lurker
    Jun 2015

Maintenance time - tires, rotor, pads and suspension maintenance

That's my first post on this forum, so hello everyone.

Unfortunately I have to start by asking for help. I own CUBE LTD pro 29 2012. Specification is available here, and it's about time to give it a bit of love. First of all I need to change stock rotor and brake pads. I already chose Hayes L7 and vesrah BP-016 pads, so please tell me, if I chose wrongly I am also considering bleeding the brakes. Not sure if I need it, tough. Handle response is fine, but when I turn the bike upside down, and back, I need to squeeze the handle couple times, to get rid of the slack movement. That's the only thing that bothers me. Would you recommend bleeding it? If so, what should I look for, when searching for brake fluid for shimano M445?

Also I plan to open and clean the fork on my own. This bike came with RS reba 29. That's my first time to do it. Normally I would just give it to a technician, but I currently live in Japan, and prices are pretty sick here, when it comes to this kind of stuff. What I want to ask is what should I buy, before opening the fork. I guess some seals may need replacement, but should I buy a whole set? It's like 50-70$ and I would like to avoid it. Those sets that I am talking about can be seen at japanese Amazon. Or maybe I need less than that? What else, except of seals, should I prepare? I guess I also need dumping oil, or something like that? Any other liquids?

And finally I guess I need to change the tires. Please, correct me if I'm wrong, and they got some life left

So what tires would you recommend for my setup? I think the previous ones were too wide for my needs. I rarely loose grip and usually I'm riding in the city. Just a lot of bumps, hills and slopes, like in whole Japan, but the 99% I ride on the roads. I rarely do some terrain. Should I stick with another pair of those (shwalbe rapid rob) or change for something thinner, to save some energy? Not sure how much tires cost, coz never bought any, but reasonably priced, please. As you can see, I'm not a racer or anything like that

Sorry for the long post. I appreciate any help.

mtbr member
    I can only answer about self-service forks. I bought a bicycle and also was puzzled by many questions, including fork maintenance. All that is required for this i learned from the official instruction, on the official website of the shock manufacturer. There is a detailed instruction.
    Before i realized how to do this, my brain was blown up repeatedly . After i realized what to do, i started looking for all the necessary tools, oil and grease to carry out maintenance, at this stage my brain exploded a second time. But now i understand and know what to do. I can wish you only good luck .
    You will need a lot of wrench, or one wrench with interchangeable heads for different diameter nuts. Firstly.
    Also in my instructions it was said, that for the unscrewing of some parts, a gas burner is required because these nodes are closed with a special threadlocking adhesive that prevents the nut from opening. Accordingly, to re-tighten this nut again, it is necessary to buy this threadlocking (in my case it is Loctite 262). Then, all the nuts must be tightened with a certain force measured in the Nm or In-lb. To do this, you need a torque wrench, and heads for your nuts.
    I realized that to perform a full maintenance of the plug or shock, a huge amount of different tools is required. But with a strong desire, you will be able to find it.

Merendon Junkie
    Regarding your fork, Rebas are extremely simple to maintain. If your fork is not losing air, and the damper is working properly, I would recommend you only do a lowers service. Everything you will require for this are common household tools and materials.

You will need:
    - 5mm allen cube
    - ratchet wrench
    - 5mm allen key
    - Ratchet extender
    - Rubber hammer (wooden plank should work)
    - Torque wrench (recommended)
    - Syringe
    - alcohol (cleaning agent)
    - Fork Oil, fully synthetic. (Auto oil is ok for this as long as its 100% synthetic).

You can find the detailed step by step instructions to do this on the rockshox website and in official rock shox videos on youtube. The official instructions will tell you to replace the two washers on the lower allen bolts, the foam rings and the dust wipers, but I have reused these several times with no issues. I clean the foam rings in soapy water and reuse them a couple of times before tossing them.

Cheers,
    Abel