Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Love'm - Hate'm Reynolds 29er Carbon Wheelset

I experiencing a love - hate relationship with my Reynolds 29er wheel set. They are light, durable and very easy to set up tubeless but their customer service leaves an awful lot to be desired. I've been patiently waiting for nearly 6 weeks on a replacement rear spoke. Yeah- 5 weeks and 4 days. Incredible. I initially had my LBS order a replacement spoke for one that broke on my first ride . No sticks, no rocks, no hucking off of loading docks. Nothing more than a benign ride on a local rail trail. Really. Spoke pulled right out of the nipple. I figured no big deal. Wrong. Reynolds sent out 2 replacement spokes right away. Unfortunately they sent the wrong size. So my shop called Reynolds and Reynolds agreed to expedite the shipping on the correct spokes. The new replacement spokes arrived and not only did they send out a complete set of spokes but they sent out complete set of wrong sized spokes. Arrghhh. That burned about 2 weeks of time. The shop called Reynolds once again and after some wrangling Reynolds agreed to repair the wheel in house. The wheel was shipped back 2 weeks and 4 days ago via 2 day shipping and I'm still without a rear wheel.
    Just for the record the wheels were brand new and I am the original owner. The came as OEM equipment on a Scalpel 29er.
    Buyer Beware

mtbr member

Too bad to hear about your experience. I would be pulling my hair out at this point. I've got the same wheels and they have been bombproof so far......

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    These came on my scalpel , love the light weight , look, build up is great. I raced them at Whiskey Offroad and in Sedona. I am 180-185 lbs and they need some work the front and esp. rear needs some truing. Im sure any damage occurred at the Whiskey. At my weight I wouldn't call these an everyday wheel set. I am going to get a stouter set for everyday and use these for racing mostly. I am a big fan of these for racing , the witch's hair spokes keep things crazy light, but not for daily pounding imo. I am a keep the wheels on the ground mostly kind of rider, smooth go fast, no hucking , back surgery stopped all that shtuf .

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by RyderX View Post
    Buyer Beware
    sums it up pretty well.

sell them and move on to something that doesn't require proprietary parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Two guys in SoCal that I know have raced them and had issues on their first few rides. One guy broke a spoke, the other had spokes coming undone during the Julian Death March.

SO, if you do buy them. Have somebody go through them before you plan on racing them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Im planning on rebuilding them ..... the rims are sick ! Time to spend more money

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I returned two sets that the spokes in the rear detensioned on badly. I figured I just had some bad luck and returned them for a refund. Not good to hear others are experiencing the same as me.

bog
    mtbr member
    I've been running the first version with the black hubs for almost 2 years and they've been fantastic. I'm 240 lbs geared up and regularly ride some of our BCXC trails in North Vancouver on them. They are the most durable wheels that I've ever used.
    Too bad the 15mm adapter on the front wheel wouldn't fit well on a Fox 34 fork though. Went with a Revelation and all is well.

Maybe the newer versions aren't built as well.

BTW, what is proprietary about the spokes? Look like standard straight pull spokes to e.
    SC Tallboy C : SC Nomad 3 : Giant TCX SLR : Giant Propel Adv SL

mtbr member
    It boggles my mind that wheels this expensive would have this kind of trouble. I would expect, no, demand that they be perfect. I know I know, the actual percentage of satisfied customers is always higher in the real world but I would be seriously annoyed. I don't go for the uber $$$ stuff and stick with the mid price stuff and I'm rarely if ever disappointed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by WildBill View Post
    At my weight I wouldn't call these an everyday wheel set.
    Hi WildBill, would you mind elaborating on why this is not a good set for your weight? I am considering buying this wheelset (Upgrade to Reynolds 29 Carbon wheels - Advice?) and I am about 10lbs heavier than you. I did some research and these wheels were generally rated pretty sturdy, I think somebody put them between the Enve XC and AM rims. I don't do races either...

thanks
    grani

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Grani, I am just getting way to much flex out of these wheels, I feel they, in an attempt to build these as light as possible, went to thin on the spoke gauge . super stiff rim with spokes made from doll hair. I have had these trued and tensioned and I cant keep them straight. I am not free riding on them no drops etc. I am riding how I would in any xcountry race, flying into a turn I feel the front flex, I really wish these were stiffer and more sure footed. If your not racing or pushing the bike super hard I'm sure these would be fine, but at speed and hard cornering I can feel them flex, and they have been in the true stand a little to often. I was 183lbs this morning.

bog
    mtbr member
    WildBill, this is very odd so something must be wrong with your wheels.

