Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    After tonight I took the narrow bars off. When I had to correct from sliding I overcorrected with the narrow bars. Maybe it was just because it was dark and I haven't been on my bike in awhile, but I'm going to try the wider bars. I put my salsa bars on that are 25 inches wide. So I went from a 22 3/4 inch bar to a 22 and now a 25. We will see how these work. I just think my handling skills were off tonight, but I've been wanting to try the wide bars again anyways and now is the best time to do that.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

The White Jeff W
    Inspired by an Anthony Sloan photo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your bar! All things bar related-32250_1467202479588_1865996_n.jpg  

Last edited by jeffw-13; 01-21-2013 at 06:30 AM.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    After tonight I took the narrow bars off. When I had to correct from sliding I overcorrected with the narrow bars. Maybe it was just because it was dark and I haven't been on my bike in awhile, but I'm going to try the wider bars. I put my salsa bars on that are 25 inches wide. So I went from a 22 3/4 inch bar to a 22 and now a 25. We will see how these work. I just think my handling skills were off tonight, but I've been wanting to try the wide bars again anyways and now is the best time to do that.
    25" is still pretty narrow. I have 720mm on one bike and 660 on another. When I ride the one with the 660s it feels very narrow. My 720s are perfect for me.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    10deg flat Ritchey Comp, 660mm wide, Easton Haven 100mm flat stem. I know a lot prefer wider, but for me it's perfect. Maybe its the old-school in me when bars were way narrow in the late 90s.

Just Ride!
    breckenridge, nice classic Dragon, to go with the classic width!

mtbr member
    800mm of goodness.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your bar! All things bar related-image.jpg  

2014 Specialized Enduro S-Works
    2012 Specialized SJ FSR Elite
    2012 DB Scapegoat
    2012 Canfield Yelli Screamy 25.8lbs

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGK View Post
    Tried finding a bar thread, didn't look to hard but didn't see one.

Anyways what kinda bars you riding on your 29er, and for what style of riding?
    Use carbonal mtb riser carbon handlebar 05 (142g), http://www.carbonality.com/handle-bars/mtb/bar-5.html , carbon stem 02 (140g).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your bar! All things bar related-mtb-bar.jpg  

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    25" is still pretty narrow. I have 720mm on one bike and 660 on another. When I ride the one with the 660s it feels very narrow. My 720s are perfect for me.
    635mm from 560mm is a lot wider for me, but I'm still not close to any of those guys running 800mm... I have another 690mm bar that I may try, but I think I will be happy here. I have a lot of narrow places and I get extremely close to some trees. If I wear a camelbak it will hit a hit in this one spot every time I go past it. I clipped a tree and had a partial tear on my A/C joint in my shoulder, but that was my own fault.
    Last edited by Rod; 01-22-2013 at 08:52 AM.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Interesting comment about handling and overcorrection. Also the comment (by somebody else) about lung capacity was something I haven't thought of.

Seems quite some range here. 25inch is 635mm and somebody else said 800mm is ideal.

I'm actually considering cutting off at least half an inch each end on my new 29er, so if stock is 700mm, it would be 675mm for me.

I wonder if rider's arm-shoulder-torso proportions got more to do with it than skill.

beater
    Chromag OSX on both bikes.

760mm Black Chrome
    Name:  PrimeBar.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  55.2 KB

and 780mm purple ano
    Lets see your bar! All things bar related-yscockpit.jpg
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by solidass View Post
    Interesting comment about handling and overcorrection. Also the comment (by somebody else) about lung capacity was something I haven't thought of.

Seems quite some range here. 25inch is 635mm and somebody else said 800mm is ideal.

I'm actually considering cutting off at least half an inch each end on my new 29er, so if stock is 700mm, it would be 675mm for me.

I wonder if rider's arm-shoulder-torso proportions got more to do with it than skill.
    Your body proportions will certainly impact what width bar will feel best for you, also the level of sweep and rise that the bars have. As bars get wider than your shoulders, they need to have increasingly more sweep to have your hands contact them the same as they would a flat bar at shoulder width. What feels best to you will depend, but a weird bar width/sweep for your body can cause ulnar nerve pinching and numb fingers.

Wider bars give you better leverage to muscle around obstacles, but can be a genuine risk in tighter trails - trees etc. In the end its what feels best to you - try riding with your grips and controls shifted inwards for a while before cutting them and see how it feels.

mtbr member
    Trying a DH stem and a riser bar in an attempt to shorten the cockpit a little on my Stache. Both are cheap ebay finds. I may get a better bar if I decide I like this setup. I find my self really liking the solid feel of the DH stem. I know the green doesn't match. Don't really care.

mtbr member
    50mm worth of spacers? Seems a tad high no. Slap that stem!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3