Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Longish travel 29er fork for around $500

Well I may be jumping into the 29er world and I'll be needing at least a 100-140 mm fork. The fork will be going on some sort of slack, all mountain hard tail. I ride hard and often, but don't abuse forks so reliability is huge

My fork budget is about $500 and I definitely want a 15 mm thru axle. Beyond that I'm open to opinions. I'll consider about any brand (Rock Shox, Fox, X-Fusion, Manitou, etc.)

I've had good experiences with Rock Shox and Fox. I am curious about the Manitou Tower and the 29er offerings from X-fusion.

Opinions are welcome as I drink the 29er Kool Aid.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire 26er
    2005 Trek Bruiser urban single speed

ready to ride
    I think you need to narrow down what travel you are going to use. That will determine a lot. Then of course tapered or not. I'd say budget wise your aren't going to get a RockShox or Fox with more than 100mm travel for $500. At least new.

You could get a Recon and take out the spacers, which is what I did on my but if I were buying a shock that isn't what I would get. For me I was making the best out of what came with my bike.

I'm eventually going to replace my recon. I'm having trouble finding a better bang for the buck than the Manitou Tower Pro. but the max travel is 120mm.

For 140mm I think the White Brothers Loop is a strong candidate also worth considering in the 120mm flavor but its going to run you closer to $700. RockShox has a 29er Sektor out but I haven't seen it anywhere except for OEM on Tallboy LTs and the Kona Taro. Their website does have it listed as a new 2013 model though and the MSRP is around $500.

Curious what frame are you considering building it around?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Manitou Tower, 15mm TA, tapered $395

Manitou Tower Pro 29er QR Fork 2012 at Price Point

ready to ride
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    Manitou Tower, 15mm TA, tapered $395

Manitou Tower Pro 29er QR Fork 2012 at Price Point
    Trust me, I know. Its all I can do to not pull out my CC and order it right now. If it were in black I would have already ordered it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnmtns View Post
    Trust me, I know. Its all I can do to not pull out my CC and order it right now. If it were in black I would have already ordered it.
    You mean like this!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Longish travel 29er fork for around 0-img_1499.jpg  

The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

ready to ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    You mean like this!
    Yep I would buy it this second, thanks for rubbing it in

Curious where did you get yours? I can't find one for any price in black. Well to be fair I did find one in Germany thats still a decent price but its 100mm. I need 120.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    So convince me to get the Manitou Tower....

I'll be most likely building a TransAM 29er, so 120 mm of travel is what I'm shooting for.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post

I'll be most likely building a TransAM 29er, so 120 mm of travel is what I'm shooting for.
    Okay, I'll try! Firstly do a search for Manitou Tower Pro. I haven't seen a bad report on them. The fork is very stiff, is very tune-able for any rider. It is a hybrid system with a small coil spring in parallel with the air spring. The coil can be changed very cheaply to allow for rider weight. The compression shim stack can be changed to taste. Also the Manitou/Hayes after sales service is excellent.

As another vote of confidence it is the second one I have. It is essentially the same fork as the Minute 29 except with tapered steerer and QR15 axle. The Minute name remains with the 26" model.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Longish travel 29er fork for around 0-img_2467.jpg  

The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Just minutes ago I wrote a response that would work well here. Hate to link elsewhere but check my replies in this thread. If you want more info the Manitou Clyde thread has a ton of great technical info if you're a heavier rider.

Suggestions for a 120mm trail/am fork

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    I like my manitou better than any Rock Shox or Fox I've ever ridden... just do it, you wont get a better fork for 2x the $$$$
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

There's always next year.
    I love my Tower 140 on my Tracer29er, as well as my Minute 120 on a Moncog. One of the few negatives is that the forks are set at the travel you buy them at, so no going down or up in travel. For what I paid for my Tower though, it was well worth it. I do love the customization one can do with the fork-- I just haven't gotten around it yet on the Tower-- and with twin girls showing up early, that will most likely have to wait for awhile. There are also many reports here about Manitou CS being great to deal with as well. That can be nice to have.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'm seeing RockShox Revelation 29ers online for just over $600. Wondering if its worth the extra cash of the Tower pro.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm seeing RockShox Revelation 29ers online for just over $600. Wondering if its worth the extra cash of the Tower pro.

