Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Looking for a good grippy front tire...

4K views 36 replies 32 participants last post by  Hauffy 
#1 ·
He guys, I'm looking for med-to high volume front tire for XC riding on hardpack and loose over hardpack. I ride a Giant XTC 29er. I prefer tires that will allow more severe lean angles when cornering as opposed to more upright cornering. I have tried the following tires:

Specialized Captain S-works 2.2: all around a good tire, light weight rolls acceptably well, but doesn't quite have the cornering muscle I'm looking for.

Wtb Bronson 2.2 race: Too heavy, at first looked promising but the side knobs are way to soft and only grip well in loamy conditions otherwise the tire is drifty up front.

Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.1 (what my bike came stock with): only useful to me as a rear tire.

My go-to tire for my 26er has been the Wtb weirwolf (original, not the new one) in 2.1 and 2.3 sizes. Definitely fewer tire choices for 29ers... any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Try the Specialized Butcher 2.3. It has that high lean angle design and a soft tread compound but with well supported side knobs. The Purgatory 2.3 is a bit better all around, but the Butcher is actually lighter and corners like crazy. I have heard of folks ripping knobs off them but that has not happened to me.

The Specialized 2.3s are really 2.2s by the way.

#6 ·
I use the specialized captain control for the front and it has never let me down and I corner hard and fast. The ralph had put me on my face to many times, not a very good front tire at all. I use a maxxis crossmark on the rear, awesome tire.

#18 ·
I've use a Schwalbe Rocket Ron (Both 2012 and 2013) 438 Evo TL and I can guarantee you it is a BAD IDEA. You'll never have grip on loose over hard, it will slide around even if you're running it anywhere along 21-25 psi.

I strongly suggest getting a Schwalbe Hans Dampf 29 x 2.35 Snake Skin then run it at 25-26psi. It's definitely the best for your application.

#10 ·
What about the Ground Control

Specialized Captain S-works 2.2: all around a good tire, light weight rolls acceptably well, but doesn't quite have the cornering muscle I'm looking for.
Interesting review of the Ground Control, seems like it has some improvements over the Captain in terms of cornering: http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-components/specialized-ground-control-29x2-3-a-845842.html

I don't have any experience on the GC, but will probably give it a shot up front this season, move the Fast Track to the back, and get rid of the Renegade.

#14 ·
The butcher is a great front tire it is leaps and bounds ahead of the purgatory on loose over hard and hardpack. The purgatory likes more loamy wet conditions and it corners really well in those conditions but is lacking in the dry. The ignitor is a amazing all around hardpack and loose over hard tire in the dry conditions. Out in colorado this is one of my favorite XC based tires for the XC days. Cant go wrong with either the butcher is a bit more aggressive riding the ignitor is more XC style.

#15 ·
Specy Purgatory - love it as a front...can really lean it over. I have the prev. year's version in a 29x2.2..they went to a 2.3 this year. Personally, I think it works well in the conditions you describe, but that is contrary to what someone above stated. Tires are so personal.

#17 ·
I'm running a 2.35 Nobby Nic up front & it floats thru sand & gravel and tracks very straight. I think the side knobs could be stiffer, they are similar to the bronson - designed for more loamy soil than the Colorado (front range) loose over hard conditions. It will break loose then grab on some corners so it took time to get used to the feel- I think that is due to the transition between the center and side knobs. In the high country where there is actual dirt you can lean into it with more confidence. Have not ridden the Spec Purgatory but those stiffer side knobs look like a better option.

#21 ·
+ another for the Specialized Purgatory, I'm running 2.4 up front and Specialized Captain Control 2.2 on the rear on my WFO Niner, my EMD I had was set up w/ the same tires. Love the combination.

gnewcomer aka OldMtnGoat
Seconded. I was surprised at how well the Captain Control did on the back of my Tracer29. Rolled much better than what I had back there before, and didn't give up much in grip.

For anybody who's still interested in Purgs at the 2.4 size, they's still available on-line in Specialized "Outlet Tires" (or whatever they call it under Bike Equipment) Not very 'outlet' at 55 a pop, but still there.

