Thread: Mallet DH

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Mallet DH

I'm currently using a Xt trail pedal, when I hit big rocks most of the time my foot unclipped from the pedals, I find it very annoying and slows me down. Even though I increased the tension and put new cleats same problem occurred.

So now im thinking to get a mallet DH, what are you thoughts about this pedal and how durable and reliable is this?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have been using Crank Candies for several years and found them better than XT for exit, float, and support. Just bought a set of Mallets for more foot support and find them similar to the Candies but alot more peddel under foot. In 4 years I have bent 1 wing which is easily replaced. Recently I tried some XT's and almost no float and too early a release when leaning the bike so back to Mallets for me.

turtles make me hot
    I ride with Mallets and love them. It started for me because they're damn near impossible to clog with mud, ice or snow.
    I have come unclipped when hitting a rock but the pros outweigh the cons for me.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Hmmm, I personally don't have that problem, but possibly because I prefer "downhill" clipless pedals for their bigger more stable platform with the combination of a stickier rubber sole shoe, even for "cross country" or should I say general trail riding. Unless you're a weight wussie forget about the extra few grams some cry about and enjoy being able to practically forget about what's under your feet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by masterofnone View Post
    Hmmm, I personally don't have that problem, but possibly because I prefer "downhill" clipless pedals for their bigger more stable platform with the combination of a stickier rubber sole shoe, even for "cross country" or should I say general trail riding. Unless you're a weight wussie forget about the extra few grams some cry about and enjoy being able to practically forget about what's under your feet.
    I find clipless pedals more efficient during climbing and sprinting than flat pedals.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Do you find it difficult to clip in/out with mallet dh than xt trail?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I haven't ridden the XT trail pedal just the regular XT pedal. I found the XT too easy to clip out especially on tech. trails where I am using body lean to balance on the bike, especially using a dropper post which allows you angle the bike more which is a good thing. I find the foot freedom of the Candy or Mallet easy to deal with.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Okay I've been using the mallet dh for nearly 5 weeks now, I noticed that the spring that holds the cleats and spike easily corroded after using it several days in wet condition.

I emailed crank brow about this and their response "our pedals could easily corroded if using in wet condition" ftw, this corrosion doesn't happens with my xt trail pedals.

I am not happy with the cleat as well, after using it for 5 weeks it noticed it easily worn out compared to shimano cleats..

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Mallet DH

Might try Times pedals too.