mtbr member

Manitou Tower Pro vs Rox Reba Dual RL

Looking for advice on the above two forks. The 2012 Tower Pro 29 is about the same price as the 2011 Reba Dual Air 29 and both the 100mm, 9mm axle versions. I'm leaning towards the Reba as I hear nothing but great things about Dual Air, but the Tower is also a fork to be reckoned with. Perhaps there's not even very much between them!

As for me, I'm no Clydesdale at 170 lbs and I ride mostly trail, with some rocks occasionally.

This will be for a Niner EMD small frame. Hopefully some have owned both and can give me a good comparison.

Thanks in advance!
    Current Stable: 2011 Niner EMD, 2011 Vassago Jabba

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm not sure you can go wrong with either. I've read nothing but good things about the Tower. Same for the Reba.

I personally loved my Reba for the first 6 months I had it. Since then, I've been battling lots of oil/air migration issues on the air side of the fork. It's not hard finding others with the same issue, but I think overall it's a pretty small percentage of the total population.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I've had my Reba RL 9mm fork for a few month, no problems as of yet and ride pretty hard on it. I'm 190lbs @ 6ft it seems to have no problem holding air.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I do like Manitou products but 235lbs and 2 years on my Reba SL and it's been flawless.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Hmmm. Currently running a Tower Pro on my Canfield. Very nice, extremely tuneable fork. Had a variety of Rebas previously, including a dual-air on the SS I just sold.

Frankly, I've never been able to dial in the dual-air RS forks to my particular liking. I've had much greater success with the solo air models. Between your two choices, I'd take the Manitou.

Short-Change-Hero
    I am biased but my vote goes for the Manitou. Before I bought mine I had looked hard at the Reba, on a recommendation from here and a mtb builder/racer friend of my brothers I found a good deal on the '11 Manitou Tower Pro. Takes some time to tune it but what good fork doesn't. However once you tune it, you can use the compression dial to adjust for the terrain and then it is truly a set and forget fork. Last race I did, I lowered my PSI a bit (running FIRM spring) and once I realized what the course was like I backed off the compression a couple clicks and then realized I never thought about the fork again until the end of the race as I was loading it back onto the car and noticed a new scratch in the tower.

Either way, you won't be disappointed with either fork.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member

Reba PushLoc Compatability?

Thanks for all of the responses, guys.

I'm leaning towards the Reba:

BlueSkyCycling.com - 2012 Rock Shox Reba RL Dual Air 29er Fork

mainly because I like the idea of a remote lockout on the bars, but will the remote below work with the fork above?

BlueSkyCycling.com - Rock Shox PushLoc Remote Lever

I can't see for sure if they'll work with eachother.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Nope. You'll have to buy a Pushloc damper as well. I'd also do some research on the Pushloc. I seem to recall it having some pretty negative reviews due to locking up once dirty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner_Boy View Post
    Thanks for all of the responses, guys.

I'm leaning towards the Reba:

BlueSkyCycling.com - 2012 Rock Shox Reba RL Dual Air 29er Fork

mainly because I like the idea of a remote lockout on the bars, but will the remote below work with the fork above?

BlueSkyCycling.com - Rock Shox PushLoc Remote Lever

I can't see for sure if they'll work with eachother.
    merlin cycles

This UK shop has some good prices on forks. Usually cheaper to buy the fork and remote together rather than buy each separately.

Some of the forks from Merlin are OE (no seal kit or pump) there description doesn't always mention this.

I just brought a fork with a remote lockout. In hind site I wish I hadn't. The lever is just more stuff on your bars. I lock and unlock forks rarely.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Managed to get a 2012 Reba RL Dual Air 29 from BlueSkyCycling rather than the 2011 version. Looking forward to getting and tweaking it!