Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Looking for a wheel set under $500

I am new to mountain biking and I recently got a 2011 Specialized RH Comp29er. The previous owner, by the looks and feel of it didnt do any maintenance to the bike. My problem is that the free wheel sounded really bad and I cleaned it up some and greased it but it still has a grit feeling to it. Also the cassette feels really lose.The wheels are oem Alex wheels and specialized non sealed bearing hubs. So I was told it isnt worth the money to fix the free wheel and cassette. I am better off spending extra money and getting a decent pair of wheels. What do you recommend i do? I ahve been looking at several wheels packages and have found Fulcrum Red Power XL for 239 a set. I also looked at BWW and they have alot to choose from, just dont know if their prices is for a set on each. Anyways any help and advice would very helpful.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Cant go wrong with Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs laced to Stans Flow EX's. check merlincycles, wiggle and cyclesportuk for the best price at the time. Shipping from UK to states seems to be under 10 days no matter what path you take.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hedz0r View Post
    Cant go wrong with Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs laced to Stans Flow EX's. check merlincycles, wiggle and cyclesportuk for the best price at the time. Shipping from UK to states seems to be under 10 days no matter what path you take.
    Awesome combo, but if you're not in a hurry, I'd wait until they start shipping these wheelsets with the new Hope Pro Evo 2 40T hub. 40 POE vs the old 24 POE.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Awesome combo, but if you're not in a hurry, I'd wait until they start shipping these wheelsets with the new Hope Pro Evo 2 40T hub. 40 POE vs the old 24 POE.
    Any idea how long? Also is 1900-2100g the normal weight of rims of this price range.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    If you're not heavy and don't ride recklessly I would get the Hope/Crest combo opposed to the Flows. I'm at the weight limit(190 I think?) and don't take it easy on them. They've been good.

Fat-tired Roadie
    BWW typically prices for the set. And, I think they make nice wheels. I have a set on my 26" bike. Look for something with components that are available aftermarket. Then if this comes up again, you can repair them.

BWW's house-brand stuff was getting positive buzz last I saw, maybe a year ago? And I think they sell freehubs and other parts. So if you don't mind having only a single point of sale available, some of their house-branded stuff still qualifies as serviceable.

With anybody, watch out for weird spokes. You can buy J-bend spokes anywhere. Straight pull spokes are harder, and one hears horror stories about trying to track down Mavic spokes.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Quote Originally Posted by pursuit2550 View Post
    Any idea how long? Also is 1900-2100g the normal weight of rims of this price range.
    The Pro2 40t hubs have supposedly shipped this week to distributors... but that is hubs only so not sure on complete builds. Go look around at Universal Cycles and use the code "fallingleaves15" - you get 15% off over $300. What is your weight? That would make a big difference too on how light of a wheelset you can go. Arch wheelsets are more like 1650g.

Otherwise if you aren't stuck on Stan's... Price Point has 15% off and free shipping with code "FREE199". I would get this Sun Ringle Blag Flag Expert wheelset. Uses licensed Stan's rim tech, comes with tubeless kit... AND you are getting straight-pull spokes. With code you are only talking $424 shipped.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Straight-pull spokes are a selling point??

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

I'm curious, where are you guys finding Hope Pro2s laced to Stan's rims for $500?

Re: Looking for a wheel set under $500

Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Straight-pull spokes are a selling point??
    At a $500 budget limit it is. But I suppose you want to argue it. Trying to help the guy meet his budget... good job providing anything useful to the thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by msrothwe View Post
    I'm curious, where are you guys finding Hope Pro2s laced to Stan's rims for $500?
    UK shops like CRC, wiggle or merlin's

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    At a $500 budget limit it is. But I suppose you want to argue it. Trying to help the guy meet his budget... good job providing anything useful to the thread.
    IME, they cost more than J-bend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally Posted by msrothwe View Post
    I got my hope pro 2 evos laced to stans for $380 free shipping from cyclesportuk. They made it to my door in 10 days including weekends.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks for all the help guys. I went another route and picked up a 2013 Scott Spark 950, only ridden 5-6 times on pavement. The bike is mint. I will eventually take all this advice and put it to good use later on the Scott. I guess I will price the RH accordingly because of the wheel situation.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    After reading some of the responses from you guys I have another question. Acouple asked about my weight and riding style(165 and normal), so why does that play a roll in selecting a wheel. Do they make a wheel that's light and can take alot of abuse and weight, kind of like a forged wheel for a car. Or the more you weight and harder you ride you have to get a heavier wheel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally Posted by pursuit2550 View Post
    Or the more you weight and harder you ride you have to get a heavier wheel.
    Bingo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Quote Originally Posted by hedz0r View Post
    I got my hope pro 2 evos laced to stans for $380 free shipping from cyclesportuk. They made it to my door in 10 days including weekends.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    Hey, thanks for the heads up. That's a good deal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    If you weigh 165, there's no reason to go with Flow Ex's unless you want a wheel that is bulletproof. You could easily go with Crest EX's/Arch EX's and still get a pretty wide wheel and save some rotating weight.
    Bike Doctor

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I just bought a set of Hope / Arch EX wheels for $390 with free shipping and no tax. They weigh in at 1800 grams for the set.

Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo 29er Arch Ex Wheelset | Wheels MTB | - Cycle Sports UK

Quote Originally Posted by balatoe View Post
    I just bought a set of Hope / Arch EX wheels for $390 with free shipping and no tax. They weigh in at 1800 grams for the set.

Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo 29er Arch Ex Wheelset | Wheels MTB | - Cycle Sports UK
    Did you get the 40t engagement?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Did you get the 40t engagement?
    I don't think so. I bought mine before the new 40t engagement came out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by balatoe View Post
    I don't think so. I bought mine before the new 40t engagement came out.
    You sure? does the model of the hub end in 40t? Currently UK cycle sports says they come with the 40t and it did a week ago too when I ordered my flows.

mtbr member
    Another way to verify if you have 40T is it will be engraved on the hub next to the regular logos on the hub shell itself.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Looking for a wheel set under 0-hope-hub.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by danny31292 View Post
    You sure? does the model of the hub end in 40t? Currently UK cycle sports says they come with the 40t and it did a week ago too when I ordered my flows.
    Well, I just took a look at the rear hub again and did see tiny lettering under the work "EVO". I had to use a magnifying glass to find out what it says. It does say "40T".

Looks like I have the new rear hub then.

mtbr member
    I found a good deal on a 2012 Easton EA70 XCT rear wheel for $179 and a 2013 front for $249 recently. Great wheelset, stiffer than the OEM wheels and they roll smooth as butter plus I dropped a full pound from my bike.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast