mtbr member
    May 2012

Idea! Little report on the new Michelin Force AM tires

I just got the Michelin Force AM 2.35" tires and though I'd write about them for anyone interested in a "I'm not a reviewer, just a random consumer" type info.

I got 2 2.35" 29er Force AM tires, i.e. their new AM tires. Bought em from Probikeshop.

Spec check:

First I weighted them. Claimed weight: 770 +- 5%

Tire 1: 790gr (2.6% above)
    Tire 2: 810gr (5.2% above)

Second, I mounted them. Casing width is about the same as knob width, both of which are, on my 24mm inner width rims:

Tire 1: 2.271 inches (3.4% narrower)
    Tired 2: 2.279 inches (3.1% narrower)

NOTE: Pictures where I measure the tire (with free socks view) are before ride, the measure above are after ride though I did not picture that. Ie measure above is more accurate.

For comparison purpose, their 2.25" wild grip (older tire) is precisely 2.25 inches on the same rims.

Ride check:
    I ride what'd you'd call something between trail and enduro. I'm just your casual week-end mtb'er that likes to push it a bit, but can't clear 2meter gaps ;P (I'm scared enough with 1 meter)

Roll:
    They roll well on pavement, gravel, and semi-tall grass, which is nice. Better than the wild grip and better than most tires of that class. I take it the center knobs are small enough and the side knobs don't stick out too much. They also roll as well as my Hutchinson taipan.

Grip while cornering:
    The grip is alright for that kind of profile. More grip than the taipan obviously, and what seems to be slightly less than the wild grip.
    The thing I noticed the most is that I did lose traction on the front wheel more easily in loose terrain, and in fact more easily than I expected - BUT - it was really easy to recover. This seems to be because their center knobs are quite low profile but the side knob are quite big, which is nice.
    That said, I think I'd use the Force AM as a back tire and a more aggressive tire in the front because of that, while I like the predictive loss of grip, I like having as much grip as possible in the front even if that means worse rolling resistance even more.

Grip while climbing:
    The rear tire grip is adequate basically. Better than expected. Won't get you up muddy terrain but will get you up any dry lose terrain with minimum traction loss. Nice.

Conclusion:
    I'm surprised at weight and width. Does not match what reviewers got. Does not match my expectations, specially for the new price (used to get their tires for 30-35E, these are 50E). Also surprised by the disparity between the 2 tires.

I reached out to Michelin via Twitter, no reply - I'll give em a call/email to clarify if this is normal or if they want to replace my tires.

I'm happy with the tire as a rear tire though - its probably the best rear tire I've used for what I like to ride (i.e. a wide range of things that include serious climbs, and a good deal of flat but grass-y terrain, etc. where too aggressive tires are like huge anchors, but too XCish tires can't get you up there.)
    I think I'll switch back to something more aggressive in the front though, maybe even the Wild AM that is coming out soon, just out of curiosity.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Little report on the new Michelin Force AM tires-image-20170413_181912.jpg  

Little report on the new Michelin Force AM tires-image-20170413_180317.jpg  

Little report on the new Michelin Force AM tires-image-20170413_175519.jpg  

Little report on the new Michelin Force AM tires-image-20170413_174020.jpg  

Little report on the new Michelin Force AM tires-image-20170413_173947.jpg  

Little report on the new Michelin Force AM tires-image-20170413_171656.jpg  

Little report on the new Michelin Force AM tires-image-20170413_171537.jpg  

Little report on the new Michelin Force AM tires-image-20170413_170530.jpg  

Last edited by boubla; 04-17-2017 at 05:34 PM. Reason: weight spec in %

Moderator Moderator
    Nice report !!

damned rocks...
    This is what a report shows be.

Some reviewers should learn from you, namely magazines and online forums .

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks for the report, which was basically a review. I'm not sure what Michelin is trying to achieve with these tires, especially since they are called Force AM and are in reality neither force, nor AM. I think their new Force range tires are a step backwards from the very solid Wild R2 range ones. Does anyone know if the Wild R2 range tires are about to be discontinued now that the new tires are being released?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Nice review!

mtbr member
    Excellent review.

mtbr member
    Try to measure them in a couple of weeks, most tires gain a couple of mm.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    So far both tires have retained the same size (as in second measurement that is in bold in the post).

Also did not receive a reply from Michelin yet, except for an email stating that this has been forwarded to an engineer and hoping I'm happy with the solution (i.e. my understanding is that this will be the only communication, since its been 2 weeks, but who knows).

Not too happy about the size/communication. So far, few weeks in though, I would retain my original take on the tire. Good rear tire, not as good front tire for my style of riding.

mtbr member
    Since they are undersized by that much I would send them back for a refund.

The only reason these tire companies feel comfortable misadvertising their tire sizes is because we let them get away with it.

It isn't hard for the designer to figure out what his bead to bead needs to be for an advertised width. No excuse.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I did contact Michelin and they did not do anything about it so far.. they barely replied as per previous forum message. I bought these in France (not available in the US at time of purchase) so no refund possible.

That said they're good as 2.25" tires (theyre a little bit bigger than that) - but yes i expected better communication from them and a tire that's closer to spec. Wondering if anyone getting them in the future will have a different experience. On paid reviewer's pictures the size appeared OK. But unlike me, they don't pay for gear, and they get stuff the companies make sure will get a good review from them hehe.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Ok i tried something: i let the tires seat slightly underpressure with load on the bike for a week - result is rear tire is now 2.3" and front 2.29"
    Not 2.35" and i suspect they're as streched as it gets (and I hope they dont retract! ;-) but closer

Also still no reply from Michelin so I get they're just ignoring it now, lol. So yeah, good tires overall, not great accuracy in size, and crap support.