mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Manitou Tower expert to Pro ?

I currently have a Tower Expert and think the fork performs perfectly - 20mm lowers from an older Drake. I will build a second 29er but have read conflicting info. concerning the MARS air spring and running the proper coil. I weigh 200lb and would probably run a firm spring but wonder if even sprung correctly do they blow thru the travel quickly ? still exhibit brake dive ? lose compliance if the air pressure isn't spot on ? Anyone try both back to back ? Thanks.

Bite Me.
    You will definitely want the heavier spring, although I think the 2012s now come with the firm spring kit standard. As for the other issues, you do need to set it up a little more carefully. You can add 5cc of oil to the air spring side to make it more progressive and also tune the air pressure as well to add a little more firmness without really compromising small hit compliance. Finally you have the compression dial tuning and the ability to modify the shim stack. It's almost too much now, but with a modest amount of tuning you can get the MARS set up exactly how you want it. I just tweak the PSI and dial up the compression a bit and it's good to go. For my money, I'll take a highly tune-able fork any day. Manitou CS can and will help you out on all of the questions - you can even talk to a real human being there.

This is a good link for some tuning tips - The Engineer Speaks: 2012 Manitou Tower Pro
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I am looking to make the same move later in the year, and from the research I have done, you should have no problems dialiing in the fork at your weight. I think it's guys like me at 265# that give the fork a hard time.