Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014

local shop recommends Ikon and Ardent?

My local shop here in Rhode Island recommended the new Ikon 2.35 for the rear and a Ardent 2.4 for the front. Has anyone used this combination?

I ride, albeit slowly, year round so I'm looking for something to get me through the rest of this winter, once this 20" of powder goes away. The bike currently has Continental Mountain King 2.2 Protection on front and rear, the rear spins up way easier then my Kenda Nevegal 2.2 Tomacs did I had on my other bike and wear faster than my Nevegals did. . I'm not particularly front tire sensitive as long as it grips on the brakes I'm okay with whatever.

One of my riding buddies suggested a Nobby Nic rear with a Hans Dampf front?

I'm willing to try most anything as I ride 2-4 times a week and I don't mind spending a few bucks for a good ride. I'm currently running tubes if that makes a difference?
    Specialized Stumpjumper HT

Warrior's Society
    I have not run the 2.35 & 2.4 together.....but have run 2.2 & 2.4 together. Really great combo...out here in So. Cal. The 2.35 Ikon is even better than the 2.2.

Mine were not run with tubes.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Bontrager FR3/FR4 better combo....
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Bring on the Down Hill!!
    I have not run the Ikon but I do run the 2.4 Ardent front and rear. I love the tire and have no complaints at all. I run soft dirt single track or loose over hard about 90% of the time. These are great over roots and rocks as well.

cowbell
    I run the Ardent 2.4 up front, and 2.25 rear as well. The Ikon 2.35 on the rear does seem to be a popular combo with the Ardent though. I like the rate of wear on my Ardent tires - which is to say, they wear relatively slowly, it seems like to me. Also, for the record, I wouldn't put a set of Schwalbe tires on my bike if they were given to me. I can honestly say, that while their road tires treated me well, I've never had anything but problems with their mountain tires, and they wear way, way too fast.

mtbr member
    I just bought an Ikon 2.35, so I don't have much of a riding impression of it yet. I will say, that even on my 35mm Blunt rim, it only measures out to ~2.2 or so, maybe a bit more. Looks pretty small compared to the Vee Rubber Mission 2.4 I had on there previously.
    WTB: fatbike hub, 170mm QR
    WTB: Large steel 29er (Niner SIR9, Soma Juice, Gunnar Rockhound, Singluar Swift or XL Gryphon)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Love Maxxis tires.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

KgB
    SNGLSPD
    I have been running nobby nics with a Hans on the front which I like better than the Ardent on the front, Shwalabes are crazy expensive though and they seem to wear a little quicker. I would look at Geax Goma also.
    I've been inside too long.

mtbr member
    I ran the Ardent 2.4 F / Ikon 2.35 R combo most of the summer on my hardtail and it's one of the best pairings I've found yet. Plenty of grip up front with the big Ardent and the Ikon rolls very well given its size, and it's volume really smooths things out. I've only run them tubeless so I'm sure the feel with be a little different with tubes at higher pressures you'll need to run to keep from pinch flatting, but I run them at 18-20 psi for the Ardent and 24-25 for the Ikon. The only negative I have about the Ikon is the tread life if you have a lot of rocks and ride them regularly they do wear a little quicker. I only got about 600 miles out of the last one that I ran before a weekend in Moab finally killed it. That said I'll be buying another one soon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have been running a Geax Goma front and Saguaro rear. They have great volume, wear really well, and the speed and grip is impressive . You can score a great deal on Geax's since they are now Vittoria's.

mtbr member
    RI rider here also, mainly Arcadia, Big River, B-Game. If you are only looking for a winter tire then keep the MKII 2.2 on the back and put a 2.4 on the front. Good combo for all the freeze/thaw slop we have. That's the combo I ran last winter, and I'm breaking out the 2.4 now that the snow is finally here. If they make it in a non-protection version I'd do that. No need for that on the front and it is kind of a heavy tire to be hauling up all our short steeps. If you want year round the Ardent is good but will be a bit overkill in the summer. I have a pair of Ardent Races on my bike right now. AR is a very good three season tire but can't say it's been great in the couple of slushy snow rides I've done this year. Other guys I was riding with on Bontrager 3s seemed to be having a better time not sliding around. I have an Ikon 2.35 on the front of the SS and I'm in love with that tire for RI riding. Air it down to 17-18 lbs and it still rolls great but smooths out all the roots we have. I'd like to try it on the rear some day. Unlike another poster I found the tire pretty true to size. On Easton Haven 21mm rims it measure a hair over 2.3", a lot closer to true than most.

mtbr member
    Currently running the new Bontrager XR3's front and rear ... on the rear its great but I think I need XR4 for the front

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
    RI rider here also, mainly Arcadia, Big River, B-Game. If you are only looking for a winter tire then keep the MKII 2.2 on the back and put a 2.4 on the front. Good combo for all the freeze/thaw slop we have. That's the combo I ran last winter, and I'm breaking out the 2.4 now that the snow is finally here. If they make it in a non-protection version I'd do that. No need for that on the front and it is kind of a heavy tire to be hauling up all our short steeps. If you want year round the Ardent is good but will be a bit overkill in the summer. I have a pair of Ardent Races on my bike right now. AR is a very good three season tire but can't say it's been great in the couple of slushy snow rides I've done this year. Other guys I was riding with on Bontrager 3s seemed to be having a better time not sliding around. I have an Ikon 2.35 on the front of the SS and I'm in love with that tire for RI riding. Air it down to 17-18 lbs and it still rolls great but smooths out all the roots we have. I'd like to try it on the rear some day. Unlike another poster I found the tire pretty true to size. On Easton Haven 21mm rims it measure a hair over 2.3", a lot closer to true than most.
    I live 2 minutes from Big River so I'm in there 3-4x a week if I can. I'm going to go for the Ardent 2.4 up front and either 2.2 or 2.35 Ikon rear.