#22 ·
I'm really liking the 2013 rocket Ron up front...I wish I found it sooner. It rolls fast and very versatile. I was running a nobby nic up front for a while, but like someone else mentioned, it will loose traction...slide...then gain traction. Takes a little getting used to if you lean the bike over..but still an all around great tire. I've found the rocket Ron is way more predictable, light, and even sheds mud very well. Before that I always used crossmark rear and ignitor front for XC riding. I really liked that combination till I tried the schwalbe tires. Not sure how someone could tell you that the RoRo is a waste of time...for me, it's gotta be the best front tire under 700 grams I've ever used (I always go with the sidewall protection models)...when the application is XC/trail riding. For anything more, the RoRo will go in back and either NoNi or HaDa up front. Just my opinion.

I see a lot of people recommending specialized...never tried one but they look ok. I just have had bad luck with that brand name. The nearest dealer here is awful and turned me away from the name. Tires are something you gotta experiment with yourself. Everyone has a different favorite.

#24 ·
I think it's going to be hard to find something that grips like you want it too but is as light as you want it. This decision will be about tradeoffs.

The Hans Dampf is an amazingly grippy tire, but it's heavy and not the fastest rolling tire. The RoRo is not as grippy but much faster (it is supposed to be grippier than the RaRa though). A Nobby Nic would work.

I've used the Ground Control as a rear tire and liked it. I think that you'll find the tread pattern to be very similar to a Nobby Nic. They are narrow tires though. So, for the front, go with the 2.3 version.

#25 · (Edited)
I just switched to Ardent 2.25 R , 2.4 F. from riding Ikons for years on my carbon XTC. Talk about a slap yourself in the head "I've been riding the wrong tire" moment.

I can stop faster, climb steeper, corner harder with the ardents. I also have more stability in loose rock gardens, and more impact cushioning. I also noticed how much stronger the sidewalls are, and how much more rubber there is which can only mean more flat resistance.

I noticed all these improvements immediately, but I'm not noticing the slightest reduction of rolling speed on trails or the extra pound on my bike. (Well maybe on pavement its a tiny bit slower)

I haven't tried many of the other meaty tires in this thread, so maybe they are all just as good. My point is-don't give too much "weight" to tire weight in your decision making. Performance matters and I'm certain I'm faster with my heavier tires.

Attachments

#26 ·
I just switched to Ardent 2.25 R , 2.4 F. from riding Ikons for years on my carbon XTC. Talk about a slap yourself in the head "I've been riding the wrong tire" moment.

I can stop faster, climb steeper, corner harder with the ardents. I also have more stability in loose rock gardens, and more impact cushioning. I also noticed how much stronger the sidewalls are, and how much more rubber there is which can only mean more flat resistance.

I noticed all these improvements immediately, but I'm not noticing the slightest reduction of rolling speed on trails or the extra pound on my bike. (Well maybe on pavement its a tiny bit slower)

I haven't tried many of the other meaty tires in this thread, so maybe they are all just as good. My point is-don't give too much "weight" to tire weight in your decision making. Performance matters and I'm certain I'm faster with my heavier tires.
thats so funny I just switched from a rear 2.25 ardent to a 2.2 ikon and the ikon is so much faster (less grip though which is ok on the rear). Im literally running two cogs higher at the same cadence.

#28 ·
Has anyone actually seen or used that new Ikon 2.35 yet? If so, how does the volume compare to other 2.35 tires? Is it a larger volume tire then something like the 2.25 schwalbe RaRa, RoRo, or NoNi? Tire sizing seems all across the board with all manufacturers...and you never really know until you mount it up. I was extremely surprised how much larger the 2.35 nobby nic is compared to the 2.25 version...and curious if the new Ikon might be the same way...Thanks

#34 ·
^ Killer shot. Mary's Loop in Loma, CO?
Must agree that tires are highly subjective, and I first seek volume, then grip, rolling resistance, and lastly weight.
Given this, some of my up front fav's are - Ardent 2.4, Ra-Ra 2.4, Rampage.
[Excluding Purgatory, every Spec tire I've seen looks to be small volume.]

(edit - ff, where'd the pic go?)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.