mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Magura TS 8 29er Fork

Interested in feedback from anyone who has ridden the new Magura forks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Me too

mtbr member
    Not sure if you have seen these:
    Pink Bike
    twentynineinches.com

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Spent a few hours on one yesterday...waddaya' wanna' know?
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    mtroy. Your thoughts on how it compares to a Fox or a Sid. Does it ride high in the travel as described by the initial testing? How was the low speed compression damping? I'm hoping for little to no "monkey motion" while cranking hard on the pedals.

Race Promoter - St Fattys
    Great compression profile. Simple. Light. Easy. Awesome fork.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dambala View Post
    mtroy. Your thoughts on how it compares to a Fox or a Sid. Does it ride high in the travel as described by the initial testing? How was the low speed compression damping? I'm hoping for little to no "monkey motion" while cranking hard on the pedals.
    It does tend to ride high in the travel...assuming pressure is correct, etc. Low speed damping feels aggressive to me. It has little monkey motion when unlocked and out of the saddle. Now, I do not have the adjustable compression damper, just the DLO2, so pretty much off and on. I would think it would make a good fork for SS use, where you tend to stand a lot.

I am not as happy with the overall response to sharp hits though. Kinda harsh for a 120mm fork. Still hoping for better results but not sure yet.

Very light and quite stiff. Look for an update soon on TNI.com. c_g and I will be co-posting.
    Blog Ramblings

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    looking to pick one up soon.
    Can anyone provide input on the DLO lock-out feel. I think it locks the fork in the compressed position, not extended...?

Does the 29er 100mm TS8 R come in color black? No online vendors seem to have it, yet on Magura site there are some photos.

Here's TNI recent review sited above: Magura TS8R 120mm 29"er Fork: Mid-Term

thnks
    Selma Ti.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by adinpapa View Post
    looking to pick one up soon.
    Can anyone provide input on the DLO lock-out feel. I think it locks the fork in the compressed position, not extended...?

Does the 29er 100mm TS8 R come in color black? No online vendors seem to have it, yet on Magura site there are some photos.

Here's TNI recent review sited above: Magura TS8R 120mm 29"er Fork: Mid-Term

thnks
    No, it locks in the extended position, but the fork will slowly compress if you weight it.
    Blog Ramblings

Bicycle Addict
    I have one on order. Any long term reviews? Is it true that you can't use a 160 mm rotor?
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Magura TS 8 29er Fork

No, can't use a 160 rotor. The fork is awesome and the 2014 model looks to have been improved. Take your time to learn to service- it's easy. I changed mine from 100mm to 80 and like it even more.
    Selma Ti.

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by adinpapa View Post
    No, can't use a 160 rotor. The fork is awesome and the 2014 model looks to have been improved. Take your time to learn to service- it's easy. I changed mine from 100mm to 80 and like it even more.
    Thanks for the reply. I wonder why they didn't make it 160 rotor compatible, especially for an XC fork. Anyway, I went with the TS8 R in black. I might change it to 80mm on my SS. Looking forward to riding it.
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Magura TS 8 29er Fork

Not much written on the TS8 so post your experience. I've got a spare RCL2 lockout switch for the R if you need it.
    Selma Ti.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Been looking at this fork in a 100mm on a carbon beargrease for summer 29er use. what is the fattest tire size that fits ? would love to run a 2.35 to 2.40. I have been a rigid rider for years and this fork looks great. thinking the SL model. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by demondan View Post
    Been looking at this fork in a 100mm on a carbon beargrease for summer 29er use. what is the fattest tire size that fits ? would love to run a 2.35 to 2.40. I have been a rigid rider for years and this fork looks great. thinking the SL model. Thanks.
    FYI, I have run a 2.35 with my TS8 SL fork with no clearance issues.

Bicycle Addict
    First ride impressions: My fork arrived today. Went in to the shop, had it installed, pumped it up to the right air pressure and hit the trail. The very first thing that came to mind 5 seconds into my ride was "WOW! This must be what the designers and engineers had in mind when they were thinking up the very first suspension fork". I've ridden anything from a Reba, to a SID XX, to a DT Swiss XMM, and I can honestly say this is the best fork I've ever ridden. The first thing I noticed was how it felt like I was still riding a rigid fork, but with suspension on the bottom. The crown and steerer are super stiff but not harsh. The suspension is very responsive and plush. Also, I noticed how efficient it felt compared to other forks. It always seemed to travel the right amount, never too much, but never not enough. I only had time for a 45 minute ride today, but so far I'm liking it very much.
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    j3sseb, Thanks for the report. What model did you get? what size and model tires you running? Dambala, What 2.35 tire did you fit in your fork? This fork sound great! would love to hear more reports?

Bicycle Addict
    Magura TS 8 29er Fork-20140321_194537_zpsb21ce3f5.jpg
    It's the TS8 R 100mm, and my tires are Continental Trail King 2.2 and X-King 2.2.
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Magura TS 8 29er Fork

Update review on '14 TS8 SL 100mm .
    I am really enjoying this fork this season. My confidence in its performance is increasing and as a result I am getting faster. I have it set up at 80mm on my singlespeed. I have it like this for reduced front end height and for climbing. As jesseb states above, it is very responsive and efficient- it really does seem to only move when it needs to . After 4 wet technical races in a row (won all 4 I noticed it to have stiffened up a bit. I performed a minor service of removing lowers, and cleaning/regreasing bushings with the specified Meister grease and it feels like new again. This weekend it will take me through a 50mile race in PA, the Stoopid 50.

I have found the rebound knob is ver sensitive. It is worth playing with different clicks and adjusting for different terrain mad riding styles. I usually set mine to 7 clicks and air at about 55psi. (165lbs)

Aside from fully trusting the performance and action of the suspension, I really appreciate The simplicity of the internals and stellar customer service from Magura.

5 out of 5

Action shot
    Magura TS 8 29er Fork-10398080_10152459357949127_4180108446952474058_n.jpg
    Selma Ti.

stillanoob
    Dec 2011
    I been using the TS8 120mm on my Trans Am for about three months now, and I'm very impressed with the fork.
    I like the simpleness of it.
    I ran the fork to the suggested air pressure and never got to full travel and felt really harsh. After you get the air pressure right, get ready for pure bliss. The fork is plenty stiff, and never had any issues with the m15 axle and the tool popping out.
    I'm running a 2.35 Hans Dampf with a Flow rim and clearance is a not an issue.
    My only problem is that on the left fork seal, I've been seeing wet dust collect right at the bottom of the seal, and I'm not sure if that's an issue or not.

Magura TS 8 29er Fork-983589_10201399511902124_542004257_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Ive been running rigid for years, but this fork has me intrigued. Wish you could use a 160mm rotor with it though, hate it forces you into a 180.