mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Light Bicycle Bead Hook-Less 29er rims

A little advice from the masses would be helpful. I have a pair of the LB Bead Hook-Less 29er rims. The 22mm inside width version. 32 hole and will be using Hope 40pt XD driver rear hub and Hope 15mm thru axle front hub. Using Sapim "Strong" spokes. Wondering about the nipples to use, Aluminum of Brass? I am 200lb and ride and brake aggressively. Gave up on Alum. nipples running Arch EX rims (brass are holding up well) but thinking with the added stiffness of the LB carbon rims I can get away with Alum. Thoughts? Ideas?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Alloy is fine, so long as salt induced corrosion isn't a concern for you, AND, the wheels are built properly. The spoke lengths need to RIGHT, "close enough" will result in broken nipples.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Brass are the best choice. Enve rims have shown nipple deterioration without salt presence. Why worry for your own build with no warranty, go brass. Sapim Laser spokes will save you the weight.
    https://www.danscomp.com/products/43...ack_Spoke.html

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    brass a little more reliable I feel, regarding maintenance and durability, but alloy are OK most of the time. I just built a set using alloy and the only thing I noticed is that a stick in the spokes equals popped nipples...at least more easily popped. These days I aim to rebuild my wheels every few years if they get a lot of abuse, but if you want your wheels as is for more than that then maybe brass will serve you better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Brass are the best choice. Enve rims have shown nipple deterioration without salt presence. Why worry for your own build with no warranty, go brass. Sapim Laser spokes will save you the weight.
    https://www.danscomp.com/products/43...ack_Spoke.html
    After 2 years of riding my LB rims the alloy nipples were corroding. I live three miles from the ocean. Had them swapped to brass.....expensive lesson.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee View Post
    After 2 years of riding my LB rims the alloy nipples were corroding. I live three miles from the ocean. Had them swapped to brass.....expensive lesson.
    Bizzare, but then I live more like a thousand miles from the ocean. The relative humidity here hovers around 20%. I wouldn't have even considered brass nipples. They're about 3 times the weight aren't they?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee View Post
    About $6.40? Universal Cycles -- Wheelsmith Nipples LOL

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    FYI, I lived a mile from the ocean for years and every wheel I owned ended up with corroded nipples regardless of material. After the first couple years I begin lubing (coating) the nipples at regular intervals to avoid this.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Salt corrosion close to the ocean is one problem. The corrosion Enve has seen after a year or so of use is galvanic. The ocean isn't the only catalyst.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The ENVE corrosion issue was due to the use of a bare alloy nipple, with no anodizing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley View Post
    Yes......plus labor. Sorry I do not build my own wheels

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Enve used a Pillar hidden internal aluminum nipple that fit the bed in the rim. They didn't go to an anodized hidden aluminum nipple for a fix. They went to a hidden internal brass nipple that does add a little weight to the wheelset.

Here's a recap from someone with a wheelset with both nipples after 5 months.--
    "I found this thread after starting to true a rear wheel and discovering corroded nipples in my 5 month old XC wheel. They were not as bad as those pictured in this thread, but definitely producing lots of oxide. The most corroded nipples were near the tape overlap (stans?), and the wheelset has been in the NW east side of the cascades....I called Enve and they said, send em back for R&R. I then opened the front and found brass nipples. So these were built during the crossover. The front nipples look pristene. What this says to me is Enve recognized and will work the problem, Stans is suspect with the Al nipples, and the brass nipples from the same period exposure look great.
    One happy camper (after the fix)! Great wheels as those who have ridden them know, and Enve is so good to work with."

ENVE wheel nipple corrosion.

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Salt corrosion close to the ocean is one problem. The corrosion Enve has seen after a year or so of use is galvanic. The ocean isn't the only catalyst.
    This^

Aluminum+bare carbon+ ANY moisture=electron swappin'. Trek's old aluminum lugged carbon frames used to have the same thing happen, BB would corrode.

Anodized nipples will help, as long as the anodization stays intact. Brass is the safe bet.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/