mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Long Distance XC Rider looking to go 1x10

Thinking about taking my Niner to a 1x10 setup. Currently running a SRAM X-9 2x10 set up. Love the simplicity and thought of this but wondering if a XC rider who does a lot of distance in the South East (Dupont/Pisgah/Bent Creek) would I be making a smart move with all the climbing. Thoughts on a 32T Chainring with a 11-36 cassette? Who's running what? What are your gripes!?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm in the same situation. Curious what other's experiences are

COTA member
    I recently switched to 1x10 (32Tx11-36T) and am very happy. Have not found any climbs or descents where I miss 2x10. I am running a Wolf Tooth Components 32T chainring on SRAM XX crankset. Requires no chain guide. Workings great.

Bicycle Addict
    I ran a 32t x 11-36 in an XC race and did just fine. Then I tried the same set-up in an endurance event and just couldn't push it very long. I'm now running XX1 and I like that much better.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    I don't run 1x10, but I have been running 1x9 for 5+yrs. My typical setup if there is a lot of climbing, is a 32ring x 11-32 cassette. I have rarely needed to use a 1:1 gear ratio (32x32). Usually I am off the bike by then. Most multi-day rides, I run a 36 up front.

??? I have to think going 1x10 or even 1x11 would give you more middle options, but in the end, you still have the 1:1 in worse cases.
    - The only thing that keeps me on a bike is happiness.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Like Dry Side I switched to 1x10 recently. I ride a xxl Turner Sultan and use Shimano and needed to replace worn parts anyway so I bought a 11-36 cassette, shifter and shadow (clutch) rear derailleur and new chain. I also went with the Wolf Tooth Components chain ring, 30T. All these parts were about a third the cost of switching to XX1. My front rings were a 32 and 22 earlier with a 11-34 cassette. I do use 180mm cranks btw.

Living in Calgary Alberta I bike in the Rocky Mountain foothills and was concerned about loosing the granny gear. Wolf Tooth has a Gear Chart and based on gear inches for the easiest gear, old 22-34 versus 30-36 new, I went with the 30T instead of 32T.

I've had about 4 rides so far and really love it. I've ridden a course used for an 8 hour enduro I rode earlier in the year as it seemed the easiest way to compare efforts. With 30-36 you can tell right away on flat ground it's not your old granny gear. This 6.5 mile course has lots of short bursty type climbs and 1 that is about 30ft long and really steep, as in you have to stand up to keep the front wheel down steep. I had no problems whatsoever. Yes more effort is needed but you do go just a little bit further with every turn of the cranks. During this race, with granny gear, after about 5-6 hours I walked this hill anyway and I'm pretty sure I'd be doing the same with 1x10.

Out in the foothills, on a route with long tough climbs and some really technical uphill sections the 1x10 felt great. Being forced to use more power and going just a wee bit faster felt really good on technical sections where you can remain seated, it really helped the 29er roll over stuff more easily. Yes, a bit harder of an effort is required and after redlining for 20-30 min of climbing you can be prone to making mistakes on more technical sections. However, I made the mistakes in the same places I did with the granny gear anyway. Also, after all that climbing comes the down section.

Fast, rooty, rocky, dusty you name it. With the clutch rear derailleur and Wolf Tooth wide-narrow chainring, no chain drops. I'm not running a bash guard either right now, tons of clearance, even though my old 32T chainring is only slightly bigger than the 30T, but without the bash guard you really see how small the middle ring really is. NOTE, with just the one ring, I can really clean around the DW linkages

I think 1x10 is awesome and the way to go. I haven't ridden XX1 but I think they have it right and started something good with their 1x11. With their gear ranges you do have granny gear easy. I bet Shimano will follow their lead and come out with something similar soon. If shimano had a 11-38 cassette I would feel like I had a granny gear. I'm very happy with my setup and wouldn't run out and buy a new cassette if one came available. Also, I don't think I'll ever go back to 2 or 3 chainrings.

Pros of 1x10:

a wee bit lighter, especially psychologically

simplicity-you've got 10 gears and 1 shifter, less thinking, I really like this part, once you're in the easiest gear you just have to pedal and you will surprise yourself. Knowing there's no granny gear to bail you out, makes you a better rider

your bike feels faster, more efficient and looks more bad ass

less mechanical stuff to catch mud. DW link + fr derailleur catches and retains mud

you get stronger fast

cheaper to convert shimano than to switch to XX1

Cons:
    the getting stronger part may be a bit of a sufferfest

Carbon & Ti rule
    I have run a 1x10 setup, using a 32 wolftooth front ring & XX1 cassette just using the 1st 10 gears 42-11 & it works well on the X9 shifter & derailleur

With the new X01 cassette this will become a little cheaper to do.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Side View Post
    I recently switched to 1x10 (32Tx11-36T) and am very happy. Have not found any climbs or descents where I miss 2x10. I am running a Wolf Tooth Components 32T chainring on SRAM XX crankset. Requires no chain guide. Workings great.
    Can you convert a Sram x9 bb30 2x crank to a 1x?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadefatsax View Post
    Can you convert a Sram x9 bb30 2x crank to a 1x?
    You can but it depends on how you want to do it.