mtbr member
    Yup, go with the 2.35. I have an Ikon 2.2 in the rear on my SS and love it but have not ridden it in the snow or slush yet. It's is a bit on the small side and has a very similar tread to Ardent Race but smaller knobs, and I'm already not to thrilled with the AR in the snow. The side knobs on the Ikon 2.35 are considerably larger than on the 2.2, and since you can run it at much lower psi you'll get more traction. You can always switch it to the front once winter is done too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That's my current setup and I have lots of tires to choose from. I like the reasonable weight and descent rolling resistance for such big tires. Running tubeless, 18-24 psi on LB carbon 35 OD rims on a Spech Enduro 29.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Got the Ikon today and mounted it up. Much easier than the Kenda Nevegal to get the bead to seat. Too bad the snow is knee deep in spots still

Just waiting on the Ardent to come in.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Been running the exact set up the past year on both my HT and son's as well. He does use only Ikon's on his race wheels as the are a bit lighter. The Ardent is a great front tire, hooks up great, at least for our riding conditions. Always been happy with Maxxis tires!

transmitter~receiver
    sounds like a solid recommendation
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I may be in the minority but I don't care for the ardent 2.4 up front. I never liked the feel of the tall thin edge knobs. When I leaned over the tire hard I always felt them squirm and to me that made the grip unpredictable.

I think the bontrager XR4 is a better combo of predictable grip decent weight and speed. I also think the bontrager team issue sidewall is one of the best out there for tubeless. I really wish they made the ardent race tread pattern in the 2.4 size. Better all around design IMO.

For outright grip, the Hans Dampf is the best 29er tire I've used. Unfortunately the rolling resistance and rate of wear weren't so good. I was on the trail star compound and the knobs started chunking kinda quick.

Just my 2cents, most people love the ardent!

Bring on the Down Hill!!

Quote Originally Posted by rusty904 View Post
    I may be in the minority but I don't care for the ardent 2.4 up front. I never liked the feel of the tall thin edge knobs. When I leaned over the tire hard I always felt them squirm and to me that made the grip unpredictable.

I think the bontrager XR4 is a better combo of predictable grip decent weight and speed. I also think the bontrager team issue sidewall is one of the best out there for tubeless. I really wish they made the ardent race tread pattern in the 2.4 size. Better all around design IMO.

For outright grip, the Hans Dampf is the best 29er tire I've used. Unfortunately the rolling resistance and rate of wear weren't so good. I was on the trail star compound and the knobs started chunking kinda quick.

Just my 2cents, most people love the ardent!
    What sort of air pressure did you run? I find this tire to need low low pressure and I was not a believer until I ran mine at less than 25psi. This is on my XC bike. I chose not to run them on my DH bike knowing I would need more air to keep from pounding a rim.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I was running around 20 PSI or so. It was just the edge knobs were too tall and skinny. I think they need to be a little bit more stout. I think the fact that they are kinda staggered adds to this.

They worked just fine most of time but I found them unpredictable in really high speed cornering.

Bring on the Down Hill!!

I was running around 20 PSI or so. It was just the edge knobs were too tall and skinny. I think they need to be a little bit more stout. I think the fact that they are kinda staggered adds to this.

They worked just fine most of time but I found them unpredictable in really high speed cornering.
    Yeah that's about what I run now too.
    I never hit any truly"high speed " corners on my XC bike. Nothing 20mph or above on my local single track. 99% of it would be less than 10mph.
    Interesting observation rusty. When the snow clears I might have to try out some higher speed trails/corners and see if I still like them under those conditions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yzedf View Post
    Got the Ikon today and mounted it up. Much easier than the Kenda Nevegal to get the bead to seat. Too bad the snow is knee deep in spots still

Just waiting on the Ardent to come in.
    Did you go with the 2.4 Ardent front / 2.35 Ikon rear?

Also curious about this combo for summer hardpack...I've seen the Ikon 2.35 and it's a very large volume tire.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    What casing are you guys getting for the Ikon. Now there seems to be a few casings (4?) TR, non TR, EXO, Non-EXO.

I had no problem seating up the old version of the exo 2.35 last year and I'm wondering if the TR bead or casing is a signifcant improvement.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jrlyons21 View Post
    Did you go with the 2.4 Ardent front / 2.35 Ikon rear?

Also curious about this combo for summer hardpack...I've seen the Ikon 2.35 and it's a very large volume tire.
    Yes. Of course there is over a foot of snow on the ground and more coming this weekend so all I have is a hard pack snow on dirt road ride on them so far.

What casing are you guys getting for the Ikon. Now there seems to be a few casings (4?) TR, non TR, EXO, Non-EXO.

I had no problem seating up the old version of the exo 2.35 last year and I'm wondering if the TR bead or casing is a signifcant improvement.
    My rear Ikon 2.35 is not TR and I was able to mount by hand and the bead set the first try under 30psi (I'm not running tubeless during the winter) without tire lube.

The Ardent 2.4 is TR and I could not mount the tire by hand and it took tire lube and a few tries to get the bead set at just under 40psi. Trail side repair is going to suck with that tire.

Both tires were done in my kitchen with room temperature brand new tires and identical tubes and the same cheap Bell branded floor pump.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast