mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Looking to upgrade hydraulic brakes - have questions

I'm looking to change out my Teaktro Hydraulic Brakes on my 2014 Rockhopper Comp 29. The Teaktro's are extremely noisy. I was looking at the Shimano XT's. What parts or Shimano part numbers will I need to get the upgrade done.

Thanks,

Kevin

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    +1 any insight anybody?

mtbr member
    You need the brakes. They come as a whole. Levers, hose, calipers, pads. You may also want to look at upgrading rotors while you're at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Definitely XT's!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I just upgraded to deore M615's. The price was right and the performance is outstanding! Hard to beat the shimano brakes.

Certifiably Crazy
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    You need the brakes. They come as a whole. Levers, hose, calipers, pads. You may also want to look at upgrading rotors while you're at it.
    Do rotors make that much of a difference? I'm running Tektros as well.
    2011 Felt Z5
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

29er
    Apr 2010
    Used rotors have the old pad material embedded, and will make break in difficult. Get new rotors cheap off ebay

Dianetics Junior
    M785s for sure are what you want as Nubster linked. Check Blue Sky cycling or Nashbar as they often have good prices on these items. Don't forget you'll need Shimano adapters specific to your rotor size (sometimes other brands work, sometimes not in my experience)...great upgrade choice the brakes are stellar...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    What's the difference between the M785 and the M785-B ?

mtbr member
    I might be wrong but I think the B is the newer ones with finned pads. Those are the ones you want if possible. The other ones are fine and work great. The finned pads are just supposed to dissipate heat better. If nothing else, you can get the older ones and get finned pads next time you need to replace pads.

And yes, a good rotor makes a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks for the info everybody.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    The "B" stands for I-Spec B, which is essentially like Avid's Match Maker where the shifter and brake lever run off of the same clamp. I just put a new set of B spec XT's on my rig and they've been the best brakes I've ever used. My old Elixir 5's can't compare.

mtbr member
    I replaced the tektros with XT's on my Camber also, and it was a HUGE difference. I got the package deal where you get caliper/line/master as an assembly. I kept the tektro rotors, they work fine with the shimano pads.
    DaveH
    '13 Specialized Camber
    '13 9:ZERO:7
    '11 Specialized Hardrock

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Here is a very thorough write-up of what I did to upgrade my Tektro Auriga Comp brakes:
    The Frugal Mountain Biker: Part 6 - Brake Service & Upgrade

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Carloswithac View Post
    Do rotors make that much of a difference? I'm running Tektros as well.
    ice techs are quieter. also call cambria before you order from chain reaction. cambria often will match them and they pack items a LOT better. with chain reaction you get unboxed oem gear and it can be dinged up. blue sky is another oem take off outfit. if possible i try and only use jenson or cambria, service is stellar, packing is stellar and you don't have to wonder if parts will be missing. i've had blue sky send me headsets with the wrong race rings, chain reaction send cranks with dings in them. just annoying crap like that. with shimano brakes buy a retail box that comes with the right hose, right olives and isn't potentially missing parts.

i think...and you should really ask to verify this. some of the brakes are made for i spec shifters and some aren't. could be what the B stands for. ipsec-b which is 2nd gen ispec

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    The Tektro pads were downright pretty lousy. Almost any good quality set of resin/organic pads will be much better. Even Shimano resin pads are better. That is why I looked at EBC & Nukeproof because they are rated as some of the top brands. I am sure that there are other brands out there that are just as good or maybe even better. My swap to Nukeproof pads ended up solving all my noise problems, and I also ended up with more stopping power.