mtbr member
    Dec 2017

List of fully sealed tubeless rims?

Hi. I'm looking for a list of fully sealed tubeless rims. Ones that do not require rim tape or a rim strip.
    Rims such as the Enve M rims with their protective rim strip I would consider fully sealed, as the protective rim strip is an integral part of the rim.
    Not interested in the generic replies of "Mavic, and Shimano do fully sealed rims."
    I have looked into both of their latest offerings and it seems like Shimano do not have any mtb wheels that are fully sealed now. Mavic does not list any fully sealed rims for my region, and I can't find any current models from them for all mountain or trail use.

Stone Jack Baller
    Crank brothers Cobalt 3. I had a red and black set. They were beautiful.

mtbr member
    Bontrager TLR rims have molded plastic strips similar to Enve: Specific to the rim, includes ridges to retain the tire's bead and extend up under the bead hook. The also have molded in feature to seal against the o-ring using their tubeless stems.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Mavic either invented or were the first to patent the fully sealed full on UST rim. Even they abandoned it.

Since this would otherwise be a very short discussion of about 2 or 3 rims; why? Tape is incredibly reliable and proven.

mtbr member
    Molded rim strips are even more incredibly reliable and proven. Tape sux by comparison, and most all tubeless issues are related to tape.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Lone Rager. Thanks for saying it before I had to. Tape does suck.

One Pivot. There are more than 2 or 3 manufacturers using methods other than rim tape, and at least 10 different rims.
    Rim tape is not incredibly reliable and it is proven to be problematic.

You ask me why? Because just recently I have had 2 flat tires due to punctures in the rim tape. Not installation error. But due to the fact that rim tape is incredibly easy to damage. It just so happens to be placed in a location that is fairly well protected.
    Both punctures were from rocks. 1 dinged the rim. The other was barely a hard hit at all, just an unlucky strike.
    I also just recently damaged the rim tape while installing a very tight Michelin tire. The first time i have damaged rim tape by installing tires.

I'm surprised that no company makes molded tubeless rim strips for other manufacturers populor rims.
    I think by another 5 or so years most manufacturers will move to molded rim strips to seal their rims. I presume that Enve has patented their rim strip that also doubles as a rim and pinch flat protection device.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Mavic either invented or were the first to patent the fully sealed full on UST rim. Even they abandoned it.

Since this would otherwise be a very short discussion of about 2 or 3 rims; why? Tape is incredibly reliable and proven.
    Have a new set of 2018 Mavic wheels that are completely sealed, they have not abandoned it.

mtbr member
    You can order custom Chinese carbon rims sans bed holes from Carbonfan for example and probably others.

I almost did this with a recent wheelset build from them, but was convinced through the forum chatter that holeless hassles are worse than tape hassles.

Sent from my iFern using Tapatalk while not riding, dammit!

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by KoolGrandWizardLuke View Post
    rim tape is incredibly easy to damage.
    Fortunately I've never personally suffered rim tape failure but was on a ride once where someone broke a spoke, the loose end of which punctured the rim tape. They installed a tube and booted the spoke hole. PITA.

My rims employ tape and this doesn't bother me (yet) but all else being equal I would prefer to own rims that don't require tape.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I'd trade tape for plugs, but really? Kapton takes two minutes to apply and weighs nothing. If there's maintenance required, I haven't found it. How are you damaging tape from the outside?

On my rims, the tape runs down the center channel. It's 2/3 to 1/2 the internal width of the rim, the tires don't touch it. Tape that crawls up the bead walls is a legacy of pre-tubeless rims; the idea was to thicken and increase the friction in that area to keep the tires in place. Moderns rims don't need it.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by KoolGrandWizardLuke View Post
    When improperly installed, tape does suck.
    Fixed.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by alexdi View Post
    I'd trade tape for plugs, but really? Kapton takes two minutes to apply and weighs nothing.

How do you get a consistent cut/melt through the valve hole with kapton?

I've moved away from using it because the cut/melt often comes out imperfectly. I've had customers tell me that after a few rides the tape actually broke at the valve and their tire deflated.

Otherwise yeah -- it's cheap and weighs nothing.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Fixed.
    Exactly. It only takes a tiny bit more effort to do it right. It takes a LOT more effort to do it wrong multiple times.