Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Marzocchi 44 Micro Ti QR15 29

Not too many reviews on this thing I can find....anyone have an update on their experience to date?

mtbr member
    I don't have the 'Ti version' but I think its works quite well and heavier than other brands but it simply works..so far anyway.

Living the Dream

I've been searching like crazy too.

I am supprised at how little information is out there. It makes me wonder if it is a dud. I had a 66RC3 that I loved and I was hoping that this 29er would be the perfect fit to my DW Sultan. I am hoping for some more 140mm options in 2010.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

29 some of the time...
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow
    I am supprised at how little information is out there. It makes me wonder if it is a dud.
    Might have something to do with the market size. Other that a handful of MTBR fanatics how many people rushed out to pick up long travel trail 29ers? They are cool and all, but like snow bikes I think that there just isn't a big demand. MTBby198 did some reviewing of the niner WFO equiped with one. Look him up for a first hand report. IIRC when I rode with him he was liking the fork.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    I think it has more to do with availability. I have been waiting for them to become available for months...as it stands, it looks like I should see mine in the next couple weeks.

Living the Dream

cool thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    I think it has more to do with availability. I have been waiting for them to become available for months...as it stands, it looks like I should see mine in the next couple weeks.

For some reason, I was thinking you already had one. How are things down south. I am too much of a pu$$ to ride today with 20 degree temps and 30-40mph wind gusts.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    For some reason, I was thinking you already had one. How are things down south. I am too much of a pu$$ to ride today with 20 degree temps and 30-40mph wind gusts.
    We're getting ready to head out for a ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Marzocchi 44 micro ti

We did a review on the Niner Bikes WFO9 at http://www.29eronline.com

We are reviewing the Marzocchi separately.

What we found initially is that it works good on medium to large size hits. It has been terrible on small bumps. This is especially true at speed.

I have recently taken apart the fork as per the recommendation of Marzocchi. I bought molycote O-ring lube for the bushings. I also switched to 2.5 weight oil to speed up the valving(also recommended by Marzocchi)

Initially I felt the rebound was to slow. I took video of it to check. I sent the video to Marzocchi. What I noticed was the rebound seemed o.k. But as it hit the top out point the rebound became very slow.

I also felt that the front end seemed low for a 140mm fork. With the fork off the bike I noticed it was sitting at about 120mm. I can hold the axle and crown and pull the fork legs open the rest of the way to 140mm but it will not come out on it's own.

So far it has been frustrating and disappointing. I have owned many Marzocchi forks in the past. I have also worked with the first Marzocchi 29er forks(not my favorite). I was hoping for the Marzocchi feel of the past. Big gushy plush suspension.

I am trying to give Marzocchi a chance to fix this fork before I do the final review and have not completely dismissed the Marzocchi 44 micro ti. But as of today it is giving me more problems then doing me good.

One other performance note. The nickel coated sliders are super sticky. I would like to try the cheaper black sliders.

The only plus I can come up with is that it is the stiffest 29er fork I have ridden.

For the record it is a tapered head tube 15mm axle version. I have ridden the Fox tapered steer tube with 15mm axle for comparison. The Rock Shox and Manitou I have are standard axle and steer tubes so the comparison to those models is unfair.

I photographed the build process and plan to to a tech article on rebuilding the fork if the rebuild helps. So far it is not as sticky(O-ring lube) but other then that I dont have much else to say yet. I will also get feed back from a couple of more testers before I say anything to conclusive.

I hope this helps.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by AL29er
    Might have something to do with the market size. Other that a handful of MTBR fanatics how many people rushed out to pick up long travel trail 29ers? They are cool and all, but like snow bikes I think that there just isn't a big demand.
    Much like the "All Travel" system used by RS, the two Marz 44 29" forks can be set to 140mm, 120mm or 100mm travel.

Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    Hmmm, I've seen them available for a few months. They do seem to be more widely available now. Looking forward to seeing how you like it.

Living the Dream

Thanks for the info and review.

Does anyone know if the cartridge sizes for 29 and 26 inch Marzocchi's are the same size? I would consider trying to get a 44RC3 cartidge aftermarket for the 29er 44 fork if it could be swapped out.

This brings up another point, why not offer the RC3 ti as an option. Not everyone on a
    29er wants a travel adjust air fork and this would solve the small bump issue.

Oh well, the pushed reba 120mm team I have is a damn good fork, I just want a buttery smooth marz coil front on my Sultan.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Does anyone know if the cartridge sizes for 29 and 26 inch Marzocchi's are the same size? I would consider trying to get a 44RC3 cartidge aftermarket for the 29er 44 fork if it could be swapped out.

This brings up another point, why not offer the RC3 ti as an option. Not everyone on a

Oh well, the pushed reba 120mm team I have is a damn good fork, I just want a buttery smooth marz coil front on my Sultan.
    I asked the guys at Marz about upgrading my 44 TST2 Air QR15 29 to an RC3 and was shown the difference in the lowers. The lowers are different for the RC3 model forks and since they don't have any 29er RC3 lowers for any forks, it apperars that an RC3 29er frankenfork isn't possible.

mtbr member

FWIW...a couple guys I know who have the micro ti have a VERY different point of view regarding small bump compliance.

banned
    Wow I almost bought one of these.

Working Man's Toilet
    I don't have the Ti version, but the cheaper Un-Ti version.
    I like it. I have it set on the 140mm of travel on my Behemoth. Not as stiff as the Modded Fox 36 I used to run, but that is not news. For the $$ ($380 or so) this has been a sweet fork. Lock-out works great. Downfall- travel adjust requires taking the fork apart and moving a spacer- yuck. I like it way better the Reba I had, somewhat better than the Manitou Minute I have, not as good as the modded Fox 36 (but also not as expensive).

mtbr member
    Some time ago there was a posting by "Mr.P" entitled:

Marzocchi 55 TST2 conversion to shim damping: step by step

To quote "Mr.P":

This is a modification to a Marzocchi 55 TST2 fork damper cartridge. This modification converts the lock-out to a low speed compression adjustment and adds a high-speed compression shim stack.

The cheaper 44 TST2 Air QR15 29" of course has the same TST2 damper as the 55 so I called Marzocchi Tech. and was informed that it was possible to do the same mod on the 29" fork. I really liked what he claimed the results to be and conceivably changes it into a viable long travel 29" fork. It's well worth the read, I think.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.