I'm looking for a 29er Revelation also. Where are you seeing them for "just over $600.00"?
    http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/

*2014 Knolly Endorphin...Custom Build*
    *2013 Intense Spider 29...Custom Build*

mtbr member
    Want a Marz 44 for $400?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinboyer View Post
    I'm looking for a 29er Revelation also. Where are you seeing them for "just over $600.00"?
    eBay.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    eBay.
    Yep, they can be had for less than $650 shipped.

mtbr member
    Yep, they can be had for less than $650 shipped.
    Even cheaper if you're lucky searching online and places like allofcraigs.com

Couple months ago when I was curious about them (and my Fox 34 started creaking), I managed to buy 2 new take-off Revelations for much less. A 2012 RL for under $350 (from a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR EVO) and a RCT3 for $400 from a SC TB LTc, you just have to know where to look.

Plus if you can do 20mm axle, Chainlove seems to be posting some 2012 white Revelation RL 140 for only $280 as well these days, quite the steal compared to the Fox 34.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by padrefan1982 View Post
    I love my Tower 140 on my Tracer29er, as well as my Minute 120 on a Moncog. One of the few negatives is that the forks are set at the travel you buy them at, so no going down or up in travel. For what I paid for my Tower though, it was well worth it. I do love the customization one can do with the fork-- I just haven't gotten around it yet on the Tower-- and with twin girls showing up early, that will most likely have to wait for awhile. There are also many reports here about Manitou CS being great to deal with as well. That can be nice to have.
    I'm potentially looking to build up a Tracer29. Where did you find a Tower 140mm? I thought the most was 120mm. Pardon if I missed anything. Skimming through quickly at work.

ready to ride
    Quote Originally Posted by jackets5 View Post
    I'm potentially looking to build up a Tracer29. Where did you find a Tower 140mm? I thought the most was 120mm. Pardon if I missed anything. Skimming through quickly at work.
    Nope they make a 140mm too. A quick google search and you will find some.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Can you provide some feedback and info on the Tower 140? Is it 20 or 15 QR? Does it have a 32 mm leg or did they bump it up for the longer travel? Thanks. Was looking at the Fox 34 for increased stiffness, but these are so much cheaper. Would it be an improvement over my current Fox 32 at130? If you have the info, thanks. If not, no worries.

There's always next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by jackets5 View Post
    I picked up mine from universal cycles last summer and used their VIP15 discount, which made the fork an even better deal. Now, however, it looks like your only option is through PricePoint-- as they are the exclusive place to get Manitou online (a dumb thing, from my perspective) I'm thinking local shops should still be able to order/carry though.

I really like the fork, especially when I consider the price. For me, the Tower is far better than the Marz 44--again, for me, others may disagree. I could never get the 44 to feel good for me in 95% of my riding, no matter how much I played. No data, but the Tower feels stiffer than the 44 did as well. (both have QR15s, and the Tower is pretty comparable to my Fox F29 @ 120mm. The Tower has more "wiggle" then my Fox, but I'm also using the Tower on a completely different/more aggressive bike as well) Out of the box, I've struggled to get small bump response where I want it, but I haven't had the time to contact Manitou and get their help (twins were born 2 weeks ago-- kinda eating up all my time now)

The only thing I'd like Manitou to address is to take the tubes from 32mm up to something wider (34? 36?), which I'm sure would help when things get a little crazy on the trail. But for me (I'm 6'3", 225ish riding weight) its no deal breaker at all.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Congrats on the twins.

I'm just about to pull the trigger on the tower pro from price point. They are currently out of stock which gives you an extra 10% off due to their in stock guarantee. I'll probably order it early next week.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderzy View Post
    Congrats on the twins.

I'm just about to pull the trigger on the tower pro from price point. They are currently out of stock which gives you an extra 10% off due to their in stock guarantee. I'll probably order it early next week.
    Just an FYI, I ordered mine last week and they are supposed to get more in today so they may be in stock again shortly.

mtbr member
    Did you buy a fork yet?

This is a good deal, although somewhat short steerer tube.

Fox Float 29'ER 34 140 Fork | eBay

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Did you buy a fork yet?

This is a good deal, although somewhat short steerer tube.

Fox Float 29'ER 34 140 Fork | eBay
    Tempting but that steerer is about 3/4 inch too short.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast