. I also agree with many people that 36mm stanchions would be a superior choice, but I'm not surprised to see that the industry is reticent to jump into a purpose-built long-travel big-hit fork for a 29er right now. Until the AM/DH/FR crowd jumps on the bandwagon, pushing the 29er envelope into more intense riding is a financially risky endeavor. Though this is purely speculative, I would point to the WFO part pack availability as a litmus for the market having not quite caught up yet. But, if you look at the progress being made in the CC racing world, I think we'll get there. There are plenty of people (many/most of them on here) who are pushing 29ers into the FR/DH arena, and even if you aren't on board with the lenzealots etc., I think you have to appreciate that they're breaking ground into which bigger companies will be able to follow later, ultimately making it accessible to everyone else. So, while Iím perfectly happy with the 44 for now, Iíll also be stoked when something burlier comes along.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

ditto on good4nothing

"adequate / money / jury out, but looking good" is exactly what I would say too.

Been rocking this fork (via the WFO Party Pack) for a few months and it is doing well in terms of serving the purpose that I have for it: an acceptable stepping stone until a Fox 150mm 29er comes out. This is the purpose because I believe this bike is so much more capable than what 140mm + 70degree HTA is allowing. For the meantime, I am enjoying this fork and have no regrets with it.

relative to other forks in the quiver:
    - Lefty 140mm Max (aluminum) SPV (on a Prophet) is stiffer
    - Reba Race 29 100mm (on a Canzo) is not as good medium hits, but easier to pogo-up a wheelie/manual, so nicer for small-rock tech
    - Marz Marathon 29 80mm '04 (on a Monocog) is more fore-aft flexy and has more stiction... a sticky noodle that pogos when you climb with the compression too light -- the worst of all worlds. however, the Doppio 5 with lockout is cool and I still like it for that aspect -- turning the knob and having the front end raise at the top of a climb is old skool cool.
    - Marz Shiver 40 300mm (on a Quantya) is way more plush on medium and big hits. it is tough too - have powered through rock-gardens of 1-2ft each at 35mph with bike and rider weight of 425lbs being handled with cush and poise.

People, you can't just generalize all forks by a certain manufacturer as good or bad or worthy or unworthy...

Cars Are Evil
    How's the stiffness of the Marz Micro Ti compared to a Reba? I have an '06 Reba that flexes about in inch if I squeeze the front brake and push the bike forward/backward.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by good4nothing
    Long time lurker, but donít usually have that much to add. Thatís not the case this time, so ďHelloĒ andÖ.

I've been running the Niner OEM Micro-Ti version on a WFO I built up over the winter, and also beg to differ on what seems to be a collectively negative opinion of the 44.

I'm a decent sized guy at 225ish geared up, and find that at pressures around 75psi the 44 is pretty sweet for me. Most of my weekday riding is in a few small but technical parks in W. NY, with plenty of steep/rocky/rooty trails, and on the weekends I can head south for legitimate AM/DH rides and shuttle runs. Though I've only been running the 44 for about a month, Iíve got about 20 riding days on it and here's what Iíve found:

1: Small bump compliance - adequate. While I'm not blown away by the small bump compliance, given that this is a 32mm fork targeted at an AM application in a huge bike, I didn't really expect to be. On the short, steep, and technical stuff I ride during the week, I think the fork does fine, and has comparable small bump compliance to to 80mm Fox F29 I run on my hardtail (I mostly run the 44 with the rebound in the midrange, and the TST compression wide open). So while I wouldn't describe the small bump compliance as gushingly plush, it's a long way from poor. Still, I could probably talk myself into some 2.5 weight oil when I have to rebuild it.

2: Medium hits - money. This thing does a great job on midsized hits/bumps, especially at speed. After a few initial slower rides through some steep local downhill sections that are about as much big root/small drop as they are dirt, I started to push the 44 through at speed and finished at the bottom with that "look what I just found" ecstatic grin on my face. I followed those up with some weekend trips to lap a longer sustained downhill area that runs through quite a bit of creek bed/rock garden, and took home the message that I was going to have to expand my perception of what I could get away with flying into on a 29er. I didn't even come close to using the fork to its potential, let alone overwhelming it. Especially at speed, the 44 ironed out pretty heavy chop fantastically.

3: Big Hits - jury out, but looking good. I've only hit 5-6 things over 3 feet so far, so I can't really offer a tremendously informed opinion at this point. What I have hit it's done well on, but I so massively overwhelm the RP23 on anything bigger than 2 feet that I'm going to wait until Iíve swapped to a coil before rendering an opinion.

4: Miscellaneous: Set up with the 15mm TA and I9s, this is a mindblowingly stiff fork. Stoked on that. Also, though Iíve read about the issues with some forks not returning to full travel at rest and people having to pull them to get all 140 mm of stanchion out, I don't have this problem. At 75psi, the fork returns to full travel, so no complaints there either.

Overall I think this is a pretty good fork for what it is and where in the developmental timeline of longer travel 29er forks it's been brought to market. You can argue about both the white brothers offerings and the dorado, but in reality the 44 represents the first long(er) travel 29er fork really brought to mass market, especially given the OEM link with the longest travel mass marketed 29er frame (Iím using "mass" pretty liberally here, and yes, I know all about the smaller boutique frame makers). As such, I wasn't expecting Talas 36 performance out of the box, and I'm pretty happy with the 44 as a stepping stone to more aggressive 29er parts.

I don't have enough time on this setup yet to really be pushing it, but by the end of this season I'm sure that the fork will be holding back a frame which clearly surpasses it. I also agree with many people that 36mm stanchions would be a superior choice, but I'm not surprised to see that the industry is reticent to jump into a purpose-built long-travel big-hit fork for a 29er right now. Until the AM/DH/FR crowd jumps on the bandwagon, pushing the 29er envelope into more intense riding is a financially risky endeavor. Though this is purely speculative, I would point to the WFO part pack availability as a litmus for the market having not quite caught up yet. But, if you look at the progress being made in the CC racing world, I think we'll get there. There are plenty of people (many/most of them on here) who are pushing 29ers into the FR/DH arena, and even if you aren't on board with the lenzealots etc., I think you have to appreciate that they're breaking ground into which bigger companies will be able to follow later, ultimately making it accessible to everyone else. So, while Iím perfectly happy with the 44 for now, Iíll also be stoked when something burlier comes along.
    Good review, thanks for taking the time.
    I don't have enough time on mine to render a verdict other than medium hits are fine. Small bump compliance isn't there yet but I'm still messing with it.
    Me: 165lbs
    Fork: 50psi, set most of the way to progressive, damping full open
    2 wheels

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by artnshel
    Good review, thanks for taking the time.
    I don't have enough time on mine to render a verdict other than medium hits are fine. Small bump compliance isn't there yet but I'm still messing with it.
    Me: 165lbs
    Fork: 50psi, set most of the way to progressive, damping full open
    Are you getting full travel at 50 psi, or is there a few mm of stanchion you have to pull on the fork to get out?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    No, I'm not getting full travel.
    2 wheels

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    No, I'm not getting full travel.
    I mis-wrote on that one, I am getting full travel. But yes there is some static sag. The fork isn't fully extended at rest. If the small bump response was right and it wasn't using too much travel that alone wouldn't bother me.
    On second thought maybe static sag is from the vehicles weight?
    2 wheels

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Nope

I have been running 60-70psi in my TST2 model with no issues (I weigh 270lbs FWIW). Do you really feel like you need more pressure if you're 'only' 215lbs?

You also have the volume adjuster to play around with and can always dial in a little more 'progressivity' if need be.

Just thought I would ask. Making adjustments as I go.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I mis-wrote on that one, I am getting full travel. But yes there is some static sag. The fork isn't fully extended at rest. If the small bump response was right and it wasn't using too much travel that alone wouldn't bother me.
    On second thought maybe static sag is from the vehicles weight?
    Interesting.

After reading a bunch about the fork before pulling the trigger, this issue seemed to come up quite a bit, and almost always in the case of people who were both running sub-70ish psi pressures and having big issues with small bump compliance. I also noticed that when I was doing the initial build and hadn't put air in the fork, it didn't fully extend without me pulling on it. This was in a stand and without a wheel, so I'm pretty sure what you're seeing is not static sag from the bike weight. In my case, when I set up the sag initially I started around 90 psi and have worked down based on performance, but have always had the fork return to full extension when unloaded. I wonder if this may play a part in why it seems like most of the bigger guys running higher pressures don't seem to have as many small bump issues.

Have you tried running the fork at any higher pressures? (ignoring sag for a second)

Cars Are Evil
    Perhaps the negative spring is too strong for the lower air pressures? This fork uses a coil spring for the negative spring, correct? With no adjustment for it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermont29er
    Perhaps the negative spring is too strong for the lower air pressures? This fork uses a coil spring for the negative spring, correct? With no adjustment for it?
    Correct...a ti coil. I had the same thoughts as far as too strong a coil.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermont29er
    How's the stiffness of the Marz Micro Ti compared to a Reba? I have an '06 Reba that flexes about in inch if I squeeze the front brake and push the bike forward/backward.
    That's a tough question to answer since travel is different... for that matter, head tube sizes, angles, etc. can all affect an apples-to-apples comparison. All I can help with is that I can get the Marz Micro Ti 44 QR 15 29 to flex for and aft by just squeezing the front brake and leaning forward and backward while holding the handlebars, even on a L WFO with it's monstrosity head tube, but at a relatively steep 70degrees. I can do the same thing with a Reba Race 100mm on a Canzo 29 (non-tapered steerer) at 72 degrees.

Probably a useless answer, but oh well, gave it a shot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast