mtbr member
    Dec 2006

A little give in my seat post

Niner is promoting there Carbon seat post as having enough flex to take the edge off of chatter and small bumps when seated on a HT. Does anybody ou there have experience with the Niner or any other seat post where you really noticed a difference?
    Last edited by rideandshoot; 12-09-2012 at 05:23 PM. Reason: better title

mtbr member
    No experience on a Niner post, but I do think generally ti or carbon posts have more flex than aluminum. That said a 27.2 post will be more forgiving than a 31.6 post. I ride a 27.2 ti post on my hardtail.

AOK
    mtbr member
    I have the "regular" (non-RDO) niner post on my hard tail. It is definitely more forgiving than the Thomson it replaced. Not a life changing difference, but you can feel a difference.

mtbr member
    I have a 27.2 ti post on my hardtail also and it is alot differant than my old hardtail with the 31.6 al post. I just saw that Ritchey has a new "trail" line that they say the seatpost has some flex.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Check this out. It's about road posts, but the general rules apply to MTB too.

From the pages of Velo: Getting the most from your post

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Compared to aluminum 31.6mm or 30.9mm posts I have used, yes, I noticed the difference. Similar to using a 27.2mm post with a shim. If you don't like the idea of using a shim, this would be an alternative.

mtbr member
    I also have the non RDO Niner carbon post. It is most definitely easier on the derriere especially teamed with the Ti rails on my Ergon seat.
    2011 Niner EMD
    Wounds Heal, Chicks dig scars, Glory lasts FOREVER!

Plan #123-D
    Spend another $50 and go with the Eriksen Sweetpost in a 27.2 with setback. General rule of thumb: ti post with at least 250mm above the collar and with setback will give you the most amount of "cush" you can get from a hardtail. I noticed a world of difference when I went from a Thomson to this set up. Plus, Eriksen's come with a lifetime warranty, not the 2 year that Niner's come with.
    C'mon lets go for a whirl.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rideandshoot View Post
    Niner is promoting there Carbon seat post as having enough flex to take the edge off of chatter and small bumps when seated on a HT. Does anybody ou there have experience with the Niner or any other seat post where you really noticed a difference?
    I did not notice a different going from an Al to a CF post on a HT a few years back. Maybe it did "take the edge off", sort of like smoothing a burr on a hammer someone is whacking me with.

I imagine it would make a bigger difference on a road bike, sort of like it does with handlebars.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    I have a thread about this in General I think...search my name. Thinking of getting one too for the same reason.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I think the whole deal with the RDO post from Niner is that it is designed to have flex in it. I think they refer to it as "unstiff" carbon, don't quote me on that though. Not just that it flexes because it is purely carbon. There's a vid on the Niner site about it.

Cannondale has a similar post approach with the 27.2 SAVE post. It actually has an ovalized section towards the top end and is stated to flex up to 40mm.

To compare, the RDO post is supposed to flex to around 8-10mm at a particular weight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have the RDO post, it provides a very noticeable amount of flex.

It takes out a lot of trail chatter and makes the ride less jarring when in the saddle, although bumps are still there, it takes the edge off them big time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    ^^^Awesome. My hopes for one of these sorts of posts is that it really helps with the sort of bumps and dips that jst sort of nudge you out of the saddle and screw with your cadence while you're cranking along.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    If you're considering the niner rdo you should get the syntace hi-flex. It's the same post with a 10 year warranty and crash replacement discount.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Nice. Thanks, think I'll check that out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by aperzigian View Post
    Spend another $50 and go with the Eriksen Sweetpost in a 27.2 with setback. General rule of thumb: ti post with at least 250mm above the collar and with setback will give you the most amount of "cush" you can get from a hardtail. I noticed a world of difference when I went from a Thomson to this set up. Plus, Eriksen's come with a lifetime warranty, not the 2 year that Niner's come with.
    Look at that velonews article linked above. The Moots posts did not do great in damping or flex, I was surprised. Should be almost the same as the Eriksen would have done. Not saying it's not nice, just not the most comfortable, probably.

Not sure, but I would think outright flex is more important than damping on an MTB.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have the RDO seat post. It has a very noticeable amount of flex. I was pretty surprised by the difference on my first ride. I had a Thompson previously. Almost felt like my tires were low.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks for the input.... I'm checking all of the suggestions

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    For flex, you want a thin post. 27.2 anything over that will be stiffer than the same post in 27.2.

Nothing wrong with a Thudbuster...

mtbr member
    ^^^ Agree on this. My Stumpy's OEM post is just an aluminum one but it flexes a lot just by the nature of its diameter and that I am almost at its max limit out of the frame. I can't imagine how much stiffer a 30.9 or 31.6 seatpost must feel!
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Carbon with flex? Sounds like cold fire or hot ice.
    I had a ti post that flexed so much it bobbed like a poorly tuned single pivot from 5 years ago.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post
    Carbon with flex? Sounds like cold fire or hot ice.
    I had a ti post that flexed so much it bobbed like a poorly tuned single pivot from 5 years ago.
    Definitely. CF can be designed to be stiff or very flexible depending on the lay up and resin system. It will also flex without suffering fatigue like metal. I thought the RDO looked cool because you could design the lay up to flex directionally which is tough to do in metal