Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Light, high volume, tubeless-ready, low rolling resistance front tire - suggestions?

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Earthpig 
#1 ·
Just replaced the Reba RLT Ti fork on my One 9 with a Niner carbon fork. I've been running a Specialized Captain S-Works 2.0 tire with the Reba, but would like something a little bigger with higher volume to run with the rigid fork. Still want to save some weight (I think the Captain is about 670g?) and keep the rolling resistance down. Primary (nearly exclusive) use is very dry, loose over hardpack to hardpack high desert trails. Running a Stans rim with sealant, so I'd like to stay tubeless ready.Thinking something in the 2.2 - 2.3 size. Gimme options.

#3 · (Edited)
The reviews for the Rocket Ron (in the tire review section) aren't great - looks to be possibly sketchy on loose over hardpack? Plus, I think I'm a bit too "hefty" for that tire at about 185 lbs. 525~grams may crumple under my girth.

What about the 2.25 snakeskin/TL Nobby Nic? Seems to be about the equal in weight to the 2.0 Captain and less than the 2.2 Captain.

#6 ·
Looking more at the Racing Ralph in either the 2.25 or 2.35. Is it worth going the snakeskin sidewall route? I've not had too many problems with sidewall tears around here.

Also looking at the Specialized Fast Trak 2.2 - 650g. I've run the Fast Trak LK on a 29'er hardtail (front and rear) in the past and found that they gripped way better than they appeared that they should.

#7 · (Edited)
I test rode an RDO last Friday that had the Racing Ralph front and rear - I thought the traction was good as was the volume. But, I can't stomach paying $85 retail for a tire. I ended up purchasing a Fast Trak 29 x 2.2. Mounted it up last night and I have to say that it's the smallest 2.2 I've seen, which is surprising for a Specialized tire (which are typically high volume.) It looks and measures out smaller than the 2.0 Captain I had mounted before. Oh well, live and learn. Maybe it will expand a tad after being mounted and ridden a couple of times.

EDIT - Upon further review, the new 2.2 Fast Trak is actually a smaller volume tire than my old Fast Trak LK 2.0. :mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.