BBB STYLEE

Lockring + grip sleeves issue

Heyo!

I've recently purchased a new stem/bar/lockring setup for my kona unit. Everything is spot on and I love it, however, when I took my OE grips off, I noticed they had a plastic sleeve that would accomodate the lockring (or barends). Do I need to re-use this plastic sleeve in order to have my lockrings be of use? Do new grips come with a plastic inner sleeve?

Reason being is that I work at a motorcycle shop slangin' parts and I can get some really nice grips for dirt cheap that have the correct diameter - I'm just not sure if I can re-use what seem to be non-removeable grip sleeves with my new lockring setup! Thanks !
    Im referred to as a BBBM. Big Beautiful Beard Man.

BBB STYLEE
    I may have stumped the forum. Haha.p: ima try and peel off the grip from the sleeve in order to reuse it.

turtles make me hot
    I've not yet seen a plastic sleeve between grips and handlebars. What brand grips are they?
    I like turtles

BBB STYLEE
    Theyre what came on my unit stock. Id take a picture but I swapped the bar/stem setup to my daily commuter.

Gumnut Peddler
    Some grips have a plastic sleeve between the grip and the bar that has a split running along it. When you tighten down your grips at either end, it then squeezes the sleeve together and tight up against the bar. Then to remove, you simply loosen back the screws, remove the bar end and then slide the grip off. In the grips of this kind that I have owned, the plastic sleeve and grip have never been a separate item, and grip usually secured to the sleeve somehow - possibly by glue or heat.

I am not too sure if your new grips are slip on or screw on, but I would suspect that if the new grips don't come with the sleeve, then you don't need to use the sleeve. As far as how compatible this is with your bar end lock rings, then I am not sure to be honest given the amount of info you have provided.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinderz View Post
    Some grips have a plastic sleeve between the grip and the bar that has a split running along it. When you tighten down your grips at either end, it then squeezes the sleeve together and tight up against the bar. Then to remove, you simply loosen back the screws, remove the bar end and then slide the grip off. In the grips of this kind that I have owned, the plastic sleeve and grip have never been a separate item, and grip usually secured to the sleeve somehow - possibly by glue or heat.
    Exactly correct your new grips will just fit into place with nothing needed.

BBB STYLEE
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinderz View Post

I am not too sure if your new grips are slip on or screw on, but I would suspect that if the new grips don't come with the sleeve, then you don't need to use the sleeve. As far as how compatible this is with your bar end lock rings, then I am not sure to be honest given the amount of info you have provided.
    Understood. I have yet to purchase new grips due to the fact that Im wanting to use my new lockrings. I'd like something with a sleeve to allow for that. Motocross/sport bike grips (that of which I can easily obtain) do not use a sleeve to tighten down and was afraid of the grip slipping <---the most annoying thing ever. I'd preferto use my bar ends, but just don't know of any grips that come w/ a sleeve

BBB STYLEE
    I my research, I've come to find that companies will sell what is called a "locking grip." They always include the lockrings - not just the grips by themselves.

So, the million dollar question is - if companies only sell locking grips w/ lockrings, how the hell do we get replacement grips? If a whole new set is needed, I'd have lockrings like I have scars - tons, with no us for em except for a story. I'd rather not have 40 lockrings laying around all because I need replacement grips!
    Help me get back up and riding guys! Thanks!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by StopStaring@myUnit View Post
    I my research, I've come to find that companies will sell what is called a "locking grip." They always include the lockrings - not just the grips by themselves.

So, the million dollar question is - if companies only sell locking grips w/ lockrings, how the hell do we get replacement grips? If a whole new set is needed, I'd have lockrings like I have scars - tons, with no us for em except for a story. I'd rather not have 40 lockrings laying around all because I need replacement grips!
    Help me get back up and riding guys! Thanks!
    The lockrings are specific to the lock-on grip.

AFAIK only ODI sells a replacement lock-on grip (which includes the plastic sleeve) without the lockrings so you can reuse the rings
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

BBB STYLEE
    awesome! I'll look at ODI! Thanks Shig!