NotoriousMHz

The Twins

ENVE Sweep Carbon bar (on both bikes)
    Adam Christopher
    ♦ 2015 Santa Cruz Nomad C
    ♦ 2012 Specialized Epic Expert
    ♦ 2012 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert

Dropshot Champ!

sunline 750s on a hardtail. cheap and wide, just how I like my midget hookers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Sketchy, it is on sale now for 21 dollars! U can go back and get ur $ back. It is great and strong, much lighter than my Ritchy one!!!
    The performance bikes salesperson told me that if it break, they will replace it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post

sunline 750s on a hardtail .
    More like 745mm.

Tulsa
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Try not to get impaled.
    fiddling with a new stem there, but thanks for the concern
    wherever you go, there you are

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    More like 745mm.
    Touche!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rojogonzo View Post
    fiddling with a new stem there, but thanks for the concern
    Mine's a little like that now too - it's hard to put back on if cut too short!

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    Touche!
    I think one would be hard pressed to feel a difference of 2.5mm on each side.

Did I catch a niner?
    Titec H-Bar on the fat front (camo tape)
    Bontrager Big Sweep Carbon on the race bike
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Another vote for Easton Havon Carbon.

Just Ride!
    I am running a set of Answer 20/20 Enduro bars held by a Syncros stem with Ergon GS1 grips.There have only been a couple rides with them so far but they will become favorites quickly. Universal cycles seemed to have the best deal when combined with their 10% off coupon.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    I'm in the minority. I'm rocking 560mm bars. There are narrow trees where I ride and I couldn't imagine riding with some of these bars and you probably feel the same way about my bike. There were some very tight spots when I was using my 580 bar last year.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

ballbuster

I rode narrow bars for years...

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I'm in the minority. I'm rocking 560mm bars. There are narrow trees where I ride and I couldn't imagine riding with some of these bars and you probably feel the same way about my bike. There were some very tight spots when I was using my 580 bar last year.
    ... and wondered why I had no lung capacity. I went wide, and aaaaaall opened up. I suggest trying it if you haven't before.

mtbr member
    My newest bar:
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    ... and wondered why I had no lung capacity. I went wide, and aaaaaall opened up. I suggest trying it if you haven't before.
    I felt like I was driving a tank. I may have to stick with it a little longer this time. I have my OEM bar and a salsa bar sitting around.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

Always Learning
    Narrower bars than 560mm don't seem to be limiting the lung capacity of any road rider.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Narrower bars than 560mm don't seem to be limiting the lung capacity of any road rider.
    The doping gives them super human powers; us mountain bikers need all the help we can get.

mtbr member
    Lets see your bar! All things bar related-imageuploadedbytapatalk1358612617.739385.jpg

ballbuster
    True. Just sharing how I felt when I switched. Might just be a feeling.

Roadies have a whole different set of things going on. Being all Aero is one of them. Also, their hands are on the sides of the bars.

I dunno... I always feel pinched off when on my road/cross/touring bike with 46cm drop bars. My gut doesn't help matters either. I can barely breathe in the drops.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    The doping gives them super human powers; us mountain bikers need all the help we can get.
    Of course, the doping issue had to be thrown in as we all know that anybody who throws their leg over a road bike must dope, right?

I assume many - if not most of us - also ride a road bike (like when the trails are muddy). And some do gravel riding on rigs with drop bars, some others cyclocross, etc... . Typical width of drop bars are 400, 420, 440, 460, and up to 480mm width. One's anatomy doesn't seem to stop functioning (let alone one's lung capacity) due to the width of a handlebar. Yet it always gets tossed out in the discussion that wider bars equate to deeper breathing. Hmmmm.......really?

I think if you hooked somebody up to a volume of air measuring device and recorded the data, they would be able to inhale the same amount of air into their lungs (lung capacity) whether their arms were at their sides, straight out in front of them, spread out in front of them, or even with their arms crossed over their chest.

