mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Manitou Tower Expert Fork

a little heavy, but its a good feeling fork... for $200... buy it.

EDIT: How the hell is my post on the top here? This isn't my thread.
    Last edited by h2otaco; 02-27-2012 at 08:13 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2009

Manitou Tower Expert Fork

On sale shipped for $200.

I've never owned a quality fork before and want to know if is the best I can do for $200..

I would buy used but at the moment there is nothing in that price range. (Reba etc)

I want something that will last and that I won't outgrow or want to sell in the near future....

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The Manitou Tower Pro can be had for $250.

I don't know what would be better but that seems like a good price.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dja4260 View Post
    The Manitou Tower Pro can be had for $250.

I don't know what would be better but that seems like a good price.
    A fair bit lighter, and different internals. My experience with the forks says to spring for the extra 50 bucks. I have two tower pros, and like them a lot. Even over my Reba Race.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Where are you finding them on sale? I saw them on jenson not to long ago but the sale ended.

mtbr member
    May 2009

mtbr member
    May 2009
    the pro has 80mm of travel vs 100mm for the expert.

Anything to worry about?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Anything to worry about?
    I would match what you currently have.

I have an 80mm on my single speed, and a 100mm on my full suspension.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    currently on a rigid, redline d440.

I think I'm going with the pro for $250 and hope that it lasts....

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    currently on a rigid, redline d440.

I think I'm going with the pro for $250 and hope that it lasts....
    Since you are rigid, I would go 80mm, it will keep the geometry the closest to what you have now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    My rigid haro was converted to 80mm Pro fork. Going strong for 1 year now, really love the fork, no manitenance, stiff and very smooth. 80mm is more than enough since all travel is used.

Really like the compresion damper.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Anything to worry about?
    You can get the Expert and the pro in 80, 100, and 120. As was said above, the pro, if you can afford it is worth it. It's lighter and has an upgraded air spring.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by h2otaco View Post
    You can get the Expert and the pro in 80, 100, and 120. As was said above, the pro, if you can afford it is worth it. It's lighter and has an upgraded air spring.
    I think he was referring to what Chain Reaction was selling, and not what Manitou makes.

If you want to add to the list, a 140mm travel option is being added to the PRO line.

mtbr member
    I ride a pro and am very happy with it. I would probably be happy with most forks but at 250 I would be happier.

Short-Change-Hero
    Another vote for the Pro. Switched my 100mm to the Firm spring and absolutely love this thing. Buttery smooth, compliant, reactive, and eats up everything without and sticktion.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Expert is easy to switch fro 100 to 80 and back. Pro is 1/2 pound lighter. Same damper, different air spring and metal spring. Expert you can run no air at all if you are ~150 to 170 lbs. Pro runs quite a bit more air since the spring on it is tiny. I have the expert, it is super easy to work on and super plush. Your figuring on the pound to dollar is off a bit; an expert will cost $240 US not 200.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Use coupon/eVoucher code TEN$ to get 10% off the order. I just did.

Total came to just a few pennies over $200

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I would say its a killer deal, as I am a super clyde who loves his Tower Expert. I am just waiting for the 15mm TA to come out for the Pro to I can build my Frankenfork.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I couldn't pass up the Tower Expert deal on chainreactioncycles either. $223 before the 10% off coupon code that is advertised right up front on their website. Like was said, $200 and some pennies after. Free shipping too. Too good to pass up IMHO if you need a new fork or want to upgrade an entry level fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBen View Post
    I couldn't pass up the Tower Expert deal on chainreactioncycles either. $223 before the 10% off coupon code that is advertised right up front on their website. Like was said, $200 and some pennies after. Free shipping too. Too good to pass up IMHO if you need a new fork or want to upgrade an entry level fork.
    So how is everyone liking their tower experts? I am thinking of getting a bike that has one, but am caught up on it being basically coil fork vs most other higher end stuff being full air forks. What exactly is the air portion of the tower expert doing?

The other bikes I am considering have a Reba solo air and recon silver solo air. How would these compare to the tower expert?

New to mtbing. Forgive any ignorance!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I don't know about the Tower Expert but I have the Tower Pro and it is great. Sorry I can't compare it to a Reba or Recon as I haven't ridden with those. The Tower Pro is lightweight, super smooth travel, very user friendly and easily adjustable for dampening and rebound. I got mine off ebay for $399, no tax, and free shipping.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The air portion stiffens up the ride if you want more preload.

I'm 180 lbs and run no air at all because I want a fair bit of sag. I have the travel set at 100 mm on a frame designed for 80 mm. I could bump the travel down easily enough to 80 mm by flipping the spacer but like the Cadillac smooth ride instead.

If I was running air it wouldn't be more than 10 psi or so. The stock spring is perfect for my weight.

From what I've read here, the Tower Expert easily holds its own against the Reba and Recon.

It's super easy to work on (I had mine apart in the 1st week just to check oil levels in the lowers) and there's no/little need to screw around with air.

As for adding air, I just used my mini-pump. A couple of strokes is all the fork needs because the psi is so low.

Drew
    occasional cyclist