mtbr member

lotsa problems with new bike!

Hey guys I've only been biking for 2 years now and just recently bought a new bike. (7 or 8 rides) two of them being over 50 miles. I understand that the bike is going to take some abuse over time but isn't it a bit soon to have to replace rear tire? Sidewall is on the verge of exploding in 3 spots! I haven't even had to replace the Tube yet the bike is so new. On top of that I found a spot on the bottom edge of the frame(bottom bracket) that must have just been nailed by a rock and took a small chunk of metal off the frame right where it houses the BB. It sucks because I just got healthy and am starting to really do well! I've even been thinking about joining a race or two this year. Can't do that with a 2k dollar hunk of metal that's going to fall apart. I clean degrease and lube after every ride almost. (about every 25 miles) this bike is a 2013 trek superfly al. My last bike was a mid 90s gt aggressor. I've never even lubed the chain and haven't had any problems with that bike. That was a lot of money to spend just to have to turn around and spend more within my first month of riding a new bike.

mtbr member
    Can you post some pix's, if you were in a rock garden or two you tire could have pinched at some point and is now splitting. Rock on the BB is not good but if you bottomed out over a rock it could remove some metal. Neither of these issues sound bike related. I am not trying to call you out but a brand new bike will split it's tires if rode with low pressure over rocks and sustains sidewall damage.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    I'm just frustrated with the rate of deterioration of the bike. It was a loose rock from my front wheel that hit the bottom bracket. And either way you look at it I spent 2 grand on a mountain bike and as soon as the first loose rock hits it its toast. As for the tires it can't be from low pressure. If anything it'd have to be from having too much pressure if that'd also happen. it calls for 40 I usually have ~45-50 lbs. so that would be my fault if having toouch pressure is just too much for the tire. My main thing though is this; what are the odds of a rock hitting my new bike and damaging it beyond repair when I have a 75 dollar 20 ish year old bike on my porch that's just fine.

mtbr member
    Sorry, that sucks. I know that it is a bummer when your number comes up for crap like this. Ask your LBS to see if they can swap out your tires.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

lotsa problems with new bike!

For something with sidewall protection
    My Rides:
    Mountain Cycle San Andreas VPS
    Mountain Cycle Rumble Ltd.
    Mountain Cycle Battery
    GT STS-2 Carbon
    GT LTS

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: lotsa problems with new bike!

Happened to me. Granted I didn't spend 2k on my bike, but i have about $1k into it. I've had bikes before that I've thrashed and they seem to not show any sort of damage. I'm careful with this bike and I've already scratched the bike loading it onto the bike rack, the chain popped off and somehow got lodged in between the ring and frame and took a huge gouge out of the metal, I sheared off the rear derailleur and I've put it into a tree. I guess I can't have anything nice? Lol

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I've noticed that alot of modern MTB tyres have very fragile tyre walls in an attempt to save weight presumably. If I was you I'd ask them to replace the tyres, they might do, they might not, depends how interested they are in keeping you as a customer.

As for the dent/scratch in the BB housing, that sounds like it's just one of those things that happens to all bikes sooner or later, just a shame that it happened not long after you got it. I don't think there's a problem with the bike, just the tyres.

cowbell
    I think the tire thing has been touched on with the correct answer. Just to clarify, if you had bought a cheap bike, you'd have gotten one with heavy tires. The sidewalls would have been 1/4" thick rubber, and they'd be nearly indestructible. But you bought a nicer bike, and you got lighter tires. Probably tires with a softer rubber compound as well, to provide better traction. So the sidewalls aren't just much thinner, they're also somewhat softer. It's a trade off. If you want tires you can get some miles out of that aren't expensive, get some CST tires that are wire bead.

As for the rock, if you're on good terms with the place you bought the bike, you might ask them to have a look at the frame. I've seen real standup places treat good customers really well with stuff like that, and stand up for the customer with the manufacturer - my gut tells me there's no reason they SHOULD warranty your frame for the chunk where a rock hit it, but they MIGHT, depending who it is, and who you are to them. But honestly, one of my bikes has had a chunk knocked in one of the AL tubes on it by a rock, the resulting hole was the size of my thumb. I was never worried about (or aware of) any warranty on that frame. I took it to a local metal fabricator that had a heli-arc setup, and gave them the frame and the chunk of AL that came out of the hole. For the princely sum of $27.50 they welded it back together, and a year later I'm still riding the bike as hard as ever with no problems.

mtbr member
    You should post some pictures. Neither of the problems you describe are indicators of a bad bike or faulty brand, these things happen. Trek doesn't make tires, and a rock can take a chunk out of any bb shell. I doubt the frame is compromised in any way.

local trails rider
    People want - and will buy - light bikes with light tires.

