mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Lightish non-carbon 2x AM crankset?

Edit - I'm an idiot - this is the wrong forum - would a mod mind moving it to the shifters/cranks section?

As I add components to my bike it's not lost on me that I need to 'add lightness' else where so it doesn't bloat. I'm particularly looking at moving parts, and while I've traditionally been a 3x chainring kind of guy I don't see needing the big gear once I have a dedicated XC bike.

I currently have a Shimano M552, and I was thinking of going with a more up market Shimano with hollowtech cranks, but I'm open to other options. I don't mind carbon bits in the chainrings, but I don't want the cranks themselves to be carbon as I'm clumsy out there and my cranks tend to get a lot of pedal strikes. I'm also not looking to go XX1 as I'm just not in that kind of shape.

Any suggestions would be great.
    2014 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2003 Gary Fisher X-Caliber - Mid rebuild

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I think you have the right idea. The hollowtech XT cranks are lighter than many carbon options and are inexpensive at around $160 for a 2x option. I can't speak to strength, but mine have taken a pretty good beating in my first full year of mistake filled riding. I've tried to find an excuse to upgrade mine and really don't see a better option at a reasonable cost(<$300).

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    My XT cranks have been bullet proof. I can't tell you how many times I've literally landed on the ends of them, full force of falling bike through the crank arm on to a rock, only to come away having lost some paint.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks so much for the feedback guys - the XT's do look like the right fit. Do you guys know what the difference between Silver and Black (other than color, obviously) is on the site? I find the arrangement of their products there a little confusing and they don't clearly spell out the advantages of one product over another.
    2014 Trek Remedy 8 29er

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I usually look at seller's sites instead of the manufacturer for the pertinent data, as it's usually simpler, but no difference except color after I checked. XT FC-M785 is the current 2x model, M780 the 3x.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks everyone for all the help here - I think I'll go with the XT's, though I did have one other question - does anyone have any experience with SLX? The reviews seem to indicate they're almost as good and there's only a 10 gram weight difference.
    2014 Trek Remedy 8 29er

PVGNA PRO PATRIA
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Mumphry View Post
    Thanks everyone for all the help here - I think I'll go with the XT's, though I did have one other question - does anyone have any experience with SLX? The reviews seem to indicate they're almost as good and there's only a 10 gram weight difference.
    Unless you just want XT stuff I'd go with SLX. They are just as light, look better, have the same BB and are cheaper!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Mumphry View Post
    does anyone have any experience with SLX? The reviews seem to indicate they're almost as good and there's only a 10 gram weight difference.

For my money SLX are the best cranks you can get; factoring everything including price. As you've found, they are cheaper than XT, weigh about the same, and the slight additional weight comes from a better-wearing chainring. The only real difference is cosmetic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I do want to save as much weight as I realistically can without going nuts (and really, the only other places I plan to do it is carbon bars and a 2nd lightweight wheelset) but it does sound like SLX is the way to go. The only area of confusion for me is that I'm seeing XT's listed cheaper than SLX some places... assuming price is close or identical would you say SLX is still preferable?
    2014 Trek Remedy 8 29er

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The only difference in the black and silver XT cranks is that if you ride in wet/muddy climates the paint scuffs up (and shows through silver alloy) and *looks* worse and more evident on the black version .
    Easily remedied with a set of crank skins or similar if you're that concerned about looking good for longer .
    The SLX weight penalty is negligible and probably is outweighed by the harder wearing longer lasting rings (depending on how hard you are on components)
    So basically it boils down to bling bragging rites of the XT versus the longevity of the SLX .
    Personally I would go for the cheapest sale item and put the saved greenbacks towards beer or carbon :-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I've been seeing the XT's going for around $135 on a couple of websites. If you can get SLX's for around $100, then go that way. If about the same price, I'd go with looks.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The older SLX double M665 seems to be the predecessor to the Zee crank. It was modeled off of the 9 speed Saint stuff so you get those features, steel pedal inserts, removable bash, and 36/22 gearing. Don't be concern that they are labeled 9 speed, they work just fine in a 10 drivetrain. I am not sure of the prices the cranks else where but Bluesky has had them for $130ish for some time now. They drop to $100 sometimes.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by tuskenraider View Post
    I think you have the right idea. The hollowtech XT cranks are lighter than many carbon options and are inexpensive at around $160 for a 2x option. I can't speak to strength, but mine have taken a pretty good beating in my first full year of mistake filled riding. I've tried to find an excuse to upgrade mine and really don't see a better option at a reasonable cost(<$300).
    Second that.

I have never heard of anybody breaking a Shimano Hollowtech2 crank. I don't see any real reason for anybody to get freeride cranks, unless you really are doing 20' drops.

Okay, some folks fry the bottom brackets, but that is mostly due to bearing contamination, or too much preload.

mtbr member
    The SLX's weight is almost the same as the XT.

Weighed without rings.

2012 XT and SLX cranks weighed w/o rings
    Cervelo S2
    Specialized Carve Pro
    Pivot Mach 5

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    This is all great guys; thanks. It seems like the SLX is tougher and generally cheaper while not being that much heavier, so I'll likely go with that unless I see an insanely cheap XT set.

Here's one last question - I've got a pressed fit BB - will I be able to reuse it or do I need to special order a PF BB or some kind of adapter?
    2014 Trek Remedy 8 29er

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Gotcha - thanks!
    2014 Trek Remedy 8 29er

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Unless I'm missing something, you absolutely do not need a new or different BB. Moving to a new SLX will require the exact same BB -- BB92 -- as your extant M552.

You do not need to replace the BB when you change out the crank, unless the new crank you are installing has a different spindle diameter that requires such a change.

Also, note that pressfit BBs are not designed to be removed and re-installed. (Hopefully, they will one day...)