mtbr member

Limited options for 29er rim brakers?

So my rear wheel is not staying true after a crash some time ago and I've decided it's best to lace up a new rim. I can't seem to find any Rhyno Lite 29" 32h (machined sidewall) wheels anywhere, and was wonder if there was a good equivalent that anyone could recommend. I ride a rigid Karate Monkey on double track and single track, with terrain varying from soft and dusty to rocks and hard compact dirt. I'd prefer something close to the width of the Rhyno Light, which was something like 28mm. If it's any consolation, this will be a rear wheel. A smidge skinnier would be fine. I've tried disc brakes and wasn't a huge fan. I'll try them again, I'm sure, but until I have the money to dish out on a decent set, I'm going to stick with my trusty V-Brakes. Ideally, I'd like to spend no more than $75 for the rim. The Rhyno Lite was something like $35 a year and a half ago.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    WTB Dual Duty FR 29er rims
    Universal Cycles -- WTB Dual Duty FR Rim
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Dear Sam,

I'm in the same situation. One of these days, very soon, we will not be able to find ANY wide 700c rims with a machined brake surface. Kind of like a rotary telephone or Window 98....Maybe there should be a sticky of the few remaining rims.
    WTB-Dual Duty
    Salsa
    old Bontrager
    Velocity

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogii View Post
    Dear Sam,

I'm in the same situation. One of these days, very soon, we will not be able to find ANY wide 700c rims with a machined brake surface. Kind of like a rotary telephone or Window 98....Maybe there should be a sticky of the few remaining rims.
    WTB-Dual Duty
    Salsa
    old Bontrager
    Velocity
    At least not the heavier kinda rims, like RhynoLites.

But folks are still going to produce 700c XC-grade kinda rims as long as tandem road bikes still use rim brakes.

I have some Sun CR18s on my cross bike (and are way overkill, even for CX). Those are still available for pretty cheap.

But... keep in mind that there is a reason why mountain bikes moved away from rim brakes. Is there a frame you are married to that does not have disc tabs?

mtbr member
    No, I have a Karate Monkey and initially ran it with BB7's. I found them to be more of an annoyance than a solid, reliable product, and thus traded them for some XTR M951 V-Brakes that I've outfitted with KoolStop Mountain pads and Jagwire Ripstop. I find the combo to be big on power, feel, and modulation. The only gripe is that my hands get a bit tired after lots of downhill. Where I ride in California, I rarely come across water/mud to the extent that it would make riding with rim brakes dangerous/useless.

Back to the wheels...

I bought 4 new spokes, switched some of the problematic ones around on the wheel (valve hole and joint) and trued it to 90%. I'm going to put 50-100 miles on it and tighten up the tension, see if it works out. Laterally it is fine, but radially it has a little lump. I think it could work itself out. We'll see.

Being that it was machine-built, it is probably a good thing that I de-tensioned and re-trued the wheel anyway.

Just in case I want another rim eventually, have any of you found the Mavic A319/A719's to be useful as a 29er rim? 25mm width is pretty good, and they are cost effective with a nice machined braking surface.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    WTB Products Wheels Rims 29er Dual Duty FR 29er
    This rim is $31. 28mm width..
    SLX brake will be one finger.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have the Mavic A 719's on my cross check.They are listed as a bombproof touring rim on the mavic site. Beefy and durable on my commuter, bad roads, some dirt road and singletrack use. Have not flogged them on true off road use, but they should work fine.

FKA Malibu412
    Not really all that limited on lower end choices as you can see and as you shop around. It's the middle and upper grade machined surface hoops that are more trouble to locate as most prefer disk brake wheels.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

This place needs an enema
    WTB DDFR is closest to your Rhyno Lite's.

Also worth considering DT TK540's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by arresnips View Post
    The world has now become an caught web of interconnections It is merely wonderful to enjoy how huge topographical ranges may be essentially traversed in a matter of seconds The primary international links are those of economic and education Every facet of lifestyle in a choice of the strong or maybe in the roundabout style is somewhere connected with business enterprise It's not necessarily that business is completely mercenary, what is small business to just one is usually appreciation completely to another nevertheless obtain happiness to another Therefore the situation and significance improvements with operate is visualized For instance tunes It can be joy to particular person, eagerness and today occupation as well on the composers and enterprise to the songs superiors The songs administration is a undertaking of excellent burden In reality audio has in the present occasions also turn into way of gaining for your songs your local library

The music libraries ended up being mostly produced with all the reason of holding new music for the popular music devotees, who might find a hassle-free accessibility large collection of arrangements It, as suggested by its name became a library or maybe annex for any secure safe-keeping of remote, unusual and preferred tune quantities Many music the two old and present perfectly found on the popular music collections The music accessible in the song selection are found to particular folks That's to suggest the individuals the stockpile other not for participants have a very constrained get to or access to the audio within

The music selection however acts its typical duty now bundled with some new ones jumptotop com]pozycjonowanie stron
    The tunes your local library now also continue to keep qualified music the legal rights of which can be of the collection or respected musician On requirement the tunes might be hired seem to the specific functions with suitable read write in return of enough payment The amount of money is then sent out involving the musician and eth collection much like deal The songs guidance on the flip side relates to the gathering and part from the proper new music to your appropriate spot whether well overall performance or simply a picture

The background music guidance is generally carried frontward by way of the audio operators The songs administrators will be in watch out for this:

The knowledge pertaining to submitting Since the negotiations on terms are done from the audio inspector for this reason it is necessary that they know the ins and outs of dependant upon the posting firm
    Critical tunes It can be but noticeable that every the events involving new music not one of them it while in the oral form The inspector traces the fundamental cause and ensures that the mandatory content is received In truth the crucial little bit of an individual arrangement may as well be accessible within the popular music your local library
    The music activity owner should likewise have in mind the fees of which the dialogue come about as a way as a way to create a worthwhile offer
    In this particular years of globalization every facet of company looks like it's connected with all the other The music activity oversight as well as the tunes your local library are no exclusion Even so that is simply with the history can it be is this interconnection that opens up new possibilities to equally find out and increase Without this the industry might have extensive past away of stagnation

Put down the crack pipe dude
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0