Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 94
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RipRoar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,358

    Marzocchi 44 Micro Ti QR15 29

    Not too many reviews on this thing I can find....anyone have an update on their experience to date?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: metelhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    385
    I don't have the 'Ti version' but I think its works quite well and heavier than other brands but it simply works..so far anyway.

  3. #3
    Living the Dream
    Reputation: Alpenglow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,562

    I've been searching like crazy too.

    I am supprised at how little information is out there. It makes me wonder if it is a dud. I had a 66RC3 that I loved and I was hoping that this 29er would be the perfect fit to my DW Sultan. I am hoping for some more 140mm options in 2010.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

  4. #4
    29 some of the time...
    Reputation: AL29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,945
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow
    I am supprised at how little information is out there. It makes me wonder if it is a dud.
    Might have something to do with the market size. Other that a handful of MTBR fanatics how many people rushed out to pick up long travel trail 29ers? They are cool and all, but like snow bikes I think that there just isn't a big demand. MTBby198 did some reviewing of the niner WFO equiped with one. Look him up for a first hand report. IIRC when I rode with him he was liking the fork.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jncarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,762
    I think it has more to do with availability. I have been waiting for them to become available for months...as it stands, it looks like I should see mine in the next couple weeks.


  6. #6
    Living the Dream
    Reputation: Alpenglow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,562

    cool thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    I think it has more to do with availability. I have been waiting for them to become available for months...as it stands, it looks like I should see mine in the next couple weeks.

    For some reason, I was thinking you already had one. How are things down south. I am too much of a pu$$ to ride today with 20 degree temps and 30-40mph wind gusts.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jncarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,762
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow
    For some reason, I was thinking you already had one. How are things down south. I am too much of a pu$$ to ride today with 20 degree temps and 30-40mph wind gusts.
    We're getting ready to head out for a ride


  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    81

    Marzocchi 44 micro ti

    We did a review on the Niner Bikes WFO9 at http://www.29eronline.com

    We are reviewing the Marzocchi separately.

    What we found initially is that it works good on medium to large size hits. It has been terrible on small bumps. This is especially true at speed.

    I have recently taken apart the fork as per the recommendation of Marzocchi. I bought molycote O-ring lube for the bushings. I also switched to 2.5 weight oil to speed up the valving(also recommended by Marzocchi)

    Initially I felt the rebound was to slow. I took video of it to check. I sent the video to Marzocchi. What I noticed was the rebound seemed o.k. But as it hit the top out point the rebound became very slow.

    I also felt that the front end seemed low for a 140mm fork. With the fork off the bike I noticed it was sitting at about 120mm. I can hold the axle and crown and pull the fork legs open the rest of the way to 140mm but it will not come out on it's own.

    So far it has been frustrating and disappointing. I have owned many Marzocchi forks in the past. I have also worked with the first Marzocchi 29er forks(not my favorite). I was hoping for the Marzocchi feel of the past. Big gushy plush suspension.

    I am trying to give Marzocchi a chance to fix this fork before I do the final review and have not completely dismissed the Marzocchi 44 micro ti. But as of today it is giving me more problems then doing me good.

    One other performance note. The nickel coated sliders are super sticky. I would like to try the cheaper black sliders.

    The only plus I can come up with is that it is the stiffest 29er fork I have ridden.

    For the record it is a tapered head tube 15mm axle version. I have ridden the Fox tapered steer tube with 15mm axle for comparison. The Rock Shox and Manitou I have are standard axle and steer tubes so the comparison to those models is unfair.

    I photographed the build process and plan to to a tech article on rebuilding the fork if the rebuild helps. So far it is not as sticky(O-ring lube) but other then that I dont have much else to say yet. I will also get feed back from a couple of more testers before I say anything to conclusive.

    I hope this helps.

  9. #9
    R.I.P. DogFriend
    Reputation: jeffj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,909
    Quote Originally Posted by AL29er
    Might have something to do with the market size. Other that a handful of MTBR fanatics how many people rushed out to pick up long travel trail 29ers? They are cool and all, but like snow bikes I think that there just isn't a big demand.
    Much like the "All Travel" system used by RS, the two Marz 44 29" forks can be set to 140mm, 120mm or 100mm travel.