If we are talking about Rod's comment that he likes 560mm (and even 580mm) width bars for the tight, tree lined singletrack that he rides, then that translates to around a 22" - 22 3/4" width. I'm a big guy at nearly 6'4" around 190 pounds (at the moment). If I measure my width from outside of arm to outside of arm, it's a hair under 20" in width. In other words - holding my arms straight out in front of me with no impedance on my chest cavity - means that Rod's bars would have me spreading my wings about an inch to an inch and a half wider than their normal hanging at my sides position. So I fail to understand the oft quoted "wider bars will open you up and improve your breathing" or how a wider bar could physically allow one to add more "lung capacity" when I get a full deep breath very easily on my iddy biddy narrow road bike bars of 440mm width.

The main area of a low and deep breath is our abdominal area below the rib cage. If one is sitting on the bike in a good position, it is the abodominal area that should be extending during a full breath - not a high clavicular breath in the upper chest. The thoracic cage should already be extended in a good riding posture so it is not rising and falling with each breath (high breathing or clavicular breathing is really a shallow breath).

Obviously a pet peeve of mine when I hear the "myth" that wide bars improves one's breathing or lung capacity. I could stand to be proven incorrect on that, but I'd have to see the medical data that shows one's lung capacity and breathing do not function at their full ability based on the difference between a 560 or 580mm width bar and one that is wider (provided one's posture and position on the bike is correct).

ballbuster

Not all road bikers dope....

Of course, the doping issue had to be thrown in as we all know that anybody who throws their leg over a road bike must dope, right?

I assume many - if not most of us - also ride a road bike (like when the trails are muddy). And some do gravel riding on rigs with drop bars, some others cyclocross, etc... . Typical width of drop bars are 400, 420, 440, 460, and up to 480mm width. One's anatomy doesn't seem to stop functioning (let alone one's lung capacity) due to the width of a handlebar. Yet it always gets tossed out in the discussion that wider bars equate to deeper breathing. Hmmmm.......really?

I think if you hooked somebody up to a volume of air measuring device and recorded the data, they would be able to inhale the same amount of air into their lungs (lung capacity) whether their arms were at their sides, straight out in front of them, spread out in front of them, or even with their arms crossed over their chest.

If we are talking about Rod's comment that he likes 560mm (and even 580mm) width bars for the tight, tree lined singletrack that he rides, then that translates to around a 22" - 22 3/4" width. I'm a big guy at nearly 6'4" around 190 pounds (at the moment). If I measure my width from outside of arm to outside of arm, it's a hair under 20" in width. In other words - holding my arms straight out in front of me with no impedance on my chest cavity - means that Rod's bars would have me spreading my wings about an inch to an inch and a half wider than their normal hanging at my sides position. So I fail to understand the oft quoted "wider bars will open you up and improve your breathing" or how a wider bar could physically allow one to add more "lung capacity" when I get a full deep breath very easily on my iddy biddy narrow road bike bars of 440mm width.

The main area of a low and deep breath is our abdominal area below the rib cage. If one is sitting on the bike in a good position, it is the abodominal area that should be extending during a full breath - not a high clavicular breath in the upper chest. The thoracic cage should already be extended in a good riding posture so it is not rising and falling with each breath (high breathing or clavicular breathing is really a shallow breath).

Obviously a pet peeve of mine when I hear the "myth" that wide bars improves one's breathing or lung capacity. I could stand to be proven incorrect on that, but I'd have to see the medical data that shows one's lung capacity and breathing do not function at their full ability based on the difference between a 560 or 580mm width bar and one that is wider (provided one's posture and position on the bike is correct).
    ... only the ones on the Podium at big races, like TdF and Giro.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I was just making a bad joke about the doping. Wide bars help a lot on my single speed as far as leverage ... I've never noticed a lung expansion boast. Granted I've not ridden anything less than 665mm in 20 years.

transmitter~receiver
    I love this town.
    I love that damn video! Nice goin'

Imagine having some decent legal techy singletrack puzzles to solve a quarter mile from your front door that you can ride year 'round, that lead up to some more great trails. Yep... that's my backyard!
    Don't have to imagine in ATX. Stoke shared. We're spoiled.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by azpoolguy View Post
    And another one, the shape is perfect, plus they are strong but also very lite..

transmitter~receiver
    I think one would be hard pressed to feel a difference of 2.5mm on each side.
    you'd be surprised
    Quote Originally Posted by azpoolguy View Post
    who's voting?
    is there anything more personal than a handlebar? except maybe a seat?

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    My newest bar:
    Nice tires.

My bar:
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast