mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Lost one of the caps to my fork!

I just got my brand new fork a few weeks ago. Took my bike out last wknd to try it out, and after my ride I added some air to my fork....well like an idiot, I set the cap on the end of my trucks tail gate and packed all my gear up and drove off...Fast fwd to today, and after work I take my bike out for a quick ride in the hood, and notice the cap is gone....I got a small cap on the end of the stem now, but the stem is still exposed. You guys think I can get away with this for a while, at least untill I get a new cap? I doubt any air will leak out of the fork, but I'm kinda worried about dirt, dust, etc..getting down in my fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Put masking tape over it.

Formerly of Kent
    Or just take the valve cap off of a Schrader tube, and put it on your fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by das028 View Post
    I just got my brand new fork a few weeks ago. Took my bike out last wknd to try it out, and after my ride I added some air to my fork....well like an idiot, I set the cap on the end of my trucks tail gate and packed all my gear up and drove off...Fast fwd to today, and after work I take my bike out for a quick ride in the hood, and notice the cap is gone....I got a small cap on the end of the stem now, but the stem is still exposed. You guys think I can get away with this for a while, at least untill I get a new cap? I doubt any air will leak out of the fork, but I'm kinda worried about dirt, dust, etc..getting down in my fork.
    I lost my cap four years ago on my hard tail.. I put on a metal cap and it's been good ever since. Yes, the stem is exposed, but exposed to what - dirt, dust, rain? Doesn't matter as the only part that needs covering is the valve stem.

I wouldn't worry about it.

mtbr member
    I've seen spares on the Universal Cycles website under fork parts, but stupid money for a little piece of plastic IIRC.

Bite Me.
    Sometimes a good shop will a miscellaneous parts bin that has all sorts of odds and ends in it. I have 3 or 4 Marzocchi caps that I've picked up on the trails or pulled off dead forks - you could ask your LBS if they have something that might work - if they do it will only cost you a beer or two.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

TR
    Angry bunny
    Go to an auto store and they will have any number of anodised dust caps for car tyres that will fit your fork.

get down!
    Email the fork company, I'm sure they'll send one out to you for free. Probably get some stickers too. F*ck yeah!
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed View Post
    Email the fork company, I'm sure they'll send one out to you for free. Probably get some stickers too. F*ck yeah!
    Thats what i was thinking

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Or just take the valve cap off of a Schrader tube, and put it on your fork.
    did that as soon as I noticed, took it off a wheel barrel...lol