    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    I think it has more to do with availability. I have been waiting for them to become available for months...as it stands, it looks like I should see mine in the next couple weeks.
    Hmmm, I've seen them available for a few months. They do seem to be more widely available now. Looking forward to seeing how you like it.

  10. #10
    Living the Dream
    Reputation: Alpenglow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,562

    Thanks for the info and review.

    Does anyone know if the cartridge sizes for 29 and 26 inch Marzocchi's are the same size? I would consider trying to get a 44RC3 cartidge aftermarket for the 29er 44 fork if it could be swapped out.

    This brings up another point, why not offer the RC3 ti as an option. Not everyone on a
    29er wants a travel adjust air fork and this would solve the small bump issue.

    Oh well, the pushed reba 120mm team I have is a damn good fork, I just want a buttery smooth marz coil front on my Sultan.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

  11. #11
    R.I.P. DogFriend
    Reputation: jeffj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,909
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow
    Does anyone know if the cartridge sizes for 29 and 26 inch Marzocchi's are the same size? I would consider trying to get a 44RC3 cartidge aftermarket for the 29er 44 fork if it could be swapped out.

    This brings up another point, why not offer the RC3 ti as an option. Not everyone on a
    29er wants a travel adjust air fork and this would solve the small bump issue.

    Oh well, the pushed reba 120mm team I have is a damn good fork, I just want a buttery smooth marz coil front on my Sultan.
    I asked the guys at Marz about upgrading my 44 TST2 Air QR15 29 to an RC3 and was shown the difference in the lowers. The lowers are different for the RC3 model forks and since they don't have any 29er RC3 lowers for any forks, it apperars that an RC3 29er frankenfork isn't possible.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jncarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,762
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow
    Does anyone know if the cartridge sizes for 29 and 26 inch Marzocchi's are the same size? I would consider trying to get a 44RC3 cartidge aftermarket for the 29er 44 fork if it could be swapped out.

    This brings up another point, why not offer the RC3 ti as an option. Not everyone on a
    29er wants a travel adjust air fork and this would solve the small bump issue.

    Oh well, the pushed reba 120mm team I have is a damn good fork, I just want a buttery smooth marz coil front on my Sultan.
    FWIW...a couple guys I know who have the micro ti have a VERY different point of view regarding small bump compliance.


  13. #13
    banned
    Reputation: motobutane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,231
    Wow I almost bought one of these.

  14. #14
    Working Man's Toilet
    Reputation: D3DO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    834
    I don't have the Ti version, but the cheaper Un-Ti version.
    I like it. I have it set on the 140mm of travel on my Behemoth. Not as stiff as the Modded Fox 36 I used to run, but that is not news. For the $$ ($380 or so) this has been a sweet fork. Lock-out works great. Downfall- travel adjust requires taking the fork apart and moving a spacer- yuck. I like it way better the Reba I had, somewhat better than the Manitou Minute I have, not as good as the modded Fox 36 (but also not as expensive).

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ronnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,063
    Some time ago there was a posting by "Mr.P" entitled:

    Marzocchi 55 TST2 conversion to shim damping: step by step

    To quote "Mr.P":

    This is a modification to a Marzocchi 55 TST2 fork damper cartridge. This modification converts the lock-out to a low speed compression adjustment and adds a high-speed compression shim stack.

    The cheaper 44 TST2 Air QR15 29" of course has the same TST2 damper as the 55 so I called Marzocchi Tech. and was informed that it was possible to do the same mod on the 29" fork. I really liked what he claimed the results to be and conceivably changes it into a viable long travel 29" fork. It's well worth the read, I think.

    Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

  16. #16
    Powered by ice cream.
    Reputation: Enel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,270
    Quote Originally Posted by D3DO
    I don't have the Ti version, but the cheaper Un-Ti version.
    I like it. I have it set on the 140mm of travel on my Behemoth. Not as stiff as the Modded Fox 36 I used to run, but that is not news. For the $$ ($380 or so) this has been a sweet fork. Lock-out works great. Downfall- travel adjust requires taking the fork apart and moving a spacer- yuck. I like it way better the Reba I had, somewhat better than the Manitou Minute I have, not as good as the modded Fox 36 (but also not as expensive).
    Did you have a 120mm Reba? I think this Marz at 140mm would be a sweet fork length for the Moth.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

  17. #17
    Working Man's Toilet
    Reputation: D3DO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    834
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    Did you have a 120mm Reba? I think this Marz at 140mm would be a sweet fork length for the Moth.
    Yep- too flexy for me (not the new 15mm TA either)- but I am a behemoth riding a behemoth- 6'6" 230. 140 definately floats the front end higher (compared to a modded Fox 36), negatively affecting my tech climbing- as the front wanders all over- BUT I am also running a 120mm stem with 10degree angle and am going to a 0degree to see if it will eleviate the problem. (not to mention the cardio-lac-vasculitis)

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RipRoar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,358
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie
    Some time ago there was a posting by "Mr.P" entitled:

    Marzocchi 55 TST2 conversion to shim damping: step by step

    To quote "Mr.P":

    This is a modification to a Marzocchi 55 TST2 fork damper cartridge. This modification converts the lock-out to a low speed compression adjustment and adds a high-speed compression shim stack.

    The cheaper 44 TST2 Air QR15 29" of course has the same TST2 damper as the 55 so I called Marzocchi Tech. and was informed that it was possible to do the same mod on the 29" fork. I really liked what he claimed the results to be and conceivably changes it into a viable long travel 29" fork. It's well worth the read, I think.

    Ronnie.
    I just read That, thanks. I love that kind of stuff! Post your results if you do the mod..

  19. #19
    R.I.P. DogFriend
    Reputation: jeffj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,909
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie
    Some time ago there was a posting by "Mr.P" entitled:

    Marzocchi 55 TST2 conversion to shim damping: step by step

    To quote "Mr.P":

    This is a modification to a Marzocchi 55 TST2 fork damper cartridge. This modification converts the lock-out to a low speed compression adjustment and adds a high-speed compression shim stack.

    The cheaper 44 TST2 Air QR15 29" of course has the same TST2 damper as the 55 so I called Marzocchi Tech. and was informed that it was possible to do the same mod on the 29" fork. I really liked what he claimed the results to be and conceivably changes it into a viable long travel 29" fork. It's well worth the read, I think.

    Ronnie.
    Definitely good news to have options should the 2010 TST2 unit prove unworthy. Maybe worth doing anyway. Thanks for posting that link.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ronnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,063
    Quote Originally Posted by RipRoar
    I just read That, thanks. I love that kind of stuff! Post your results if you do the mod..
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    Definitely good news to have options should the 2010 TST2 unit prove unworthy. Maybe worth doing anyway. Thanks for posting that link.
    If I decide to get the fork I'll definitely do the modification. I have no need for a lockout and the addition of adjustable low speed compression is a real plus.

    Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: david8613's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,702
    were do you find the tech paper on taking apart the fork and air pressure settings, i think my fork set at 120mm it looks short i wanna take out the spacer if its in there. what your measurement of the nickle plated stactions fully extended? im getting about 5 inches but i can see that when i pull up on the bars i get a little more...

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: david8613's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,702
    forget about my last post i put air in it for my weight and now its measuring 5.5 inches on the stanchions... sorry i had senior moment, thanks anyway! someone should still a tech paper on how to take her apart though...

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    244
    Marzoochi hasn't been the same company for years now. Can't believe you guys are willing to pay the price of two forks to mod this one.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ronnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,063
    Quote Originally Posted by thaphillips
    Marzoochi hasn't been the same company for years now. Can't believe you guys are willing to pay the price of two forks to mod this one.
    The mod. is not for the very expensive 44 Micro Ti. Rather it is for the 44 TST2 which is well priced at $389 and could be a great fork with the mod. fitted.

    Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

  25. #25
    R.I.P. DogFriend
    Reputation: jeffj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,909
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie
    The mod. is not for the very expensive 44 Micro Ti. Rather it is for the 44 TST2 which is well priced at $389 and could be a great fork with the mod. fitted.

    Ronnie.
    I know Marz bashing is kind of in vogue these days (and in some cases, deservedly so), but my 44 TST2 has actually been a damn fine fork for me without any mods.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •