mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Looking for a new rear tire to go with my 29x2.4 Maxxis Ardent in the front.

I still have the stock bontrager tire in the rear of my Trek Cobia and am looking to replace it. As of now I'm debating between another Ardent in the back or Maxxis' Ignitor, but I'm open for all other suggestions. I ride moslty trails with hardpack and a lot of roots. I'm not running tubeless and don't plan on it anytime soon.

Thanks!
    The bigger you are, the harder you fall.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I was running a Geax saguaro with the ardent up front. I felt like it was always spinning out. Just switched to a 2.4 X-king and very happy so far.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by fatguybiking View Post
    I still have the stock bontrager tire in the rear of my Trek Cobia and am looking to replace it. As of now I'm debating between another Ardent in the back or Maxxis' Ignitor, but I'm open for all other suggestions. I ride moslty trails with hardpack and a lot of roots. I'm not running tubeless and don't plan on it anytime soon.

Thanks!
    Lots of options. You could go with a 2.25 Ardent in the rear. Quicker rolling? The new Ikon 2.35 if you want some volume back there that will fit. Or an Ikon 2.2 for less weight and less aggression. A Crossmark in the rear.

Lots of XC tires for the rear: Ardent, Ikon, Crossmark, Aspen, Ralph, Ron, Nic, Raven, Renegade, Fast Trak, and on and on. Sounds like you need something with better rolling resistance and less weight and volume than the monster truck tire on the front, right?

What's wrong with the stock Bonty?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I've been using a Kenda Slant Six 2.2 as my rear for a while now. I also ride on trails that are hard pack with lots if roots. The Slant Six give pretty good grip and spin. It is a lighter tire than the Nevegal I have on the front. I think it's a pretty good all around tire.

I kept the stock Bontragers on my Trek for a while, too, until I learned a little about tires and grip and slippage. I'm not sure what stock Bontragers you have but the ones that came on my Marlin aren't good for anything other than flat hard pack (like a dirt road). I still have them and change them out with the Nevegal and Slant Six when my girlfriend wants me to ride the "bike path" with her.

mtbr member
    Maxxis Minion DHR2 2.3...?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Professional Crastinator
    I've been running 2.4Ardent(F)+2.1Ignitor(R) and I like the combo.
    One other option would be the Forte Pisgah. Great grip, good rolling, really 2.2, $30, 650g

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    I run an Ardent 2.4 up front and a Racing Ralph 2.35 out back. Works for me.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    I'm running the 2.3 version on the rear and am extremely pleased. I've used a TON of tires over the past three years and I think I've finally found a keeper

Specialized Bicycle Components