Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Looking for a lighter, stronger wheelset

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  beastmaster 
#1 ·
I have a superfly 100 with bontrager race x lite scandium 29 disc wheels. I was looking to upgrade to a lighter, stronger wheelset. Is it worth the money or is my wheelset high end enough? Thanks

#4 ·
$1200 gets you the new Roval carbons with star ratchets. See if your lbs will knock off 20%.
You could rebuild your hubs as I believe you have dt internals with Enve rims or light-bicycle rims with Supercomp spokes with brass nipples to avoid corrosion. Or ArchEx for a smaller improvement with a lot less cost.

#7 ·
I have an OCLV Superfly 100 too. I upgraded to a stock Stan's Arch EX wheel set this year (about 500 miles on them so far). I weigh 190-195lbs ready to ride. These wheels are fantastic! Personally, I won't be purchasing these "chinese" carbon wheels anytime soon. Easton, Enve, and Specialized make great carbon wheels. But they are expensive for their weight and overall strength. The stock wheels on the Superfly weigh about 2150 grams. The stock Arch EX build (Stan's 3.30 hubs) weigh 1775 grams. Toss on some light tires and go. You can drop 3/4 to 1 pound of rotating mass for about $600 and have almost no flex, unlike to Bontrager stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.