mtbr member

looking for input on 29" studded mtn bike tires...

can anyone suggest a good tire for winter trail riding? Or if there's such a thing as an attachment type of traction device similar to snow chains that are used on a car tire?

Pros & cons, limitations?

thanks in advance for any info
    Last edited by DBLDEE20; 01-01-2013 at 03:55 PM.

Airborne Flight Crew
    I've have a set of Nokians for my 26". The only real advantage is that they grip more on actual ice. On snow, there's not much difference.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yes they make studded tires, I don't know of the make off hand, I know they are not cheap here in Canada, about 80 bucks each and up. I have seen tire chains for bike as well, again not sure who makes them but both are available. I used to make my own with screws but it added so much weight to the bike and fixing a flat was very painfull. It did make the bike look like something out of the road warrior movie though.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    thanks for the feedback. I've seen the nokians for about $100/tire.

I was wondering if they really made a difference on packed & fresh snow before I laid out 2 hundy for some tires or if it was a waste of money

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    For trail riding, the best option are the Nokian Extremes ($80-90 each) or the Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pros ($120 each, I think). They work best with ice as was stated above, but will help pull you out of icy ruts that form as the snow melts. I wouldn't go with anything less knobby than those (or with lower stud count).

A lot of people will do homemade studded tires by choosing a knobby tires and driving screws through such that they just protrude from the rubber. These tend to wear extremely fast and should really only be used on the trail (no roads/cement). Here are a couple places to start looking if you go this route:

My DIY studded tires

New DIY studded tire thread ! Post your ideas and experiments :)

Ultimately, I needed mine for commuting so I went with a set of 700x45 (I think) studded tires.

Good luck.

Did I catch a niner?
    Photobucket
    Nokian Extreme Gazza W294 29x2.1 on the rear. I think it helps out a lot all around, I think they clear snow better and handle the cold better vs a standard tire. Think of it like winter tires for your car and the rubber not getting harder as it gets colder. I also think setting it up tubeless helped out a lot more this year vs last year and a tube.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    I also think setting it up tubeless helped out a lot more this year vs last year and a tube.[/QUOTE]

are the tubeless less likely to go flat with the studded tires?
    Last edited by DBLDEE20; 01-03-2013 at 05:50 AM.

mtbr member
    I ride my Fire XC Pros on packed snow with no problems. The only time I feel I need studs is when there is glare ice. Try snow riding before you buy anything. You can always change out the tires if you feel studs are needed.

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    Nokians really suck for trail riding. Schwalbe ISP are very good, and work fine tubeless.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by langen View Post
    Nokians really suck for trail riding. Schwalbe ISP are very good, and work fine tubeless.
    what makes them a bad choice for trail riding? They seem to get good reviews here & on amazon

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DBLDEE20 View Post
    what makes them a bad choice for trail riding? They seem to get good reviews here & on amazon
    Insufficient grip. Plain and simple.
    Think about it - Nokian increased the diameter, but kept the same amount of studs as in the 26er version.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I ride 26" Nokian Extreme and 29" Nokian Extreme. Both are fine on the trail. Maybe the ice spikers are better but I wouldn't go so far to say the Nokians suck. I can make it up moderate ice flowed climbs with the Nokians. Lake crossings with new ice are no problem. Hard packed snow, great! Looser snow, no difference. I'd stick to one of those 2 brands because the studs are carbide, not steel.

The place where you will really appreciate having studs is when you are bombing down a trail, either hard pack snow or dirt, and come across an ice spot from melting and freezing or a frozen pool. Riding across these spots with normal tires is a guaranteed crash. With studs you often don't' even need to slow down.

Buying studded tires was one of the best bike purchases I ever made. Buy some!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    OP,
    I can't imagine studs helping all the much on hard packes snow unless it is icy.

Has anyone tried gripstuds? They are not cheap but at least they are reusable. I have been making due with ultra low pressure and tubeless tires. I get around ok but some of the more popular trails in my area are hard packed and all ice. You could ride fast with studs but they are pricey. I would like a little feedback before making the plunge.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    thanks for the feedback. I've seen the nokians for about $100/tire.

I was wondering if they really made a difference on packed & fresh snow before I laid out 2 hundy for some tires or if it was a waste of money
    No, studs make no difference on fresh or packed snow. They make a huge difference on ice, compact ice.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

MTB, Road, Commuting

NTM1973: How much more feedback do you need?

Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Buying studded tires was one of the best bike purchases I ever made. Buy some!
    If you trails are hardpacked an all ice you will be very happy with studs. It really depends how hard the pack is. If the snow is packed to a point where it is starting to glaze and it is smooth the studs will help. Most other snow conditions they don't make a difference but the tread design is made for snow.

I saw those gripstuds but holy cow! A buck a piece? That would make the studs in my tires worth almost $600.

$84 each: Nokian Gazza Extreme 294 29 x 2.1 Studded Tire in Tree Fort Bikes Tires (mtb) (cat544)
    Last edited by bedwards1000; 01-09-2013 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Added link

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro is probably the best choice, if you can afford it. I guess Schwalbe aren't all that big in the US, otherwise I would think they'd get mentioned more in this thread.

mtbr member
    thanks for all the info

I picked up a set of these....

Amazon.com: Nokian Gazza Extreme 294 29x2.1 studded tire: Sports & Outdoors

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Cool, I don't think you will be disappointed. The Ice spikers may be a more aggressive tire but the Extremes are so much better than non-studded tires the extra money doesn't seem to be necessary unless you are riding up ice flows.

I hope you are buying them @tree fort bikes for about $50 less for the pair.

mtbr member
    Took my Nokian Gazza Extremes for a road ride yesterday to "seat" the studs then took them into the woods today. My first time ever with studded tires. They did fantastically on frozen ground and ice but were horrible in the slushy melting snow. Three of us had Nokians and one of us had the Schwalbe Ice Spikers. We all agreed that the two tires performed equally.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I bought a set of the nokian 294 this year. I am so very happy I bought these tires. On icy trails, they stick. When they slip, they seem to always catch.

On glare ice, they are super fun. You can push them into a drift at top speed and they slide just right.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    +1 for ISP. Amazing performance. Haven't tried 'em tubeless yet.

Did I catch a niner?
    are the tubeless less likely to go flat with the studded tires?
    I was able to run lower pressure running tubeless, I am also on a Gordo rim (35mm) so the tire has stretched out a bit and given a bigger contact area.

If this frame could fit a Knard I would probably drop the tubeless and do that, maybe I can find a welder who can alter the frame for me to do this would be a heck of a lot cheaper then buying a fat bike I think.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    i have the schwalbe ice spiker pro, i choose that tire because its available in 29 x2.25..most spikes tires are 2.1...incredible tire when its icy!
    expensive cars are a waste of money. Expensive bikes...not so much!