Light tires cannot be constructed as tough as tough tires. Anyway, tires are consumable anyway. Now you know that the ones you have are not strong enough for your riding. Get some stronger ones. They won't be as light. sorry.

Light bike frames are mostly aluminum or carbon fibre. Aluminum is not as carefree against scratches and dings as steel (which your mid-90s GT was probabnly made of).

(My heavy steel bike seems to have tough paint too, so looks almost as good as it did a couple of years ago. My heavy aluminum bike has scratches to the metal all over it. I don't worry about it. I've also learned which tires not to buy...)

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

FKA Malibu412
    Call the Wahhhh!-mbulance! Sheesh...first world problems.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    One of the first thing people look at when buying a "nice bike". How much does it weigh? Well, tires can easily pull 1/4Lb or more off a bike (probably more). This does not mean it's the ideal tire for your ridding style or area. I know it sucks to have to replace a tire but do some research and find a tire better suited to your area and style.
    As for the ding in the frame you'll never get that warrantied. It's just part of ridding off road. Think of it as getting that first scratch out of the way, now you can just enjoy the bike!
    Randy

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    This is a race bike.
    You bought a great bike that is a major upgrade. But.... if you are going to ride it All Mountain you need to set it up right and ride it with finesse. 2.4 Continental X-King Racesport(Black Chili) front and 2.2 rear won't cost you $2k. Tear that and go to the next heavier tire Hans Dampf if it fits.
    Frame protectors too.

mtbr member
    Awesome thanks for the tips guys. I'll definitely look into some tougher tires. I don't really care about the weight factor too much so that's not really an issue. As for the bb shell, the damage area isn't large it's just right on the edge. I'm worried about crap getting into my bb. As I was Lubing the chain I heard a grind in the peddle stroke which is the only reason I found the damage. I haven't noticed a decrease in peddle efficiency yet but you can hear it a bit. I'm sure the LBS will take care of me. I ride with the owner twice a week and he's just a good dude in general. Ill take it to him when he opens up and keep you posted. Ill see if I can upload some pics too. I'm using an iPod an the only attachment it will let me add is a pic I downloaded

mtbr member
    Don't look at it as the bike is falling apart, you're using it. That's a good thing. Did you have fun? We you faster? a little dent just means you knocked the new off it. It'll be even faster now..

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rswickx525 View Post
    Awesome thanks for the tips guys. I'll definitely look into some tougher tires. I don't really care about the weight factor too much so that's not really an issue. As for the bb shell, the damage area isn't large it's just right on the edge. I'm worried about crap getting into my bb. As I was Lubing the chain I heard a grind in the peddle stroke which is the only reason I found the damage. I haven't noticed a decrease in peddle efficiency yet but you can hear it a bit. I'm sure the LBS will take care of me. I ride with the owner twice a week and he's just a good dude in general. Ill take it to him when he opens up and keep you posted. Ill see if I can upload some pics too. I'm using an iPod an the only attachment it will let me add is a pic I downloaded
    If you still want some light tires that are much stronger, go with something like the Maxxis EXO tires. IKONs are a favorite of mine. The EXO sidewalls are TOUGH! Also, Bontrager(Trek's component brand) makes some beefier tires I've had good luck with. Your LBS might replace your current tires with some, or at least give you a discount. Come to think of it, Bontrager tires come with a pretty good warranty so if that's what you have you might be able to get a replacement pretty easily http://bontrager.com/products/components/tires

Oh, and you do NOT need anymore than 34PSI in your tires, and that's if you weigh 250+ lbs. My buddy only runs 28f/30r and he's 220lbs and rides HARD! I won't say high pressure caused your tire problem but it definitely didn't help the matter.

