Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Light, Fast and Knobby. Tire Recommendations?

I'm coming from a weight weenie background, currently running Maxxis IKON EXOs on my Spearfish.

Looking to go to something that is significantly knobbier up front, for a bit more cornering confidence. I'm running 29x2.2 trail kings on my SS bike, and loving the knobs, but hating the weight.

I'm thinking maybe Nobby Nics...or even Hans Dampf...in a 2.2 or 2.3. Yes, I've searched. I realize fast, light and knobby are self-excluding, but thought I'd ask...tire recommendations? Ardent? Something else?

Tubeless is a must...they'll be run with ENVE 29XC rims.

29er
    Apr 2010
    love my nobby nic in the front

mtbr member
    May 2010
    2.25 or 2.35?

29er
    Apr 2010
    Mine is a 2.25

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

WTB Bronson RACE

Don't know the weight but they do feel light and very knobby

mtbr member
    Rocket Ron or nobby nic?

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by lawfarm View Post
    I'm coming from a weight weenie background, currently running Maxxis IKON EXOs on my Spearfish.

Looking to go to something that is significantly knobbier up front, for a bit more cornering confidence. I'm running 29x2.2 trail kings on my SS bike, and loving the knobs, but hating the weight.

I'm thinking maybe Nobby Nics...or even Hans Dampf...in a 2.2 or 2.3. Yes, I've searched. I realize fast, light and knobby are self-excluding, but thought I'd ask...tire recommendations? Ardent? Something else?

Tubeless is a must...they'll be run with ENVE 29XC rims.
    Lots of choices for a front tire to give you a bit more bite than the Ikon 2.2. Yes, the Nobby Nic 2.25 (plenty big and plenty of bite) would do it. The Hans Dampf is starting to get into overkill area for a Spearfish and XC riding. Ardent 2.25 LUST version so you can run super low psi and get monster grip up front. A Racing Ralph 2.25 or 2.35 or 2.4 up front is a nice front tire which I find has a bit more bite than the smaller Ikon 2.2. The IRD FireXCPro is actually a nice biting front tire that would pair well with an Ikon in the rear. It's often overlooked on the 29"er forum, but really is a quality tire.

BB

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Ok, I'll try the 2.25 Nobby Nic.

Performance folding or Evolution folding?

Evolution is heavier, but says tubeless and snakeskin sidewalls. That sounds right-ish?

I'm with stupid
    Yes you really want the snake skin sidewalls if you plan onn running tubeless. Plus the EVO line give you a better compound rubber then the performance.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Tried literally everything this year trying to stay light but get some real grip. WTB Bronson Race for me was hands down better than all the light fast rolling stuff I tried (tested 6 tires). It rolls way faster than a NN but has nearly the same grip. Just my .02

mtbr member
    May 2011
    yo could always go for a tubeless setup using your existing TK's I'm told it's quite possible. Probably cost less too.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'm running the Trail Kings tubeless right now...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'm running a Racing Ralph 2.4 up front with a Race King 2.2 in the back. The Ralph has significantly more grip, nice in New England winter conditions.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by tws_andrew View Post
    Tried literally everything this year trying to stay light but get some real grip. WTB Bronson Race for me was hands down better than all the light fast rolling stuff I tried (tested 6 tires). It rolls way faster than a NN but has nearly the same grip. Just my .02
    Are those your own personal observations, or do you have tire test data to support the rolling resistance/grip between the NN and the Bronson?

I know the Wolverine in 26 x 2.2 scores pretty well in rolling resistance with a score of 25,9 watts. What that would translate to in 29"er format would probably be 26 and change or so. I wonder if anyone has access to any Bronson data. The Nobby Nic in 29"er X 2.25 scores a 28,5 watts in rolling resistance along with a score of 11 out of 12 in cornering grip.
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 12-28-2012 at 11:08 AM.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Ground Control?

mtbr member
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

mtbr member
    I just took off some Hans Dampf tires. I ran both rear and front ie.. trail star / pace star combo of the same tire for front and back. I don't think I've ever used a tire with more grip than the trail star compound. I just wish it didn't weight a ton. I'd look at either the Ardent or the Hans Dampf. If you want a faster rolling front tire my inclination would be to go with the Ardent 2.4.
    By the way, when my new fork is installed this week I'll be switching to a Ardent 2.4 front and Beaver 2.0 rear. That seems to be a very favorable setup around here (west TN).

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    Ground Control?
    Good tire. But knobby nic snakeskin evo is lighter and has more durable sidewalls than the GC control. It comes down to spending $55 vs 75-80.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    +1 Nobby Nic

Although they do have a SnakeSkin Version of the Rocket Ron out now so I will be picking some of those up to try.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The Tioga Psycho Genius is one hell of a grippy tire. Just a slight weight penalty at around 800 grams.

No jokey when they say they are like suction cups.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by t0pcat View Post
    I 2nd the Ignitor, not in the weight weiner cat, but still pretty dang light and has a ton of cornering traction!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Check out the captain control for a front and a ground control for the back

I recently purchased the cc in a 2.2 and the gc in a 2.1. I ride in the North Georgia mtns where we have roots, rocks, lots of climbing, etc. Also, I have just been riding them this winter so all they have seen is wet, freeze- thaw, and snowy conditions. The set up has been amazing! They have great traction, roll well, and are holding up well too. I have them minted on arch ex rims and set up tubeless. I am an aggressive rider and I like to rail corners and this setup has not let me down. I also ride a rip 9 that is set up for burly trail riding (140 fork, rampages front and back on flows) so I know how to properly thrash a set of tires. I will be considering putting another set of cc and cg in bigger sizes on the rip because of the excellent weight, durability, and rolling resistance of these tires.

mtbr member
    Seriously considering running the Rocket Ron Snakeskin front and rear once it is available. Have used the non SS RoRo on the front for a couple years. Fast and grippy.

mtbr member
    Rocket Ron is a seriously fast and grippy tubelss ready XC tyre for every condition. Digs in well in corners and offers good self cleaning properties. Held up two seasons with racing with very few flats. New design for 2013 promises more of everything. Thumbs up!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    +1 Ignitors. Been around a while and people tend to overlook them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast