mtbr member
    May 2013

Looking to upgrade my powerspline bottom bracket

I currently have a Sram S800 crankset with a powerspline bottom bracket, and the BB is creaking bad. I called sram and there tech suggested a howitzer team BB as a suitable upgrade however a quick search reveals some bad reviews. I know I could start fresh with a much better crackset+BB but my funds are limited at the moment. Does anyone have any suggestions for a BB that would be compatible with my S800 crackset?

Rub it............
    Unfortunately Truvativ (Sram) is the only one that makes the Powerspline bottom bracket. It's a 12 spline unit, so not compatible with ISIS or Octalink.

Creaking can be caused by numerous things. If your 100% sure it's the bottom bracket creaking, pull the bottom bracket, clean and re-grease the threads in the frame, then re-assemble.

Creaking BB's can happen with any type of bottom bracket. It's best to pull them at least once a year to clean and re-grease the threads anyway no matter what you have. Grit, grime and water gets into the threads and pushes out the grease. And the more you ride, the more you have to service the bike. If you ride in wet conditions quite a bit, then even more maintenance is required, including up to replacing worn parts.

Save your pennies until you can buy the crankset that you want.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    Unfortunately Truvativ (Sram) is the only one that makes the Powerspline bottom bracket. It's a 12 spline unit, so not compatible with ISIS or Octalink.

Creaking can be caused by numerous things. If your 100% sure it's the bottom bracket creaking, pull the bottom bracket, clean and re-grease the threads in the frame, then re-assemble.

Creaking BB's can happen with any type of bottom bracket. It's best to pull them at least once a year to clean and re-grease the threads anyway no matter what you have. Grit, grime and water gets into the threads and pushes out the grease. And the more you ride, the more you have to service the bike. If you ride in wet conditions quite a bit, then even more maintenance is required, including up to replacing worn parts.

Save your pennies until you can buy the crankset that you want.

Thank you for the informative post. I think I will start researching a new crank set.

mtbr member
    I don't place a lot of weight with online reviews.

For example. A large number of people on this forum dislike Avid Juicy brakes. I like them.

If money is an issue just buy a new bottom bracket. How long did the old one last you? Some people only get 6 months out of and external shimano BB bearing yet they still get good reviews.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi View Post
    I don't place a lot of weight with online reviews.

For example. A large number of people on this forum dislike Avid Juicy brakes. I like them.

If money is an issue just buy a new bottom bracket. How long did the old one last you? Some people only get 6 months out of and external shimano BB bearing yet they still get good reviews.
    The powerspline is my Cannondale's OE BB. I've only had my Trail SL for about 2 months now. The creaking noise has been there since day 1 practically but I didn't bring it in for service until last week. Bike shop said that "maybe" it just needs some lub. When I go to pick it up after said service yesterday, it was still creaking, and that's when the bike shop said they would have to replace the BB under warranty, and that it would take a couple of days to get the replacement part in. So having this experience + all the negative reviews online about how creaky this BB tends to be, pushed me to look into a upgrade of some sort.