mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Looking for XC 29er Fork

I am looking to purchase a fork to replace my tired 2008 Reba. I've had the chance to ride a few forks but I still have some questions.

The problem I have found with most forks is stiffness in the lowers. I have an Xfusion with a thru axel and it flexes more than the Reba. What fork would offer the most stiffness in that regard?

A second concern is the ability to fine tune the ride. Honestly, I want to air it up and go ride. Lockout is needed but I don't want to deal with two air chambers and compression settings. For this reason, I was considering CTD from Fox. I've liked the demos that I have had on them.

I have the ability to change from a qr which I think I should do. It's going to spend a lot of time as a single speed so maybe an auto-lockout valve would be nice?
    Last edited by Jnthomps08; 08-12-2013 at 09:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Fox CTD 100mm.

/thread

Hi There!
    I have the Fox CTD 120, which can be changed to 100 and it's so far so good, but if I were going to get a new fork I would seriously think about the White Brothers Loop.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    Fox CTD 100mm.

/thread
    Lefty.

Now you can /thread.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Quote Originally Posted by thegweed View Post
    I have the Fox CTD 120, which can be changed to 100 and it's so far so good, but if I were going to get a new fork I would seriously think about the White Brothers Loop.
    +1 on this. My favorite fork in the last 6 years of using air forks.

On the CTD... I honestly have no first hand experience... but all the threads on problems with the CTD would make me shy away.

The Loop has really awesome adjustments right where the lockout would normally be on a Reba... only this isn't really a traditional lockout on the Loop... more of a fine-tune-on-the-go lever. If I feel like I'm getting too much bounce on the trail I am on, I simply turn up the magnetic threshold (the blue lever) and you have firmer and firmer pedaling efficiency the farther towards "traditional" lock out you go... but then still full on suspension when you need it.

A Senior
    Apr 2008
    I have a 2014 fox 34 140 and it is laterally stiff for me at 225 weight.
    Still find it a bit harsh though, especially on the trail setting. But if opened up to descend fork bobs a bit. Adjusting pressure to tune.