Mine have been very reliable and are bomber stiff compared to any wheels that I have ridden before and I've owned and ridden loads of wheels. I ride them very hard and find the build quality to be excellent so I'm guessing that you got a set of lemons.

I do agree that the wheels would be better with DT Comp 14/15 instead of the DT Revs that they're using but these are XC wheels. The light gauge spokes don't hold up to user error like dropping the chain behind the cassette (bent hanger) and rock strikes. I broke a drive side spoke and the wheel was less than 2mm out of true which is amazing. The chain also damaged other spokes so I rebuilt the drive side with DT Comp spokes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Or maybe I have have a set of lemons, or its just me ? My ex wife may agree....

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    sums it up pretty well.

sell them and move on to something that doesn't require proprietary parts.
    ^^^^This^^^^^
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

bog
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    ^^^^Not This^^^^^
    FYP

Again I ask which are proprietary parts? The spokes, nipples and bearings are very common.

Unless there is something wrong with WildBills wheels he is feeling fork or frame flex. These wheels are among the stiffest out there.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I had a set of these & they worked great in the time that I used them ( less than 300 km ) They were stiffer than my Flow wheel sets but not by a lot IMO.

The whole time I owned them I was a little worried about the low spoke count & I didn't like the low poi.

I stopped using them when I got my XX1 Group & ordered the XD free hub that was going to be 3 months wait, I had someone offer me almost the same money as I paid for them, So I grabbed it.

I did really like the rims, So I ordered a set of I9 Torch trail 32 Carbon wheels that use the Reynolds Carbon rims.

Now I have the wheel set that I really wanted & they work great.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by WildBill View Post
    I am riding how I would in any xcountry race, flying into a turn I feel the front flex, I really wish these were stiffer and more sure footed.
    Quote Originally Posted by bog View Post
    Mine have been very reliable and are bomber stiff compared to any wheels that I have ridden before and I've owned and ridden loads of wheels.
    Oh dear...2 user experiences that couldn't be any more different. Well I guess the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Does anybody know if the wheels that Reynolds sell directly are identical to those found on the Cannondales (F29 and Scalpel 29)? Spokes, Hubs...?

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by bog View Post
    FYP

Again I ask which are proprietary parts? The spokes, nipples and bearings are very common.

Unless there is something wrong with WildBills wheels he is feeling fork or frame flex. These wheels are among the stiffest out there.

If they were very common parts, any shop would have them, and he wouldn't have to wait for the manufacturer to send the correct spokes....twice.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    not necessarily, all wheels do not use the same length spoke. Even the larger shops do not have a huge spoke inventory to cover every wheel they sell.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    The wheels are factory, and spec'd on my Scalpel 1 ..... the rims are supper stiff (vertically, top to bottom) agreed .... Laterally(side to side) this wheelset moves ... I have re-tensioned them etc. I really dont know what else to say. I like them super light , but for my riding style I want a laterally stiffer wheel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    This is what I'm doing , I9's have done these rims right.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeNeverwinter View Post
    not necessarily, all wheels do not use the same length spoke. Even the larger shops do not have a huge spoke inventory to cover every wheel they sell.

I am well aware of wheels and spokes.

If you can only get the spokes you need for your wheel from the wheel manufactuerer, then it IS a proprietary part.

Yes, the shop may not have a big selection/stock of spokes....but if it is a standard spike that can be ordered through any of the distributors....there is no reason to have to wait on the manufacturer to send the spokes out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    If you can only get the spokes you need for your wheel from the wheel manufactuerer, then it IS a proprietary part.
    Fair point by mtnbikej.

Does anybody know the full story on this?

transmitter~receiver

Quote Originally Posted by grani13 View Post
    Fair point by mtnbikej.

Does anybody know the full story on this?
    According to the website they use DT Swiss spokes and look to be standard straight pull. All you need to know is the diameter and length to find out if they can be sourced elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Add another set bad from the factory (came with my Scalpel). I have one 50 mile ride on smooth single track. Three spokes are completely loose on the front and two in the rear. LBS attempted to tighten and re-true but have come to the conclusion that the both wheels require a complete re-tension on a stand. I'm bummed, another week without my bike. Sad that so many people are having issue's with factory built wheels since the rims are so highly regarded.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast