Plays with tools

Looking for a new high end fork and I'm stumped.

I follow the bike industry fairly closely except when it comes to suspension. I've not bought a new suspension fork in almost a decade (had a few given to me though) I'm not crazy about rockshox ditching their dual air system as I really liked that aspect of their forks. I know I could lay up and go with a fox, but I'm curious what people have to say about the White Bros Loop, or the offerings from Magura. Looking for 15qr, tapered steer and adjustable travel from 100-120 internally.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    I follow the bike industry fairly closely except when it comes to suspension. I've not bought a new suspension fork in almost a decade (had a few given to me though) I'm not crazy about rockshox ditching their dual air system as I really liked that aspect of their forks. I know I could lay up and go with a fox, but I'm curious what people have to say about the White Bros Loop, or the offerings from Magura. Looking for 15qr, tapered steer and adjustable travel from 100-120 internally.
    I would go with WB or Magura, though I recently got a Manitou Tower 120 mostly because of price. The Tower is still performs very well and I have no complaints.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Have you considered a Lefty?
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Your Best Friend

Re: Looking for a new high end fork and I'm stumped.

I feel you on rock shox dumping the dual air. I'll bet you could still find a brand new 2012 Reba and it would be better than anything else your looking at.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    I love Fox RLC. I like my FOX CTD less. Then I rode 26er Blur with 20mm Lyrik, HELLO! Can you say "rock slayer"? 20mm axle with 35mm stanchions is point and shoot if you are brave! Lyrik is real deal. 20mm just does not work with my wheel set (26er XTR TRAIL), but I am trying to sell my 32 stanchion, to buy a FOX 34 CTD. If you go FOX(not 100% sure I would if I were you) get 34 Float. Talas feature on singlespeed 29er is a feature I do not use, I think TALAS feature is useless for advanced riders.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    What is travel on lefty?

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Have you considered a Lefty?
    I've looked at everything but a lefty, not going down that road.

mtbr member
    Anywhere from 90mm to 140, depending on model and tire size. Mine is 110 right now. The new 29er Supermax is 130 in a 29er without any modifications, though I'm not sure you can get one aftermarket right now.

Your best bet if you want a Lefty conversion kit is Project 321. They're an authorized Lefty dealer, so if the Supermax is available aftermarket, P321 is the place that'll be able to get it for you.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Have you looked at X-Fusion at all? I have been well impressed by their offerings.

AOK
    mtbr member

Really liking my WB Loop so far.
    White-Brothers-Loop-29?
    White Brothers Loop 29?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I would go with WB or Magura, though I recently got a Manitou Tower 120 mostly because of price. The Tower is still performs very well and I have no complaints.
    This, another thumb up for Tower Pro, especially for the price.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Manitou Marvel and Minute are going 29 for the 2014 product line. Should be around now or soon. The Tower may be renamed as a Marvel or dropped. I like Manitou for the shim system tuning options.

The White Jeff W
    Manitou Tower is a great fork but doesn't have adjustable travel like the OP wants
    No moss...

R.I.P. DogFriend
    MHO: See if you can find a 2012 Marzocchi 44 Micro Ti 29"

Ticks all the boxes. It can be switched internally to 100, 120, or 140. The features on that fork make it very tune-able, it rides as well as any fork I have tried, and better than most.

Tenneco Marzocchi Suspension - 2012 forks - 44 MICRO TI 29"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Manitou Tower is a great fork but doesn't have adjustable travel like the OP wants
    Pretty sure the Tower Pro can be adjusted from 100-120 internally based on previous threads on this fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    Pretty sure the Tower Pro can be adjusted from 100-120 internally based on previous threads on this fork.
    You may be able to adjust a 120 down to 100 with some different parts. Or just get two forks for the same price as one of some others.

The White Jeff W
    My understanding is that the Expert is travel adjustable but the Pro is not. Has someone figured out a hack?
    No moss...

but I'm curious what people have to say about the White Bros Loop, or the offerings from Magura. Looking for 15qr, tapered steer and adjustable travel from 100-120 internally.
    I have 3 months on my LOOP and it's my favorite fork by far. Replaced a dual air SID that I didn't like. You can fine tune the crap out of the Loop if you choose to, or leave it at the factory settings and simply follow the air guide... and it's still awesome. I just recently started messing with the magnetic threshold to fine tune it to my weight/riding. I really, really like the magnetic threshold... I am one of those people who forget to turn my lockout off (if I do use it) and this is a great design in that regards... I can just set it to the threshold on if I know I am going to be doing a lot of climbing, and I will still get the suspension when I need it.

Let me know if you get the Loop and want different colored graphics (dorky I know). They don't sell the decal sheets anymore since they ran out, but I have the artwork which I found on their website.

Also - I remember reading a review when I was first shopping for the Loop, something about the thru-axle being a "two handed operation". Not the case at all... so I'm not sure if it was an early design flaw or what... but mine works super easy, one handed.

Looking for a new high end fork and I'm stumped.-whitebrothersloop-blue.jpg

Plays with tools
    I'm leaning towards a loop but I've got two questions that their website seems unable to answer. Does their magnetic threshold valve only work when the lockout is on or does it work more like the terralogic forks where it's always on? I've always thought the terralogic was a great option, but not an option for me, especially on a 100+ travel fork. The other question was travel adjustability, they don't call out any options internal or external.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

I'm leaning towards a loop but I've got two questions that their website seems unable to answer. Does their magnetic threshold valve only work when the lockout is on or does it work more like the terralogic forks where it's always on? I've always thought the terralogic was a great option, but not an option for me, especially on a 100+ travel fork. The other question was travel adjustability, they don't call out any options internal or external.
    AFAIK the mag threshold is always on, but adjustable.

Travel change is internal.

NoahColorado would be able to answer all your questions.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

AOK
    mtbr member

The magnetic threshold only comes into play in the last 3-4 clicks of the compression adjust knob. So you can run the fork without the magnet engaging at all.

Travel adjust is internal by moving a pin in the air side shaft. Pretty easy job, you have to drop the lowers and move a pin. Very similar to internal travel change on a Fox fork, except you are hammering a pin in/out rather than moving a plastic spacer.

They sell two models - one adjusts 80/100/120, the other is 120/130/140. (For some reason the 140 model is listed as 130/140 only, but it does have pre-drilled holes to drop the travel to 120. )

I think you will be very happy with the Loop. I was thinking on my ride today how great of a fork it is. It doesn't get a lot of press, but is a great fork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    CRC has some Rockshox 2012 dual air models left they are trying to clearance out. Here is the link to a SID 120mm 15mm TA. I bought the Rev 140mm 20mm TA for about $400 in Feb. Hope this helps you.

mtbr member
    I would def. consider the terralogic.
    OR
    A remote lockout fork

As an advanced rider these are actual ways to gain an advantage.
    From my understanding and correct me if im wrong but the loop is like the terralogic?

It would be silly to buy a "high end" fork without features that make you faster.

Re: Looking for a new high end fork and I'm stumped.

Quote Originally Posted by toot334455 View Post
    It would be silly to buy a "high end" fork without features that make you faster.
    I actually switched out a SID XX with remote lockout. I felt that fork needed it and it was great... but the loop doesn't need it and I don't miss it. The Loop is a very efficient fork for climbing.