Also, I'd strongly suggest buying a roll of "helicopter tape" and putting a strip on your downtube, BB and chain/seat stays. Anywhere a rock could bounce off. I've got a couple thousand HARD miles on "AM"ish black diamond trails with tons of rocks and have NEVER even had a ding on one of my bikes while using the protective tape. It's just enough to deflect the impacts. It's not cheap, but if you care about your expensive frame it's good insurance. I hear stuff clanking off my downtube every ride but it still looks like new

mtbr member
    Cool. Thanks for info dfyfxx! I actually do have bontrager tires so that's a good thing. Ill definitely look into the maxxis. I'm friends with the owner of the bike shop and ride with him often so I'm sure hell do what he can to take care of me. It just sucks to have to replace things and worry about the bike already! Haha unfortunately he doesn't open up until tomorrow so I won't hear from him until then. Ill probably ride down in the am for a good check over. Ill keep you guys posted about what he says/does for the situation. Thanks for the tips

ballbuster
    40-50 PSI is a LOT for a 29er tire. Try 30-ish, and try going down to 25 psi to see if you can get away with it... if you feel rim strikes or get pinch flats, that's too low . If those are Bontrager tires Jones tires, yeah... they make them out of soft rubber and the treads tend to wear fast, but they are light, roll fast, and stick well. If you're skidding at all, that pretty much kills the tires in very short order (not to mention, it completely ruins the trails in the process). As they say, ride it don't slide it.

Dings... they're gonna happen any time you ride around big rocks.

Also, don't degrease your chain. That is the fastest way to ruin it. If you really jones to have a clean looking chain, look for some chainlube that also cleans the chain, like ProLink. Dump it on, work it in, and rag it off... done. Degreasers will basically break down any chainlube you put on top of it, no matter how much you think you rinsed the chain out.

Personally, I just dump DuMonde Tech lube on it, and keep on going. I typically get 700 miles out of an XTR chain before it wears to the 0.75mm limit. I also spend a lot of time riding in bad weather, sandy wet trails, and spinning in low gears with the super steep climbs around here.

Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    40-50 PSI is a LOT for a 29er tire. Try 30-ish
    Totally agree, you're going to rip your tires apart at the max pressure. I run 28 usually... sometimes down to 23. Also, you can't look at tires as "the bike"... they are sometimes not the most top notch tires... they have to keep costs down a little with certain things.

The best thing to do if you aren't comfortable wrenching on your own is take it to your local bike shop. I always look at a good mountain bike sort of like a muscle car... if you use them how they are meant to be used, you are going to have to either know how to maintain them, or pay to play (a bike shop)... because things will need maintenance. Light weight also can equal more of a challenge to maintain.

Edit: I'll also add... most things on a mountain bike are actually super easy to work on with the right tools. A google search or forum search has usually helped me learn how to do something in the past... also check out Barnes n Noble or other book store and you can usually find a good bike maintenance book. I now build my own bikes... 5 years ago I was scared to even loosen anything I have yet to tackle fork maintenance though.

mtbr member
    This happened on my first ride on my ASR5. I didn't worry about it but it made it more difficult to sell 2 years later.

I took some chunks of out my Jet9 RDO on the second ride. I consider it cool battle scars...

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Totally agree, you're going to rip your tires apart at the max pressure. I run 28 usually... sometimes down to 23. Also, you can't look at tires as "the bike"... they are sometimes not the most top notch tires... they have to keep costs down a little with certain things.

The best thing to do if you aren't comfortable wrenching on your own is take it to your local bike shop. I always look at a good mountain bike sort of like a muscle car... if you use them how they are meant to be used, you are going to have to either know how to maintain them, or pay to play (a bike shop)... because things will need maintenance. Light weight also can equal more of a challenge to maintain.

Edit: I'll also add... most things on a mountain bike are actually super easy to work on with the right tools. A google search or forum search has usually helped me learn how to do something in the past... also check out Barnes n Noble or other book store and you can usually find a good bike maintenance book. I now build my own bikes... 5 years ago I was scared to even loosen anything I have yet to tackle fork maintenance though.
    Or check out the Park Tool site. There are tons of how-tos. Sheldonbrown.com is really good, too.

mtbr member
    Lbs said not to worry about the BB shell. It was a nasty chunk but it wouldn't affect the bike. The dent pushed the aluminum into the plastic o-ring on the outside and everything still looked like it'd be fine. As for the tires he said bontrager wouldn't do anything for it just because its normal wear and tear. He had gotten a new bike and put better tires on it so he sold me the ones he took off for 30 bucks brand new. Unfortunately yet are the exact tire I have on there now but I got 2 of them. I like the tread pattern but hate the thin sidewalls. Ill keep my eyes peeled for something that will work better for races thanks for the help guys much appreciated.