mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Looking to change pedals

Currently own Shimano Deore - XT's. I've been in a number of situations where mud/dirt prevented me from unclipping when I really really needed to.

I guess my most important criterion is that I can be confident that I'll be able to unclip when ever I need to. (I'd guess that most MTBr's think that is important as well.) The Shimano pedals don't even come close.

So, a friend recommended that I look at Time pedals. There are a number of them, so I'd like to see some comments and evals.

THX -

I hate that name.
    In my experience, Times and CBs are harder to unclip than Shimano, but easier to get into when mucky.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Time are good pedals. The ATAC were my first set of clipless pedals and I am still rocking the same pair after 10 years. They are easy to get in and out of when you need to and reliable. I thought about getting a new pair of ATAC, but why waste money on something that isn't broke!? IMO they are a pedal...you won't be sorry.

mtbr member
    Time, Crank Bros, or Look all work fantastically in the mud. They are not any harder to get into or out of than Shimano but do lack the positive in and out "click" that the Shimano pedals have.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    You might also want to look into multi-release cleats for your shimanos if getting out of them is 1st priority. I had a similar problem but was running crank bros -- actually broke an ankle from inability to release once. Ive been very happy with shimanos with the multi-release cleats. It's somewhat like a platform in that you have to be mindful of coming out of them more so that with the standards. But for me, it strikes a nice balance as I'm always out when I need to be.
    If you're really honest about it, they're all "cheater lines".

mtbr member
    The absolute easiest releasing pedals are Speedplay Frogs. They are pretty easy to get into once you get used to it and are good in pretty much gunk. The only difficult stuff I've found is fine sand/dust in a few places (Moab, for example). And that's getting clipped solidly in; they still unclip easily.

Worth taking a look at. I have them on all my bikes - including my roadie - and have been riding them since about '98.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    I ran Shimano XT and XTR pedals for years. I started having a lot of problems unclipping from sand, etc, in Moab and Utah. I changed this year to Crank Brothers pedals and love them. They lack the "click" of the Shimano's when you clip in and don't have the feeling of resistance just prior to releasing like Shimano, so they take an adjustment period. In my opinion, though, they are WAY easier to get into and out of than the Shimano's. I have never gotten stuck in them, including on a 3 days trip to Moab where my friend with Shimano pedals was having trouble. YMMV.
    People have reported broken pedals with CB in the past. I don't do huge drops and weigh 160 pounds with my pack on, so I decided to take a chance on them. So far they have been great.

mtbr member
    I vote for Time ATAC XS. Clears mud well, very dependable release.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    actually just switched to the Time ATAC from SPD I'd been using for 10+ years and love them. was coming here to post a question about saddle height after the change but I'll start a new thread.

+1 for the TIME ATAC

mtbr member
    I've had the both the xt's and the crank bros. I like the crank bros better, I feel I always come out easily after a crash. I set them up with the earlier release configuration ( I think it is the clip with the dot on the right foot but I can't remember) Anyway, I currently like the new Mallet 2's but that's because I like a big platform, the candy 3's are nice as well. I'd avoid the beaters unless you are a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    I just switched from CB Candys to Shimano XT m780 and I threw multi directional cleats on my shoes.
    I've tried Time atac pedals, a long time ago, and they worked fine. The Candys are really easy to get into, but I've gotten stuck a few times where I really needed to get out. I'm not sure why, maybe I needed to tweak the cleats a bit or lube something, but whatever the reason I couldn't get out fast enough and ate dirt. So, when the pedals were showing their age I decided to try the Shimano m780. Nice pedal, seemed very lubed up out of the box, slippery kind of. Definitely a different feel than my CBs. The Shimanos are adjustable and I can set them on the lowest setting so I can unclip faster, and much quicker than the CBs. The issue is I'm not used to clipping into them yet, so they are not as easy for me to clip in. I'm sure I'll figure it out. I just rode thru some mud yesterday on them and didn't notice any problems clipping back in. I picked up the M780s for $80, decent price for a solid pedal.

Wanderer
    ATACS are my favorite. Eggbeaters are not bad but never seem to last. Easy in and out for both even if you have muddy(ish) conditions.

mtbr member
    I don't know about you guys, but I really wasn't able to utilize the full ability of my 29er until I installed 29er specific pedals. Highly recommend them.
    Signature