The Wolftooth GXP spider less chain rings will fit the crank but when you go to put the crank back on the bike the chain ring is to close to the frame.

If you want to run a 30th front ring you can use the X9 bb30 102 bcd spider & wolftooth ring.

If you have the 120bcd the 36 ring is the smallest.

If you get a BB30 XX1 spider & run XX1 front rings you maybe better off.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    You can but it depends on how you want to do it.

The Wolftooth GXP spider less chain rings will fit the crank but when you go to put the crank back on the bike the chain ring is to close to the frame.

If you want to run a 30th front ring you can use the X9 bb30 102 bcd spider & wolftooth ring.

If you have the 120bcd the 36 ring is the smallest.

If you get a BB30 XX1 spider & run XX1 front rings you maybe better off.
    Would a MRP bling ring work? Or is it the crank causing the offset issue?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Would a MRP bling ring work? Or is it the crank causing the offset issue?
    It is the crank causing the offset issue.

Re: Long Distance XC Rider looking to go 1x10

I'm running a 28t ring in the small position with a Straightline 32t bash in the outer. 11-36 in back. Using a SRAM GXP cheapo X5 2x10 crank. I added an extra spacer at the drive side bb too just to move it out a bit. No problems so far. Its been perfect on climbs but there were a few where I almost had a hard time. I'm not sure how the 32 up front people do it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have a Niner Air 9C and here is the response I got from Wolf.

"the GXP rings will physically fit on a BB30 with a removeable spider but some of them (especially anything larger than a 32t) can have interference with the frame and the chainline might not be optimal. Basically, the BB30 rings have 5mm less offset.
    We do take returns, but not after it has been mounted"

I haven't tried anything yet would love to run a 32T.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Just going out for 10 min, But I can give you all the info you want because I just went through all this, This week on my wife's Air9 RDO.

"the GXP rings will physically fit on a BB30 with a removeable spider but some of them (especially anything larger than a 32t) can have interference with the frame and the chainline might not be optimal. Basically, the BB30 rings have 5mm less offset.

Plays with tools
    The longer you ride the more range you need, that's my take on it anyway. 1x groups are all the rage but they are not for everybody, not by a long shot.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Ok

With my wife's Air9 RDO with X0 BB30 crank, I took out the plastic seal out on the LH side & adjusted the preload nut on the Lh arm as close to the crank as it would go, Put the spacer & wavy washer on the RH side.

Doing this was enough to get just enough clearance to run a 28 tooth Wolf tooth ring, & I do mean just.

The chain ring to stay are tight on the Niner carbon HT.

Short term while working out if my wife likes the 1x setup I'm changing the BB & cranks to a GXP setup that I have & run the wolf tooth 32 ring.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    thanks everyone for comments on this thread as they have collectively 'whacked me upside the head' about my aspirations of going 1x9, 1x10, 1x11. Particular loocius, great comments, man. You brought an important fact to my attention which is that even if I can quantify the loss of leverage range in the gears by going 1x (which I did calculate via excel lol), knowing if that will be a limitation for me and if it that limitation is worth the appeals of 1x can only be discovered by actually riding a 1x setup. Kind of sucks, really.

In my case, I am beginner riding a 26er specialized hardrock hard tail and so I had to take tire size into account a well as I am considering a purchase of 29er specialized stump jumper evo 29er hardtail (1x10, 33T front 36-11T rear). I am also considering fsr 26 and fsr 29ers but I definitely can say as an engineer in a weight-critical and complexity-critical industry and with similar personal hobbies that I am definitely liking idea of no front derailleur mess. I have a lot to think about I guess. Oh and also, while I have some cheese to blow I am not in a hurry to do it (I guess that goes for everyone here eh) and so I am considering an upgrade of my existing hardrock to 1x9. Probably foolish as the drive train would outcost the bike which I bought used.

If anyone wants the math to see exactly what are your high end and low end are now and what they will be with a given setup, feel free to request or PM me.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by kevbeer View Post
    If anyone wants the math to see exactly what are your high end and low end are now and what they will be with a given setup, feel free to request or PM me.
    For those interested, the online version is also available by using Sheldon Brown's gear calculator.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    nice brucebrown... I should've figured there was versions of those online. Still, glad I made mine in excel so I can tinker with it easily.