mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Look / Time / Crank Brothers Pedals

Hi Everyone,

does anyone have advice and experience on the following pedals:

~ Time ATAC
    ~ Look S - Track
    ~ Crankbrothers - Eggbeaters

I'm searching for an easy to clip in pedal that works in dry and wet/muddy conditions.

Thanks in advance...

Ski N Bike Tech

All three of those are good options, but I personally use Crankbrothers eggbeaters and candys. The new Eggbeater 3's are a bit stronger with the new forging and a reversed spring. I'm a big guy (280+) and enjoy them.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have been using Time ATACS for 10+ years,they are not the lightest pedal but work great for me in all conditions and have been bullet proof . They often outlast my bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Are these gonna be your first clipless pedals or are you already comfortable clipping in and out?

I recently switched to eggbeaters after many years on shimano pedals. It took me a while to get used to to crank brothers, and am actually starting to like them now. The two reasons I switched to them was the weight and float. If you don't care about these things then I think you should try either time or shimano. The time and shimano pedals are extremely easy to get in and out of..with a nice positive feeling when the cleat engages. I feel like the cb's require a little more effort to click in...but that's just one mans opinion. Also noticed the cb's cleat wear out much quicker then what I'm used to...not a deal breaker since its a cheap part to replace.

We don't get much mud here...and when we do, bikes destroy the trails, so can't comment on that...but I've heard the eggbeaters shed mud extremely well. Maybe your local shop has some take offs you can pedal around the parking lot?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks guys...

These are my first MTB clipless pedals but I'm entering MTB from a Road background and am comfortable with Look Keo Classic clipless pedals. The bike came with Shimano XT pedals and initially I wasn't a fan of them as they clogged with mud easily and I struggles to clip in with those conditions.

My LBS advised that the most of the racing locals use CBs when it gets wet and muddy. It rains here more on the exception than the general rule. He also mentioned that he uses CBs due to their low weight.

The Look/Time/CBs looked to be a simpler click method but that's just a visual from a MTB newbie.

My bike is 12.62klg and I weight approx 97klgs so the weight in pedals can seem immaterial at times. So I'm after a pedal that is easy to clip into, can handle dry and muddy/wet conditions and lasts.

CBs and Shimano are popular in my local area but Time/Look aren't so was curious what the MTB community had to say about them.

Thanks again...

mtbr member
    I've been using Time ATAC XS pedals for a long time now (10 + years) and have always been happy with ease of clipping in and out, weight, etc. My only complaint is that they tend to wear a groove in the sole of your shoe where the rearward retention piece is, which eventually causes play in the interface between shoe and pedal. It takes a pretty long time for this to happen...

SPP
    Rigid.

dwt
    mtbr member

Best value pedal sold IMO is Shimano M520, or if you want a platform around the mechanism, M530. Entry level price, advanced performance

I've pretty much used them all. Started with Shimano and then Look, Time, CB, now back to Shimano. Easiest in and out, no unintended release on pedal strikes

"I ride my bike to ride my bike"- Zen proverb

Posted via iPhone
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

Cheesiest
    I really like the S-tracks. There isn't much adjustment on the , but the engagement is solid.
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks guys - how do the Time/Look pedal deal with dirt and mud?

From what I'm hearing they both engage well and are solid performers and am curious to hear about how they deal with adverse weather conditions (although it may better be to stay indoors in such weather).

The CBs deal with mud/dirt quite well from the feedback I've heard and received.

Thanks again...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Time pedals are similar to crank brothers, but much more reliable/stronger/well designed. The crank brothers are notorious for failing well before pretty much all other pedals. More modern shimano pedals are much better at clearing mud, but not as good as time and crank brothers. If you are going for ultimate lightweight, crank brothers is hard to beat, except when they break the wings, the bearings fail, pedal body falls off the spindle, etc. I highly recommend time or shimano pedals, M520 or M540. The time pedals are good for mud clearing and have more float, the shimano pedals have adjustability, multi-release cleats and are very reliable/consistent. The M530 with the "platform" is kind of a gimmick and makes entry harder, without any real benefit. Nice because they were cheap, but I wouldn't buy them again.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks everyone - I appreciate your views and advice on the subject. Especially telling me of your experiences.

I'm looking at the Time pedals for my needs - Time Atac XC 8. At half the price of the Atac XC 12 and only 40g heavier I think it has the balance between functionality, weight and cost.

Once again, thank you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Cant speak to the CrankB's - but have ridden both Shimano and Time. Thought I loved Shimano's until they broke from pedal strikes - been on Time ATAC S for 3+ years now and they simply work in ALL conditions - no issues with mud/snow and are bombproof. The only downside was mentioned previously - about the groove they wear on the sole of the shoe - i replaced cleats and initially noticed that groove - but after a few rides no worry. The Looks seem similar but have not investigated first hand or ridden them.